UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

@lightningxlock Don’t know if it’s as hard hitting as you’re after but I really liked the Sean Price & Small Professor EP ‘86 Witness’ that came out early this year. 

Enjoyed it more than the majority of the Sean P stuff that’s been released since his death. 

There’s a nice Meyhem Lauren & DJ Muggs EP as well called ‘Members Only’. And another one by Guilty Simpson coming this Friday called ‘Actus Reus’ with features from Kool G Rap and Lil Fame. I liked the first track that’s been put out off that. 

Sure others will be more helpful. I’ve not really had my eye on the ball so much with what’s come out this year. 

3 hours ago, lightningxlock said:

Any gritty, hard hitting shit come out this year? I heard the Cannibal Hulk thing with Ill Bill, that was decent. 

Anything by Conway The Machine. The album he just released Look What I Became is a bit of a banger. Guy can rap his arse off. Big fan.

Bang is a great track by him as well (“My shooter got Dame Lillard from the elbow aim, I thought of that while I was courtside at the Melo game” love it) until Eminem pops up and ruins it.

Not a massive fan of the Griselda lot but I do love Conway.

You might also like the Smoke DZA and Benny The Butcher EP that just came out as well. That’s about it for that style of rap that I’ve enjoyed recently. 

Pharoahe Monch Internal Affairs is finally on streaming platforms (assume they’ve sorted the Godzilla sample). An incredible album from one of the most original rappers ever. One of the first I bought that I deemed a “real hip hop” album (I’m aware that this is stupid). Probably the start of my backpacker phase along with Soundbombing II and Black on Both Sides. Rawkus was on fire in 1999. 

The intro and beat kick in on No Mercy makes me feel I can kick doors in. A monster of a beat.

• Paid Members

That remix of Simon Says with every bugger turning up on it is so good. 

"Bustah Rhymes is like Hacksaw Jim Duggan, been thuggin'"

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot how dope this tune is. First of all Masta Ace is probably the most underrated MC ever, and the best is a stormer. Never realised it was a diss track to Fat Joe. 

Haven’t had time to digest the new Gangstarr album yet but a quick scan through and it sounds great. Slightly bittersweet as I love Guru but at least his legacy lives on.

• Paid Members

Was listening to some Masta Ace earlier, funnily enough. ‘A Long Hot Summer’ is one of those albums I always go back to. 

Stumbled across this track which I hadn’t heard before as well. ‘Come A Long Way’ by Son Of Sam ft. Masta Ace & Large Professor; 

The Gang Starr album hit the spot for me. You just can’t go wrong with Guru on Premier’s beats. 

👍

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Yep. It’s been in the works forfuckingever that one. I think the first mention of it was 2014 when this video surfaced of Sean in the studio playing that very track and saying “me and Fame got a whole EP”. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A8V61LpOBj8

The full thing’s finally out on the 20th and I can’t wait. Thankfully, looking at the track list, his wife’s involvement is kept to a minimum this time unlike when she was doing actual verses on the Imperius Rex album. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Love that Sean Price/Lil Fame album. Here’s a couple of tracks off it;

’Big Gun vs Lil Gun’ feat. M.O.P....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JP5uppQHq0

‘Enemy Of The State’ feat. Conway The Machine & Guilty Simpson...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NMvwOoqFnH0

The rest of the songs are all on Duck Down’s YouTube channel. And @Chest Rockwell will be pleased to know Mrs Price is only in the intro 👍