UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

I've seen this and that other Wu / PE / De La tour getting hype responses... Am I the only person not feeling the idea of these big nostalgia shows? I just can't imagine enjoying them that much.

Edit: just listened to that OGC track. Nice one @SuperBacon

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

OGC were affiliated with Boot Camp/Heltah Skeltah and Smif n Wessun. Think that ‘No Fear’ track was actually to do with some beef between them and Biggie at the time. Something about them accusing BIG of biting their lyrics. Fuck knows? They even had a fake Biggie in the video. Rock from Heltah Skeltah talked about it on VladTV a year or so back; 

This track off the same album is quality too; 

Speaking of that whole Duck Down hip hop faction, Smif n Wessun’s new 9th Wonder produced album dropped today as well. 

Nice one @wandshogun09 I’ve always been aware of the Boot Camp Clik group, but never paid attention to any of them apart from the “hits”, but yeah that OGC album is wicked. 

Heard mixed things about that Smif n Wessun album but with that producer, it really should be good. I’ve been revisiting the Little Brother stuff, and it’s so great still.

• Paid Members

I’m not sure what to make of the Smif n Wessun album. Some real good tracks but it didn’t do it for me like I was hoping. I think like with Wu Tang - 36 Chambers and Nas - Illmatic, Smif n Wessun’s ‘Dah Shinin’ album will always be a bastard live up to though. 

While we’re on the Boot Camp Clik, check these out @SuperBacon if you haven’t heard them. 

The Fab 5 (Heltah Skeltah and OGC) - Blah; 

Love that. And young Sean Price killed it with his verse. 

”Time for some action, dick-in-your-mouth satisfaction. I pull it out, you ‘Breathe Again’ like Toni Braxton.

I’m asking n——s, but I’m blasting n——s. Yo, we pass them n——s, so the Ruck just laugh at n——s.

My mind ills off rhyme skills and nine mils. So I’ll drill styles that keep the mind filled. 

Blunts get smoked and chumps get choked, when they try to quote the notes that B-I-G Ruck wrote.”

Boot Camp Clik - ‘Headz Ain’t Redee’ (Original Buckshot Mix);

Really like the use of the sample from James Brown’s ‘The Payback’ there. Fits perfectly and this version is way superior to the remix. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Erick Sermon has just released one of the best albums this year.

Yes really. He’s always been a great producer, but I’ve always thought him a lazy rapper, which is still true, but this album is great. Only one dud, which is May Sound Crazy, but the title track Vernia uses one of my favourite guitar samples (used on El Da Sensei-Keep It Live-an all time great track), and the quality through out is pretty high.

Green Eyed Bandit continues to be one of the worst hip hop monikers though. 

• 2 weeks later...