Retro Red Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 That was my point. Nothing to do with the costume, more that Owens has seemingly named his daughter after the Legion of Doom which is fantastic.
Paid Members PunkStep Posted November 2, 2015 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2015 Has he really? I'm guessing he hasn't. Elodie is a French name and he is French-Canadian after all.
Retro Red Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 I'm not saying he decided 'her name is LOD', but I am saying that it's a big coincidence that he as a huge wrestling fan picked a name which also phonetically doubles as the nickname of one of the biggest tag teams of his childhood. For similar reasons my dog is called Blake because of the Beverley brother. But not because he was my favourite growing up, primarily it was because I'd look like a tube shouting 'Here Ultimate Warrior!' in the park. Now we wait for Kofi to tap into his Ghana heritage and call his kid N'Dubbelyoo-O
Paid Members garynysmon Posted November 2, 2015 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2015 Haha, I've lost count over the number of threads along the lines of "All my mates stopped watching in 1993 and I had no-one at school to swap tapes with". I was so gutted having finally got Sky at home in Spring of that year, that by the Survivor Series I was the only sad git who was still talking about the WWF.
The Clint Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 Yeah same here out of my group of mates I was the only one that stuck with it every week during this time. Most of them said they had lost interest but there was a couple of them that just said it because their parents cancelled Sky Sports so they acted like they didn't care. I think the product became more popular again when Raw started going out in the 10pm slot on Friday nights. People seemed to be taking notice of it again. On Sky between 93-96 it was all just hightlight shows on at teatime.
Paid Members garynysmon Posted November 2, 2015 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2015 I think the product became more popular again when Raw started going out in the 10pm slot on Friday nights. People seemed to be taking notice of it again. On Sky between 93-96 it was all just hightlight shows on at teatime. I remember being mindblown by the new Raw set in March 1997 and expanding to two hours.
Paid Members PunkStep Posted November 2, 2015 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2015 For similar reasons my dog is called Blake because of the Beverley brother. But not because he was my favourite growing up, primarily it was because I'd look like a tube shouting 'Here Ultimate Warrior!' in the park. That's fantastic. He needs to be made aware that he has a dog named after him!
Retro Red Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 He already knows. He cried when I told him the news. The genius wrote a poem about it. It was beautiful.
JakeRobertsParoleOfficer Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 Does anything sum up the death of the boom period in this country quite like the WWF section of the 1993 Christmas Argos catalogue? The state of this. I was 13 then. WWF really seemed to diebiver here then! Those pics r such a piss poor representation of wrestling. It basically looks like an accountant, indian and the bad guy from Live and Let Die! They were hardly going to fly off the shelves were they??
Otto Dem Wanz Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 Haha, even the Argos people weren't arsed - hi kids here's your new "realistic" IRS figure, there's not much else going for him but he's "realistic!" Even the "exciting" and "fabulous" descriptions of Tatanka and Shango seem sarcastic.
Paid Members Tommy! Posted November 2, 2015 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2015 What was the hot shit in 93, biker mice from mars was it?
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted November 2, 2015 Awards Moderator Posted November 2, 2015 What was the hot shit in 93, biker mice from mars was it? For me anyway, Jurassic Park was the thing in '93. I remember Biker Mice from Mars but I think they came along a bit later. Was Power Rangers on over here in '93?
Paid Members Tommy! Posted November 2, 2015 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2015 Power rangers was 93/94 if I remember right, I had the toys to fit in and try and make friends but was never up early enough without something more fun to do to actually watch the show.
JakeRobertsParoleOfficer Posted November 2, 2015 Posted November 2, 2015 What was the hot shit in 93, biker mice from mars was it? Champ manager 93 on Amiga 500 became my new love!
Paid Members IANdrewDiceClay Posted November 2, 2015 Paid Members Posted November 2, 2015 Looking at the catalogue from winter 1993, they seem to be pushing Jurassic Park. Thunderbirds was all the range following the revamp. Terminator 2 is still getting a run out, some 18 months after it was popular. Crash Test Dummies is there. And of course, Gladiators. Bit of a shit time to be a kid. Post-Ghostbusters and Turtles and pre-Power Rangers, they were scraping the barrel to get some popular toy line out there.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.