Raw discussion. Shit is on. ***Spoilers***

IANdrewDiceClay

I loved Raw. Vince knows how to do it. As for the fan incident if a fan touches a wrestler I think they cross the line and the wrestler has free license to retaliate to defend themselves.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cant believe this is a debate, while others are pushing, the mobile phone footage shows the guy quite clearly falls into Punk the first time, puts up his hands to apologise, then hits punk when putting his glasses on by accident. Feel quite bad for him really.

You need to watch the gif more clearly. Keep your eye on the guy behind "shades guy" with the white sleeve who clearly strikes punk.

Also Ian keeps saying "but he's pressing charges." I haven't read that anywhere.... All I've read is that he is making a police report. It's not the same thing. True... It's often the first step you take before charges are pressed, but it's also the first step you take if you want to take any kind of legal action.

In other words, getting a police report is a precaution you tske in case you want press charges or take someone to court.

Edit: in fact here it is! They have apparently taken a report, but the fan at the time had not pressed charges.

UPDATE: Laura Cole of CBS-13 has posted the following on the story…

“Just talked to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department about the alleged incident involving a fan and @CMPUNK. ”

“The Department says they took a report about the alleged incident involving @CMPunk. They say the fan complained of knee pain. The Department says they will look at the alleged incident to determine whether to forward the findings to the District Attorney’s Office.”

“I only had a few minutes with the fan involved with the alleged incident before Deputies needed to speak with him for a second time.”

“As of last night, that fan DID NOT say whether he would consider filing charges. I didn’t get the chance to ask him that question.”

When did Meltzer report Brock-Austin at Mania? Never seen that. In fact I've heard him say it's incredibly unlikely what with the whole Lesnar's style/Austin's neck issue.

I'm sure it was a post-Mania 28 Wrestling Observer. I don't have it on my computer as I didn't save the file.

Sin Cara is shit. They brought him in as a replacement for Rey Mysterio and a potential cross over star and his star has completely diminished and hasn't delivered the goods at all. "Oh two years after his debut, they are building him for a match that will mean fuck all to anyone". Big fucking deal.

So given the opportunity, you wouldn't bring in someone with the exposure and popularity of Mistico? The thinking behind his signing can't really be faulted. He's starting to find his feet now and I expect, at the least, he's going to be successful with merchandising if he sticks about. Rey Mysterio had been working in the US for years before coming into the WWE. I think it's unfair to brand someone like Mistico as shit as soon as he's thrown into a foreign environment despite money drawn.

As for the fan incident if a fan touches a wrestler I think they cross the line and the wrestler has free license to retaliate to defend themselves.

Except punk hasnt got free license to just turn around and strike anyone whilst hoping hes got the right guy. How would you like it if some wrestler just smacked you one for no reason?

• Paid Members
Because everyone needs 20 minute matches. They should have given Goldberg more 20 minute matches.

They did. Which is actually relevant to my argument. Goldberg caught on while he was green and hadn't a clue what to do. By the end on 1998, he was working long matches. Goldberg was only around about 3 years. He was still learning while holding the belt. Anyone can see Ryback is over huge. They can't have him continuing to squash nobodies like Albert while he's super over. There is still no evidence he's anything more than a one dimensional 2 minute worker. He's over, but he's not Sheamus, CM Punk or John Cena.

He'd had matches on NXT before his run as Ryback.

He barely did anything more than tag matches in the time he was there.

I think he may have had matches on Raw as Skip Sheffield before he got injured, but can't say with certainty.

He worked tag matches.

They've had him under contract for seven years. I'd imagine they kept him on for so long as they've seen something.

His size obviously. He's a freak of a man. And a huge reason why he's over without doing much of anything.

I'll be honest, up until he killed Albert on Smackdown, I thought he was rotten. But he got over, but them rolling the dice pairing him with some big names because months of doing the same shit was killing him. Its hard not to be into him now. He's still the same old Ryback, though.

So given the opportunity, you wouldn't bring in someone with the exposure and popularity of Mistico? The thinking behind his signing can't really be faulted. He's starting to find his feet now and I expect, at the least, he's going to be successful with merchandising if he sticks about. Rey Mysterio had been working in the US for years before coming into the WWE. I think it's unfair to brand someone like Mistico as shit as soon as he's thrown into a foreign environment despite money drawn.

Wait a second, you said "the UKFF thought he was shit". The idea to bring in Mistico was championed, because hardly anyone saw him and he was touted as being great. When people on here saw him is when they buried him. He's been awful. The fact is, the last two years have been a disaster for him. People who slated him were absolutely correct to. He had a match so bad with the Miz the other week, they couldnt even edit the mistakes off Smackdown. I'm sure I could look impressive with Rey Mysterio holding my hand through tag matches every week. They are pushing him because they have to justify pushing him. Not because he's some super worker.

I was never suggesting he was 'talented' in the sense of knowing all the ins and outs of working a match. You summed it up yourself though. He's a freak of a man. You'd have a load of freakishly big guys years ago, but now the landscape is filled with small guys. He sticks out - not just his size, but that crazed look and eye.

