UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• 3 weeks later...

There's been LOADS of decent stuff out recently, but I've been really bad at remembering what they are and meds upped means my memory is worse than ever, so here's a couple that have tickled my pickle.

Mr Muthafuckin' eXquire (No, me neither)-Black Mirror 

Produced by Madlib, this is a really breezy beat, and he's a petty decent rapper. Two thumbs up for 'Lib as always.

Pop Smoke-44 Bulldog

Haven't heard the full album yet, but have heard good things, but loving this. Sad that he died at such an early age, as he was going to be huge.

Pharoahe Monch & Styles P-Same Shit, Different Toilet

I mean, that's a terrible title but this, produced by Marco Polo is strong as you'd expect from all involved.

Kanye West feat Travis Scott-Wash Us In The Blood

Finally, a Kanye song that I actually like!

I think he's probably the most overrated hip hop artist of all time (not his fault of course), but this is great, and exactly what I want from him. But that's not the point is it?

• Paid Members

Just been listening to the new Apollo Brown album with Che Noir, ‘As God Intended’, and on first listen it’s one of the better albums I’ve heard in 2020 so far.

Couple of tracks off it...

‘Hustle Don’t Give’ feat. Black Thought;

‘Follow The Wisdom’ feat. Skyzoo;

Haven’t really gotten into many female rappers for whatever reason but I’ve liked Che Noir on a few projects she’s popped up on now. ‘Juno’ she did with 38 Spesh was really good as well. 

Couple of very nice things came out yesterday that I've enjoyed this morning on my riverside walk and stop for a coffee.

Blu & Exile-Miles 

As strong as you would imagine from these two, and any album that features Aceyalone is alright with me. Stand out track is Roots Of Blue. 9 minutes that goes through from blues chanting to spoken word to swampy hip hop. Fucking sick.

Oddisee-Odd Cure

The Iceberg is probably my favourite hip hop album of the last 5 years so I was ecstatic to see that this new EP, which was recorded in two weeks, was released yesterday.

An excellent rapper, producer and someone that makes everything fit in it's place on his albums, I have no idea how Oddisee is not much, much bigger than he is. But there you go. Even the skits (usually straight skips) are interesting. Need a full album now.

Stand out track: Still Strange. Beautiful. 

Also, whilst not really hip hop, as it's produced by 9th Wonder I'm going to include it, the Dinner Party EP came out too.

Perfect sunshine music (if you like sunshine, I personally detest it) and just lovely, lovely stuff.

This has been my jam for a few weeks now