TNA Bound For Glory 2012 Offical Discussion Thread (THIS SUNDAY)

wrestlingmad

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could be a quality show if they put a bit more work into it, but right now there isn't a lot to look forward to. Unless Bully Ray is added (which probably won't happen), the main event looks rubbish. I love Aries but, as I said in the Impact thread, this is his most boring feud since he's arrived. I really don't understand the whole jealousy angle they're going with either, why would a hard nut like Aries be jealous of weirdo mouldy face Hardy? Especially as he's the World Champion who the crowd love. Even Taz brought up on Impact how strange it was, so maybe there's a bit more to it.

The Tag Team Title match should be pretty good, but I'm afraid they'll give away too much on TV beforehand. We've seen Angle/Styles vs. Daniels/Kazarian quite a few times recently, and now members of each team seem to be mixing it up on TV. Still, it should be a good match, and a regular crowd is going to eat it up.

I love Roode and Storm, but fucking hell, they've lost a LOT of momentum. Think back to this time last year, everybody was practically bowing down to these guys, more so Roode, but Storm was getting bummed as well. Even just a few months ago at Slammiversary they looked like megastars, Storm looked like the "next man" when he returned and mullered Crimson. So what the fuck went wrong? I think I'm one of the only people who think that this match actually needs the World Title, I don't really care otherwise. It doesn't help that they practically already had a Street Fight last week. It's a massive shame.

It looks like this Aces & Eights reveal will be at Big Friendly Giant as well. This match needs Hogan & Sting really, I'm not sure who else they could use that would actually be of any interest. It has to be Jarrett and someone else representing A&8's though, that much is almost a given.

It looks like Joe vs. Magnus will be announced for the TV Title as well which should be good. I'm not sure about any other matches to be honest though, I would've said a few months back that Zema Ion vs. Kenny King for the X-Division Title was a given, but now I'm not so sure. It'll probably be some rubbish multi-man match again.

Some fun BFG facts:

= This is year's BFG is the eight edition of the PPV.

= BFG is the only TNA PPV that has never taken place twice in the same arena.

= The only wrestlers to have wrestled on every single BFG PPV are AJ Styles and Samoa Joe. Bobby Roode and Bully Ray have been part of every BFG too but haven't wrestled on the PPV every time.

= Every BFG so far has had a match with a special enforcer or referee.

= The wrestler that has headlined BFG the most times is Sting (4), followed by Kurt Angle (3).

= The World Title has changed hands at every BFG, except for 2009 and 2011.

= The X Division Title, however, has changed hands at BFG only once (in 2006).

= Tessmacher vs. Tara is going to be the very first singles match for the Knockouts Title in the history of BFG.

= Neither Daniels, nor Kazarian have ever won a match at BFG.

= Samoa Joe hasn't won a match at BFG since 2007.

= Sting has lost at BFG only once (in 2009 to AJ Styles)

= And on a related note, since coming back to TNA last year Austin Aries has yet to lose a PPV match. Will BFG see the end of his PPV win streak?

Wonder what else we'll see, they do have a habit of trying to squeeze everyone on dont they?

I cant really think of much else beyond Magnus vs Joe. Zema Ion vs ? Eh god knows. We need Bully Ray to do something, and maybe the return of Matt Morgan might be interesting. Even though they're shite what about Anderson and RVD?

I see what they are trying to do with Hardy and Aries but Im not really all that bothered, still there is a few weeks to go so they can still hook me in. Im almost positive Aries is going to turn into a "I dont get no respect" - "why do you cheer for a mong like Hardy" type heel.

Why do you need a special enforcer in street fight though? Its gonna be bloody and brutal, cant wait.

Wonder what else we'll see, they do have a habit of trying to squeeze everyone on dont they?

The thing that's different about this year's BFG is that they have a 1-hour TV special on Spike TV right before the PPV. Other than HoF highlights and some promos/video packages they'll have a match or two on there as well. That's where you can stick most of the filler. Perhaps Joey Ryan vs. Al Snow (or a wrestler chosen by Al Snow), for example, will be put on that show instead of the PPV.

I'm not feeling the love for this PPV. The regular BFG troopers are absent from the main event - Angle, Joe, Styles, Jarrett, Sting. No Hogan by the looks of it, a face versus face main event, no Bully Ray (I admit I'm a bit behind on Impact).

Plus we'll get Christian Cage looking as if he'd like to be anywhere else. Fuck him.

TNA have had a string of good PPVs this year, but the build for this one has stalled a bit. Aries is great, but he doesn't quite fit for me into a BGF main event. I'd have preferred Roode v Angle or someone. Roode v Joe even. I dunno.

Austin has had the most boring title run in recent memory. Even Cody losing every week was at least something. Austin won the belt, then defended it, then got stuck in with the aces and eights.

Hindsight is 20/20, but the belt should have stayed on Roode. Roode going in as the champ against Hardy for the belt would have been way better. Even Roode vs a face Austin. Have Aeries win the belt on BFG, then have James Storm go mad and turn, wanting the strap.

I was starting to be the biggest Austin Aeries fan, but his title reign is awful so far.

