TNA Bound For Glory 2012 Offical Discussion Thread (THIS SUNDAY)

wrestlingmad

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Gotta say I'm really disapointed with the X-Divison title. I just think Zema Ion is shit in every way possible and bores the life out of me.

See, I feel the exact opposite way. He's not been as explosive as Aries, true, but he's been a pretty good shit-heel - he's had some good outings, but he's been unlikable enough that people still want to boo him, no matter whom he's facing.

• Paid Members

Ion really is quite good. He's improved a shit load in the last year. He is an unlikable character as well, which is the intention. Its just, for whatever reason, the X Division has hit rock bottom since Destination X. They seem to be desperate to get Football Jesse back to do that angle. Its possible they might announce something tonight, but the fact they haven't had a storyline going into the PPV involving the X title.

• Paid Members

I think the problem, for any wrestling company, is that at best it's really quite difficult to focus on more than a couple of championships and storylines at a time. TNA has six - well, five really, but still. The tag and KO singles belts are getting a bit of attention for the first time in quite a while, and obviously the World belt is going to be the focal point, but this obviously comes at the expense of the X-Division and TV title, particularly with the Aces & Eights 'line looming over everything. Even WWE have had problems raising the same level of interest across the board for all of their titles, simply because there are only so many "hot" storylines you can have before people get burnt out or lose interest, and not all storylines can be championship-based. There's nothing really for it but to have a cycle of title attention, or "tycle", if you weeeeeel.I feel a little bad for Ion, because he's actually been a very worthy champ in my estimation, but he's coming off the heels of Aries, who's not only been a great X-champ in himself, but also had the X-Division made effectively into his stepping-stone for his title run, which made TNA TV hot for weeks. It was inevitable that everything for the division afterwards was going to seem like a comedown.

• Paid Members

Meltzer was saying Bruce Pritchard's format is for the women to have one angle and the X Division to not be much of a focal point of the TV. He sees it as dispensable attraction.I agree Ion is great, but all the X babyfaces aren't much cop. Even Football lad is bland.

• Paid Members

Meltzer was saying Bruce Pritchard's format is for the women to have one angle and the X Division to not be much of a focal point of the TV. He sees it as dispensable attraction.I agree Ion is great, but all the X babyfaces aren't much cop. Even Football lad is bland.

If that's really Pritchard's model, it seems a little short-sighted: you'd think he'd adopt the policy of only removing divisions from focus when talent's a bit sparse on the ground. It's working for now with Ion fending off bland comers, but it wouldn't have been too good while Aries was the top dog. Indeed, that it got so much focus during that period is one of the main reasons WHY Aries has done so well.That last bit I really agree with. Sorensen has always been mega-bland, even with the football. He's just got athleticism and a good look - no real charisma, doesn't really get the crowd into his matches. Here's hoping this injury and subsequent angle gains him a bit of credence, though.Kenny King's OK, but he's still stuck at the "potential stage", IMO - he needs a lot more time to build up some momentum and some story to go with his obvious physical charisma, and then he could be in for a notable run as X-champ.I sort of like Dutt, but he's really become a bit of a Petey Williams - apart from his finisher, he doesn't have much else going for him right now. I actually liked his Guru gimmick, he should've come back with that. He's not too bad on the mike.

• Paid Members

I think the X Division getting so much TV time with Aries as champion had everything to do with Aries being so bloody good. As Triple H said "A wrestler makes the belt, the belt doesn't make the wrestler". They clearly saw Aries as something worth investing time in.It also wouldn't surprise me if the higher-ups in TNA were put off the X Division a bit when they brought all those X wrestlers in for that tournament, and most of them were killing each other with stupid shite.

• Paid Members

I think the X Division getting so much TV time with Aries as champion had everything to do with Aries being so bloody good. As Triple H said "A wrestler makes the belt, the belt doesn't make the wrestler". They clearly saw Aries as something worth investing time in.It also wouldn't surprise me if the higher-ups in TNA were put off the X Division a bit when they brought all those X wrestlers in for that tournament, and most of them were killing each other with stupid shite.

Hate to say it, but I disagree with Triple H - I think it's a symbiotic thing. A wrestler may make the belt, but the belt is also a means to make people; a world championship is there to let people know a certain guy is bona fide main event. Same to a certain degree with the X-Division - sure, Aries is bloody good, and therefore it gave the division a lot of the spotlight, but it wouldn't have mattered how good he was if they ignored that and rigidly followed the policy Meltzer claims Pritchard has; there needs to be flexibility, and, as is the case with Aries, they did have it. I just hope they'll allow for the possibility that another Aries could appear, and not forget to be flexible.Yeah, I was a bit ambivalent about the tourney - on the one hand, it was great they were making such a big deal of it all, but on the other, the matches really summed up the whole indy shitstorm that TNA should have moved away from by now.

• Paid Members

I don't think Triple H's point goes against that. It can be symbiotic, if the bloke that wins the thing is over and the promotion wants to push them. The Miz is an example of somebody that had the big belt for a while (and headlined Wrestlemania, mind), but when it came down to it the fans weren't into him as a top heel and as such he got demoted back to the midcard; the belt (and a feud with Cena) didn't help him solidify his position on top of the card.I'm sure TNA will be flexible if they stumble across somebody that is really good, like with Aries. This goes back to the original point, the talent pool for the X Division isn't really worth investing in. It looked like they were going to go with Kenny King as the next bloke, but after not living up to the hype he's vanished from TV.

I think the problem, for any wrestling company, is that at best it's really quite difficult to focus on more than a couple of championships and storylines at a time. TNA has six - well, five really, but still. The tag and KO singles belts are getting a bit of attention for the first time in quite a while, and obviously the World belt is going to be the focal point, but this obviously comes at the expense of the X-Division and TV title, particularly with the Aces & Eights 'line looming over everything. Even WWE have had problems raising the same level of interest across the board for all of their titles, simply because there are only so many "hot" storylines you can have before people get burnt out or lose interest, and not all storylines can be championship-based. There's nothing really for it but to have a cycle of title attention, or "tycle", if you weeeeeel.I feel a little bad for Ion, because he's actually been a very worthy champ in my estimation, but he's coming off the heels of Aries, who's not only been a great X-champ in himself, but also had the X-Division made effectively into his stepping-stone for his title run, which made TNA TV hot for weeks. It was inevitable that everything for the division afterwards was going to seem like a comedown.

I agree with all that. The other problem with the X Div has been that they generally tend to pull tag teams out of the X Div ranks whenever they need some new ones, and with the graduation of Daniels/Kaz/Aries into permanent heavyweights, they're just really light on talent.Bringing Sonjay Dutt back has been great, and one thing the X Division has is plenty of history. So they should get back some of the previous talent. Having a division largely staffed by guys who've been on tv for less than 2 years is why it feels so unimportant.

The thing with the X Division that I've noticed over the years is that they pay the most attention to it whenever they have someone in it who they feel could be a main event star for them down the road (Styles, Joe, Aries). If they don't have such a guy in the division, who they feel is worth investing a lot of airtime into, they just don't really bother with it. Hence why I think RVD winning the belt this Sunday might actually be a good thing as they certainly value him more than they do any of the X Division guys and with him as the champion they might focus more on the X Division.

I'm not entirely sure. TNA have no problem ending PPV's on a downer (see Lockdown this year or BFG last year), I think It's going to be entirely down to 'how good' the Aces and Eights battle is going to turn out to be. I mean if there is going to be a big reveal or a big turn I can imagine it going on last but at the moment I can see Hardy Vs. Aries going on last. What do you recon the pre-show match will be? There's hardly anyone left!?

Archived