UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Oh cool. I will have a look.

My mate recommended me a doc called The Rapper Who Cut Off His Penis. It can be viewed in full on YouTube, and is apparently more interesting than the title makes it sound. I haven't watched it yet.

Scratch is one of my all-time favorite documentaries, up there with King of Kong.

That sounds...ominous but I’ll have a look. Probably one for the Holy Grail thread, but I still search for The Hip Hop Years Channel 4 three part series every now and again. The story has been told a million times but I was at my backpackingest when that came out and I loved it.

The Scratch and Bob documentary is the best one I’ve seen in the last few years. The footage of Jay Z listening to the infamous Big L freestyle is lovely to see. 

• Moderators

I went to a screening of that and Stretch turned up impromptu for a Q&A. Stretch seemed to have some problems with how it has been edited to support this consciousness narrative of Bob's  and cleaned up a bit from what it was really like (or more accurately, his memory of what it was like). The most notable omission, for him, was Mobb Deep. He felt they played a really important part and were totally overlooked for the film. 

That said, who really knows the reasons behind  whatever editing decisions were made. That's just his interpretation, Bob might well have had other reasons. Maybe there just wasn't a place for it that still flowed right, maybe technically the footage wasn't usable.

I really enjoyed it too though. Great doc.

That’s really interesting, and sounds great. Was that at the Chip Shop in Brixton?

I really love Stretch and Bob. Their podcast is well worth a listen and there’s some great people on Twitter (yeah I know you hate it), that post links to their old shows.

The Madlib and Freddie Gibbs Bandana album is hands down album of the year.

Madlib gets lost in the discussion when it comes to Greatest Producers Of All Time conversation but he has to be up there.

The track featuring Anderson Paak is the stand out for me. Absolutely check it out when you can.

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Madlib gets lost in the discussion when it comes to Greatest Producers Of All Time conversation but he has to be up there.

Does he? Everyone knows he's amazing. Have you got a list? He's definitely in my top 5. 

Anyway. I was coming into this thread to say bandana was out now so I have nothing much more to add. I've been eagerly awaiting this album for a good few years and it has lived up to the hype. Gibbs is hit and miss in his work generally but Madlib always brings out the best in him. 

Oh yeah, everyone knows he’s amazing but for me, I just don’t hear enough praise about him, as contradicting as that statement goes. 

A top 5? Ooof, probably as hard as a top 5 rappers but in no particular order would be: Premier, Pete Rock, Madlib, Diamond D and Jay Dee. But that leaves so many out!

Preemo would have to be number one for me as that’s whose production really changed things for me in how I heard and appreciated hip hop growing up. Depends what your preferences are I suppose. And I know he got a bit paint-by-numbers but he’s made so many of my favourite beats, I can’t look past him.

15 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Diamond D? You must be kidding. For what, one great album?

It goes Madlib, Preemo, Dilla, Rza, Alchemist.

Nah, Diamond D has made some of the dopest beats, and makes the type of shit I like so he’s in for me. Again, personal preference. 

Great shout on Alchemist. Responsible for some of my favourite beats (E=MC2, Top Prospects, No Mercy, The Last Line Of Defense, Focused Daily). Incredibly diverse producer.