I was starting to be the biggest Austin Aeries fan, but his title reign is awful so far.

To me having someone like Aries as champ is exactly what TNA need right now! Their shows were getting boring by relying too heavily on ex-WWE stars, i.e. Hardy, RVD, Anderson. Aries highlights what TNA was founded in, being a great athletic X Division wrestler, and therefore is an ideal World Champion.

Bobby Roode was a great World champ, but he'd defended against everyone their was to defend against, so it was about time for time to pass on the title to someone new. The fact that Roode is no longer the champion will also add a new dimension to the feud between him and James Storm.

Admitedly Bully Ray does need to be involved more in BFG, I think he'll end up either in a number 1 contenders match, or involved in the Aces and 8's match somehow.

What TNA really need right now is some decent X Division wrestlers. Zema Ion is a pretty bad champion compared to some of the former champions, and their are no decent challengers to the title.

In my opinion BFG looks set to be a good PPV overall, maybe not the best PPV this year however, and certainly no where near as good as previous BFG's, but certainly worth tuning in for.

I always enjoy Bound For Glory and will do with this one. Not as much as recent years has TNA has more effort into Impact being live and The Aces & Eights angle rather than the PPV (Maybe this is a sign of them finally reducing the number of PPVs? I'd like to think so). Luckily the PPV will be taking place outside of the IMPACT Zone and with an alright line up it would be difficult for TNA to ruin this.

Main Event is looking bland at the moment so add Bully to the match. Anderson/RVD Vs Aces & Eights (D'Lo Brown & Mike Knox). Sounds like a fucking 2006 pre Raw Dark Match. Urgh..

• Paid Members
Anderson/RVD Vs Aces & Eights (D'Lo Brown & Mike Knox). Sounds like a fucking 2006 pre Raw Dark Match. Urgh..

Sting is already confirmed for the match and Anderson, D'Lo and Mike Knox haven't even been hinted at. Why would you think that was the match, when Abyss is the obvious partner for Sting.

Anyway, what I think is wrong with the pay-per-view is that they've pulled the plug on all their long term builds and unlike last year and the year before, they seem to be rushing around putting things into place.

Here's what I'm not loving:

-Hardy and Aries is the main event, which is completely out of nowhere. I get they are setting up Aries heel turn, but surely he didn't need the belt at the time. He could have lost it and that could have drove him to the turn. Hardy and Aries will be a awesome match for sure. But its not something anyone is desperate to see. Aries is a great wrestler, but Roode is a far better choice for champion going into the biggest show of the year. Aries and Hardy's promos so far have been pretty apathetic. I wouldnt be stunned if this Aces and Eights thing goes on last ahead of it. Bully seems involved but I dont know if that has much to do with anything. I'm reading "they'll find something for Bully Ray to do", but this time last year James Storm was so over they changed plans and put the World title on him the night after Bound For Glory, and he wasn't even on the PPV. So it might not even be a lock that Bully will get a match. Maybe he'll be one of Bischoffs men.

-Roode vs Storm is on its arse because they completely cocked the build up to it and they took the belt (which was the only reason Beer Money broke up) out of it. Now the main focus is King Mo who nobody gives a fuck about. I mean it was knackered when Storm lost in his hometown at Lockdown, but they could have rebuilt towards Bound For Glory. Storm was so over in March. The Wembley Arena treated him like a star in February. Now he's completely lost steam. Roode and Storm have been derailed recently. Its a real shame.

-The original plan was to have Hogan vs Flair at Bound For Glory, because Flair is one of the few people Hogan trusts not to hurt him and someone who has an equal amount of crowd pleasing stalling to do 10 minutes without doing very much. So when Flair fucked off, they were in a hole and came up with this thing. What does my head in is that the Aces and Eights storyline for months has been all about Hogan and Sting, so the logical thing should have been Sting and Hogan going into battle against them. I get Hogan is near death, but he's done the mild brawling on Impact against this lot, so a multi-man match where Hogan does 4 minutes of smoke and mirrors should have been allowed. My fear is they are holding off Hogan vs the Aces and Eights until Lockdown since the Aces and Eights look to be here to stay. The "our two best" seems like a strong hint that they have two decent size names for the tag match, which is at least a hook to look forward to. Wes Brisco and Jay Bradley aren't someone who I fancy watching in a featured match.

-As Loki said as well, Kurt Angle and AJ Styles aren't in singles matches. That cuts the match quality around the card because they can carry people to top class matches. They shouldn't be squashed into a multi-man bout no matter how good it will be. Something just doesn't feel right, not having Kurt and AJ as a focus of Bound For Glory.

-Joe and Magnus should be decent, but again its been a month since Magnus turned and a week since Joe won the title. Just seems all rushed.

-Joey Ryan vs Al Snow is exactly how it sounds and shouldn't be anywhere near this show, if thats where they are going with it.

TNA PPVs are usually really good, but there is just no excitement about it this year. Roode vs Storm and Hogan vs Flair sounded like a great little idea a few months back. It at least had a lot of history behind it, but plans change as they say. But they have two weeks left, so lets see.

Archived