I can bet that if Ryback were to get the belt at any point, he'd be learning whilst holding the belt too. Everyone learns to some extent whilst they're holding the belt. He'd be learning how to improve his long matches I'm sure but I don't see why you'd not give him a go based on whether he can do long matches or not. You accentuate the positives and if this crazy looking mountain of a man can look dominant throwing people about, why not go with it and see where it takes you rather than worry about how he is in long matches? He can improve on that once he's got the crowd behind him. Batista was pretty horrid when he was first having longer matches in WWE but he adapted to it. They took a chance on him because that'd seen what he was like in OVW and he had a great look.

I'm going to say that he's not going to be around for 5 minutes anyway. I know it's easy to say with this current build, but I think a lot of criticism (like the Goldberg chants - he was being slated for having a similar build to Goldberg when it clearly wasn't the parents and their kids) was unjustified. He's won a load of them over now with the 'feed me more' chants which is a plus point for him as it's no easy task.

• Paid Members
I can bet that if Ryback were to get the belt at any point, he'd be learning whilst holding the belt too.

Exactly. I suggested that pages ago. Someone said "you can't do Ryback style matches in main events these days", but the belt doesn't have to be in the main events. Goldberg was rarely in main events when he held the belt. Its worth a go. Ryback is super hot at the minute. They either have a choice of waiting (and risk losing the moment) or going with it. You can always put the belt back on Punk or Cena later on.

I'll be the first to admit, I didn't get the whole Ryback hype. Because he was doing fuck all of interest. But who doesn't like a big mentalist getting in the face of the champion?

• Paid Members

Fuck yeah... the wrestling's good again!!

I haven't bothered posting any thoughts on Raw for a long time because I've been finding it harder and harder to watch since the jump to four hours, but the return of Vince this week was great. Seemingly he's realised how bad things were getting and a shake-up backstage can only be a good thing for the product right now.

While I do like Jerry Lawler, it's been fantastic having JBL and JR back behind the desk. Both men really added to that main event. Great drama.

Happy to see Ryback getting over and a bit of a push at the top of the card. They needed to do it if the character was ever going to get over properly- there's nothing to lose by throwing him in the deep end. It's sink or swim time for him now. He might fail spectacularly, or they might find their next superstar. God knows they need someone to step up.

Wait a second, you said "the UKFF thought he was shit". The idea to bring in Mistico was championed, because hardly anyone saw him and he was touted as being great. When people on here saw him is when they buried him. He's been awful. The fact is, the last two years have been a disaster for him. People who slated him were absolutely correct to. He had a match so bad with the Miz the other week, they couldnt even edit the mistakes off Smackdown. I'm sure I could look impressive with Rey Mysterio holding my hand through tag matches every week. They are pushing him because they have to justify pushing him. Not because he's some super worker.

If they were looking for someone to replace Mysterio, who better than one of the hottest properties in lucha libre? I don't think he's had great matches in WWE thus far, but I do think that given time he could get to that stage. Again, he's had to completely readjust to WWE's style. I don't know whose decision it was to give him some of the finishing moves he's had, but I think that was a bad choice and I'm not saying he's exempt from some criticism. He looked clueless and really struggled to work out how to get the crowd behind him and it was cringeworthy, but I wouldn't have expected him to click straight away. I'm not saying that what he's been producing has been great and people have been wrong to say he's been shit, I'm more focussing on people writing him off straight away.

Part of the reason they're pushing him is that they know he can make them a load of money for them from the Hispanic audience eventually.

Really enjoyed Raw this week, the last segment with the Vince and Punk match and the aftermath of it with Ryback and Cena and Vince telling him to choose who he wants to face or he will I absolutely loved it. Feels like it's given the whole main event picture the trigger pull it needed as I've been enjoying it for ages but finally by having Vince get involved it seems like it's really got important now. Just hope that knobhead with the stupid sounding name hasn't ruined it for us all by getting Punk suspended, fired or punished.

As far as that goes I can't see them firing him but sadly could see him getting suspended or punished. I am a big Punk fan and agree that if it happened to most people they would turn around and smack the guy behind them or even just have a right go at him even though a lot are saying they wouldn't and saying Punk's in the wrong, obviously they would stand and allow someone to push and slap them in the back of the head. But my point is if Punk had got the dick who did hit him everyone would say rightfully deserved and no problem but he didn't he got someone who was innocent and I think unless there's any proof he shoved him at some point then he can take Punk or WWE to the cleaners.

On the other hand the real idiot who did it he's outed himself, admitted he laid his hands on a wrestler on Twitter, well he has pretty much given evidence there that he meant to do it and he could easily get into trouble for that, it was assault. Punk could press charges on him and also use that as evidence that he was acting in self defense, accidently hitting the wrong person in self defence when your back is turned must have some sort of loophole in it, such as the innocent person hit can charge the agressor who caused the act of self defense in the first place.

Archived