UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Oh cool. I didn't know they had a new album, but Muggs has been producing some great stuff recently, namely the planet Asia and Roc Marciano albums. I will check that out!

The Roc Marciano one is next on my list to listen to. If you go into the Cypress Hill with the right mind set (it's essentially a concept album) I think you'll really dig it.

• Moderators

Nice. What you said about a coherent piece of work that's more than just beats and rhymes is very true. I think it's one of the things that's got me so excited about the Edan and Homeboy Sandman album. It's funny that, even though it's a concept album with a single producer, the Polo/Ace album didn't have that feel for me.

On 11/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Oh cool. I didn't know they had a new album, but Muggs has been producing some great stuff recently, namely the planet Asia and Roc Marciano albums. I will check that out!

That Muggs and Marciano album is superb. Grimey, dusty, makes me feel like I'm stuck in some dingy, smoke filled studio whilst some hip hop/funk band are playing. It's great stuff. Good shout

• 4 weeks later...

Posting as I can't seem to find anywhere talking about how similar sounding Too $hort - only dimes is and Ariana Grande - Thank u next are. Both in my opinion are good but it's driving me mad not finding anyone else that thinks the songs instrumentals are similar. As they both came out at a similar time doubt it would be a case of who sampled who first (or if they was an original sample they both used) like Geto boys - mind playing tricks on me and Kodak black - Transporting both sampling the late great Isaac Hayes. Or just might be a gargantuan coincidence. Anyway my thoughts are shared.

• Paid Members

Just got around to listening to Chester P’s newest album that came out last week and it’s quality. 

Really liked this track ‘The Sermon’ with Ramson Badbones;

Edit - OK, seems this song is actually years old but I’ve never heard it. Not up on Chester P, or UK stuff in general really. Apparently this was a mixtape years ago that’s been re-released. As you were. 

Edited by wandshogun09

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Just got around to listening to Chester P’s newest album that came out last week and it’s quality. 

Really liked this track ‘The Sermon’ with Ramson Badbones;

Edit - OK, seems this song is actually years old but I’ve never heard it. Not up on Chester P, or UK stuff in general really. Apparently this was a mixtape years ago that’s been re-released. As you were. 

His most recent was The Post Apocalyptic Story Teller which was very, very decent.

One of the best MCs to ever find out of this or any other country. Been a fan since New Mic Order, and one of the nicest humans I’ve ever met. Seeing him next month along with Lewis Parker, can’t wait.

19 hours ago, I like root beer said:

Posting as I can't seem to find anywhere talking about how similar sounding Too $hort - only dimes is and Ariana Grande - Thank u next are. Both in my opinion are good but it's driving me mad not finding anyone else that thinks the songs instrumentals are similar. As they both came out at a similar time doubt it would be a case of who sampled who first (or if they was an original sample they both used) like Geto boys - mind playing tricks on me and Kodak black - Transporting both sampling the late great Isaac Hayes. Or just might be a gargantuan coincidence. Anyway my thoughts are shared.

Tons of people of Twitter have been going on about how it sounds like a Ryuichi Sakamoto track.

• Paid Members

The Beastie Boys YouTube channel has suddenly been uploading all their videos.I wonder whether it's because that book came out recently.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

The Czarface/Ghostface album dropped today. Only heard one of the tracks, not had chance to listen to the rest yet. Anyone listened to the full thing? Not the biggest fan of Czarface but I love Ghost so I’m definitely going to give it a go. 

Love the artwork on Czarface stuff as well, btw. 

AF26055D-B623-4642-8CAE-BE478941D053.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

It's alright. It's much better than the Czarface/MF Doom album & there's a couple of really good tracks. It annoys me how awesome the beats & samples on the first 2 albums were but then they just seemingly took a left turn with it. 7L has been the worst thing about their last couple of records.

• Paid Members

Big L died 20 years ago today! 

Also, just seen that the Sean Price and Lil Fame joint project ‘The Price Of Fame’ is finally coming out soon. Bernadette Price confirmed it late last year on Instagram. 

UZf4VY.jpg

Apparently it was pretty much done years ago when Sean was alive and I remember seeing this;

But when he died I kind of thought it would never see the light of day.