Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I'm watching a bunch of stuff on the network from between 1999 and around 2003/4 and jesus, The Rock was happy to show arse wasn't he? Has there ever been a top star so willing to do business?

Surely there has never been a babyface on the level of The Rock that lost as much as he did. In 99 alone he lost to the likes of Billy Gunn, Big Bossman and fucking Al Snow.  It never seemed to affect him either, he stayed just as over even though he didn't win all the time.

There's no chance Austin was doing any of that, his return in 2000 was ironically the beginning of the end. He was handing out 5 or 6 stunners a show every week for months.

Edited by digforvictory

There's a nice little database of wrestlers' win ratios here http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers-with-highest-wwwf-wwf-wwe-win-percentages.html.

Rock had about a 58% win rate. Triple H (obviously played villain much more) is 52%. John Cena is nearly 79%. Austin was 60% (surprisingly low). The Hulkster was 77%.

I won't spoil the top 3 but Ultimate Warrior was 4th with over an 89% win rate.

Edited by Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

Undertaker must be top of that list, for sure.

EDIT: Actually, just realised, it's probably Piper, isn't it?

Edited by Carbomb

I'm watching a bunch of stuff on the network from between 1999 and around 2003/4 and jesus, The Rock was happy to show arse wasn't he? Has there ever been a top star so willing to do business?

Surely there has never been a babyface on the level of The Rock that lost as much as he did. In 99 alone he lost to the likes of Billy Gunn, Big Bossman and fucking Al Snow. It never seemed to affect him either, he stayed just as over even though he didn't win all the time.

There's no chance Austin was doing any of that, his return in 2000 was ironically the beginning of the end. He was handing out 5 or 6 stunners a show every week for months.

The Rock always seemed to get his win back in rapid order though if he lost to a midcarder.

• Paid Members

So in the case of the Rock, he lost almost as much as he won, much like the majority of today's midcard, that we continually moan about (which we should do and I'm one of the moaners). Rock had some quality storylines but not all the fucking time he didn't. In fairness, the zigglers tend to have stories too, like the tripe with Rusev.

So what's the craic then, is it simply a case of the rocks persona, character, Mic skills etc, made it fine for him to lose almost 1/2 of his matches? Linked to this he got a friggin shed load of promo time compared to, well pretty much anyone.

Is it more to do with the era? Did his loses come when he was mid card or main eventing (or equal).

I'm just trying to work out if I'm actually that bothered about wrestlers trading wins and loses so frequently on the mid card, or if it's simply because they are shit.... Or don't get the promo time.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

Surely there has never been a babyface on the level of The Rock that lost as much as he did. In 99 alone he lost to the likes of Billy Gunn, Big Bossman and fucking Al Snow. It never seemed to affect him either, he stayed just as over even though he didn't win all the time.

The Rock always seemed to get his win back in rapid order though if he lost to a midcarder.

Just by losing to them though , that's more than any other major babyface around then would do. Austin and Undertaker wouldn't be getting beat by Al Snow, even if they were guaranteed to get their win back.

And I'm not really having a go at Austin and Undertaker, I can see why they didn't lose much. I just think it's interesting how over The Rock got considering the WWE often took a lot of risky moves with his booking.  From having him get organically get over as a babyface in late 1998 and then turning him heel almost immediately to sticking him in consecutive feuds with Billy Gunn and an on the bones of his arse British Bulldog in 1999.

Edited by digforvictory

Wouldn't it be who, when and why the Rock lost a match, first was he losing on house shows? or is this just about TV?

Secondly often the Rock lost with a screw job finish or a reason, it was rare for him to lost clean from what I can remember that goes for a lot of the top guys. 

It's not like Ziggler and Co who just lose clean end of one week and then win the next, that's the difference 

• Awards Moderator

tumblr_o4jwptECCy1t5k1tio1_540.jpg

Good god.

Who is he?
Anyone care to reveal who this is?

I'm sure Chokeout or Surf could tell for sure, but is the slogan photoshopped on? There's an awful lot of dithering around the text.

He looks a state besides that mind.