UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

1 hour ago, lightningxlock said:

Any decent backpacker or hardcore/underground stuff come out in the last 6 months? I didn't pay Hip Hop much attention in 2019 

Check out anything from the Griselda lot, including the new Alchemist produced EP from Conway.

Been revisiting a few of my favourites today, so similar to the forgotten goals from one of the football posts, I'm gonna post some hidden/forgotten gems, that people might not be familiar with.

Might try and do it everyday, but if it just ends up with me posting loads in a row, I won't as I don't want Chest shouting at me. If you have any to add, please share them.

First up, is Keep It Live-El Da Sensei. A very underrated rapper and someone who's solo work I'm more familiar with than his time in Artifacts.

This uses one of my favourite guitar samples ever (used to great effect by Erick Sermon last year as well for Vernia) I first heard this when Prime Cuts played it on his monthly Westwood show. Halcyon days. Enjoy.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Might try and do it everyday, but if it just ends up with me posting loads in a row, I won't as I don't want Chest shouting at me. If you have any to add, please share them.

Go nuts! I don't have any problem with that. I have recently been listening to loads of albums from 2019 that I missed, and have found some great stuff from artists I never knew before.  Will try get round to sharing some tracks in here.

13 hours ago, lightningxlock said:

Any decent backpacker or hardcore/underground stuff come out in the last 6 months? I didn't pay Hip Hop much attention in 2019 

Some of my favourites from 2019 were:

Little Simz - Grey Area

Rapsody - Eve

Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – Bandana

Benny the Butcher – The Plugs I Met

Griselda – WWCD

L'Orange & Jeremiah Jae - Complicate Your Life With Violence

• Paid Members

I’ve been getting into 38 Spesh lately. Any other fans of him? He’s done some good projects with Kool G Rap, Planet Asia, the Griselda lot among others. He produces most of his stuff as well. Really liking what I’ve heard so far. 

Here’s a few tracks;

38 Spesh, Benny & Conway ‘Never Seen A Man Cry’ with the old Scarface sample;

38 Spesh & Planet Asia ‘Snake Charmer’;

38 Spesh & Elcamino ‘Street Signs’;

And this one just came out - 38 Spesh feat. Eto ‘Flour City 2’;

• Admin

@Chest Rockwell just catching up on this thread and I also saw DJ Premier in the last few years and he was atrocious. Just a lot of shouting and generally just a terrible, terrible gig.

One of only two gigs I think I've walked out on, the other was Mos Def at the same venue (Kentish Town Forum). Bad.

Regarding live hip-hop acts with bands... go see an Oddisee gig. No better live act in hip-hop, in my opinion. If you want a taste listen to Beneath The Surface: https://oddiseemmg.bandcamp.com/album/beneath-the-surface-live

PS. Simz was robbed

Great shout @Moo Oddisee is really great live. A stunning album, The Iceberg.

Bacon's Forgotten Rashers (doesn't work, don't care)

K-Otix-World Renown

When I was growing up, there were, in my mind, three places hip hop existed. The west coast, New York and wherever the Cash Money/No Limits lads lived.

So I always loved discovering hip hop from new places, and when I read about this lot in Fat Lace and that they were from Texas, I thought "what are they gonna rap about, cowboys and oil?"

Straight up not fancy rapping and beats to be honest. The Universal is a great turn of the millennium boom bap album, and plenty of MC Baconbits verses were spat over this instrumental. I love it. 

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 3 (No one cares but it's forcing me to write everyday which is helpful)

Aesop Rock-No Regrets

Someone once said to me that Aesop Rock says abstract things and uses lots of words in his verses because he can and wants to be too clever for most people.

This is absolute bollocks. Whilst he may be an incredibly verbose and dense rapper (I need to look up his lyrics all the time as I don't get a lot of the pop culture references), he is one that rewards repeated listens as you unravel the thick wordplay and try to make sense of it. Sometimes I like Lil Fame shouting gun noises, sometimes I like to hear someone say "Jiggy-jabberjaw vitamin idol and primal rages
When bible page verse tidal waves begun"

He ain't for everyone but he reminds me of a time when I was getting into the "backpack" shit, and going off to hip hop nights in London every week and all that good stuff.

This is probably his most accessible song, a story of an introverted artist looking through her life. Blockhead (a very underrated producer) blesses this beat as well. 

Includes the lines: "Look I've never had a dream in my life, because a dream is what you wanna do but still haven't pursued, I knew what I wanted and did it until it was done, so I've been the dream that I wanted to be since day one" which is one of my favourite things ever, and the album Labor Days is an underground classic. Could put every track off it in here, it's that good.

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 4

Alchemist feat Mr Eon & Evidence-E=MC2

I first heard this on the DJ Yoda and DJ Greenpeace (who gets a shout out in the song) mixtape Jews Paid* (which I bought from Tony Vegas of Scratch Perverts fame in Mr Bongos fact fans), and I'm pretty sure this would've been the first Alchemist beat I ever heard, and of course he's one of the best and most diverse producers to ever exist.

Just a great laid back track and always great to hear Evidence. Mr Eon is a fairly uninspiring rapper, however saying that, I bummed The High and Mighty and Smut Peddlers when I was around 16/17 and Home Field Advantage is a decent album, featuring another top Alchemist beat in Top Prospects and a few good Eminem verses on The Last Hit. Enjoy.

*you can hear the whole tape here https://www.mixcloud.com/deejaypostie/dj-yoda-dj-greenpeace-jews-paid-fatlace-mixtape-1999/ and it really is a complete snapshot of late 90's underground hip hop if that's your thing, and it definitely is mine.

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 5

Phat Kat-Dedication To The Suckers

One of the highlights of my seeing hip hop live days is seeing Slum Village perform at Essential Festival in 2000.

Phat Kat was with them and played this, and I think Don't Nobody Care About Us (the b-side) as well. It was really great, and although the highlight was DITC, Schooly D and seeing Westwood clear a whole tent with one song, I'm still pleased I saw Jay Dee live, even if 15 year old didn't appreciate it as much as I would've later in my life.

This has got to be one of the first Dilla beats I heard, and still one of my favourite. Gutted I sold all my vinyl when I was about 18. A bad moment as I had a lot of singles like this.

"Half of you motherfuckers don't deserve a record deal, for real" True facts Mr Kat.

Bacons Forgotten Rashers Part 6

Phil Da Agony-Kronkite

The Creators-The Weight album is absolute fucking gold. There's not a duff track on there, and it features Hard Margin, which is my favourite Black Star track ever.

And it features this. Comfortably sits inside my top 20 hip hop songs of all time, and is hard as fuck. I love it a lot. And Phil is an excellent rapper.

"I spend a hundred dollars on Nikes, while they give another million to Mike, something just ain't right" Wicked.