TNA Bound For Glory 2012 Offical Discussion Thread (THIS SUNDAY)

wrestlingmad

I liked the show alot - thought there was some really good stuff in the X, TV and Tag title matches, the World title match was good and the Bully/Sting/Parksy/Hulk/Devon stuff was a hoot. Even quite enjoyed the Joey Ryan match. Wasn't keen on the KO title bout, but like Tara as a character and the post-match antics were quite funny. Storm vs Roode was a belter. Would've been a perfect way to close out the show if it'd been for the title. Oh well.

Enjoyed. :thumbsup:

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I think Hulk Hogan has bigger fish to fry than whether Austin Aries is a babyface at the minute.
Not being funny, but creative wise, I bet he really doesn't. Whether the champ is heel or face is quite a big deal, and the sort of thing Hulk would have interests in. Not saying he did change storylines, mind.

Also, generally, if he's wrong about something he gets corrected pretty sharpish. He's been talking about this sort of stuff for ages.

• Paid Members

I was talking more about suing his best mate for putting a video of him shagging some lass, than creative wise to be fair. He was talking about how life is a struggle and his current wife being upset with him all last week. Life is more important than who the TNA champion is, at the minute.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hogan does some injury angle in the next few weeks. I think he needs to go away for a bit now.

Despite all the good on this show, it'll forever be remembered as Devon being the 'big reveal'. Terrible.

TNA need to learn something about subtlety. Devon would have been a FAR bigger shock if they hadn't whored out the Devon references. I get the foreshadowing future events, but they hammered it home worse than Michael Cole on Raw.

Roode vs Storm was immense. Agree about the old school early 90's match. Both guys earned their money tonight. King Mo might have been a bit pointless, but they showed that the match didn't need the World Title even though it probably should have had it.

Devon though. It was clear as soon as he emerged, all covered up that it was Devon, with Garrett Bischoff being the skinny cunt hanging about also. They did miss a trick with Matt Morgan though, I don't like Morgan but to NOT have him as part of the Aces & 8's is a big swing and a miss.

• Paid Members

It was a solid show, RVD/Zema was surprisingly good, shame about Zema losing the belt but I suppose there was nowhere else to go with him, Joe and Magnus was also a nice little match, hopefully this will start some kind of series with them...

The 3 way tag which inevitably turned into a predictable movefest, just felt like a massive waste of the guys in it. It felt like an ROH Scramble match from 2003 and was just missing The Carnage Crew or Izzy and Dixie to round out the numbers. Got to love Chavo bringing up Eddy when the crowd was turning on them. What a worker.

Roode/Storm was fantastic and clearly if TNA hadn't shit the bed, this should have been the main event. Aries push was officially a waste of time no matter how good the eventual match with Jeff was. They've done nothing but play up his weaknesses this whole run and it's almost like a mercy kill taking the belt off of him. He doesn't help himself though with his fucking cape and his smalltime indy heel schtick. I honestly think he's somebody who'd be better off being "guy who wrestles" ala Angle and AJ, than trying to do his forced character.

Fuck the Aces story though. The Devon reveal would have been ok if it was part of a bigger reveal on the night, but as the payoff for months of this boring shit, it wasn't enough.

I get the feeling they're going to stretch the Aces and Eights story out to Lockdown now - hence not completely blowing their load at BFG.

Zema will get the belt back I reckon, which will probably do more for him than getting through this match by the skin of his teeth would have.

Really enjoyed the show, the only really disappointing match for me was Miss Tessmacher vs Tara.

Loved the Storm/Roode match, Joe/Magnus was excellent and thought the main event was terrific. I think Aries going after the belt could be really good and Hardy/Aries really clicked on the night.

Aces and 8's will drag out another couple of months, but the Devon reveal will give it a new angle which will help TNA with that.

Arena, crowd and overall product looked good on Sunday. It's a shame the American public won't get behind TNA when they tour, because the shows on the road are really fun and crowd is always excited by the product. For the money involved too :angry:

• Paid Members

I'm in two minds with the Devon reveal. It makes sense from a storyline standpoint since he's just "left" TNA and Hogan's been praising him interviews recently. Ian's right that it would've been better placed on the go home show rather than the Pay Per View itself though, which really should've had a better pay off. It wouldn't have stopped them keeping the storyline going if they'd had Bischoff and Jarrett unmask as well. In fact, it would've made it a lot better.

Hogan beating Aces and Eights down was a bit shit too. It somewhat defeats the Impact of "Aces and Eights having free reign" when Hogan can knock them all out as easy as that. Even Devon's punches had no effect on him.

Only other complaint was that Tazz trying to put over Ryan was a bit clunky and it might've been better if they'd stuck with him not thinking Ryan was good enough for TNA, especially since he needed Matt Morgan's help to win. That was a minor niggle though, and I enjoyed the rest of the show. One of the first PPVs I've seen in a while where the winner of the vast majority of the matches hasn't been obvious from the start of the show.

We still have a bunch of bikers. And they still have masks on. Except Devon of course. No wonder they didn't want Hogan in the match. He beat the fuck out of all of them and then unmasked Devon. If you didn't already know, this Aces and Eights crap is dragging TNA down so much. I'm shocked anyone can defend this, because its the same thing all the time. Every week for three months, they do this Black Scorpion act and nothing ever progresses. And nothing has here really. A wrestling show is about characters you want to invest in. Not a bunch of masked men who nobody has a clue about.

Seriously? Aces and Eights have gained "full access" to Impact by winning that match. I'd say that's progression. Now we can go about finding out who Aces and Eights are and what their aim is. I'm pretty certain that things will pick up once we learn that Eric Bischoff is the leader, which I expect to happen fairly shortly.

The Devon reveal didn't do anything for me, but it would have been even more uninspiring had Hogan unmasked Mike Knox or Garret Bischoff. At least with Devon there's a legitimate storyline reason for him siding with Bischoff's gang against Hogan and TNA.

I would agree that this angle has went downhill sharply in the last month or two, but I feel that's more to do with Hulk Hogan's completely cartoon personna rather than the lack of an unmasking - which was never going to happen before BFG. Perfect case in point: Aces and Eights are just through beating two of TNA's biggest stars on the biggest show of the year and then Hulk Hogan comes down the ramp and takes them all out with a single punch. It's just sillyness. The downturn of this angle has undeniably coincided with the return of Hulk Hogan from his surgery, but I do think that it's salvageable once Eric Bischoff is back on screen and we start learning more about the group.

Oh and just to point out, Joey Ryan is fucking terrible. Apparently JB and others really like him because he has charisma? From what I've seen of him, promo wise, he's gash. Plus his teeth are yellow as fuck. Hopefully now he's got a contract he can afford a few whitening strips. Maybe it adds to his sleazy character, but it looks terrible.

• Paid Members

What's terrible about him? He's not the best in the ring, and he's nowhere near as charismatic as he seems to think he is, but he's got an entertaining character, he's not hideously botcheriffic and he's comparatively solid on the mike.

• Paid Members
Now we can go about finding out who Aces and Eights are and what their aim is.

Sort of revelations that really should have come out at the biggest PPV of the year? Built up in both a lengthy and (they think) dramatic manner, this should have been a clear and decisive "end of chapter" for the mystery. If we are expected to watch Impact to go through the unraveling of the identities of the masked men, their leader and their purpose, then they've executed a storyline continuation at the PPV to get you to carry on watching. Using pay per views to sell the free television is backwards. It's... well, it's WcW. And unmasking D-Von was the equivalent of Hall and Nash bringing out Bubba or Wallstreet instead of the Hulk at Bash at the Beach.

I get the feeling they're going to stretch the Aces and Eights story out to Lockdown now - hence not completely blowing their load at BFG.

Fucking hell, I hope not. In any case, stretching a feud out that long still wouldn't have required the feud to continue to be "TNA babyfaces vs anonymous gimps in masks" after we've had this many months of that already. Let's see who they are, so you can start booking actual matches with some actual intrigue behind them.

Archived