Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Battle Royal's are only ever good when you are playing with wrestling figures.

Rumbles were better...

"10, 9, 8, 7",

all the figures in a big box,

"6, 5, 4"...

Close your eyes,

"3, 2, 1"...

pick one...

"Buzzzer noise"...

"Who, is it?.. it's, it's, Virg"...

(Swap figure)...

"It's CRUSH, it's CRUSH".

15696%20-%20Paparazzi_Productions%20logo

Brain reminded me out of nowhere today about the whole Paparazzi Productions thing in TNA and how funny they were. In retrospect it's the best homegrown quotable stuff TNA has ever done. Right down to Kevin Nash's weird insistence that Sonjay Dutt was on the gas.

"Does the Garden even hold 29,000 people?"

"It did that night."

Must have been one of the opening salvos to Kevin Nash's reinvention as somewhat of an internet darling for being a cool dude, right? He seemed like he was having fun in all those skits, too. 

• Paid Members

Jay Lethal: Have you ever been to Fire Island?

Nash: I happen to have a condo there, now that you mention it. *puts pipe in mouth*

It doesn't read like much but Nashs delivery is just amazing. I laughed for ages at this.

• Paid Members

Something occurred to me the other day about the spotfest/indy style of wrestling, with all its big moves and general lack of story structure (or, at least, any logical or conventional story structure). 

If you look at the specific time period during which this style became popular, mostly via ECW, i.e. the 90s/early 2000s, it could be said to coincide with the rise in popularity of fighting games, particularly the more spectacular 3D ones like Tekken. It strikes me that the spotfest style maybe became popular because it gratifies those who took joy in doing Zangief's spinning piledriver out of the blue, or King's musclebuster, etc. It's basically a videogame style of wrestling - gamers don't really care about storytelling, just beating the opponent in the most spectacular, physics- and biology-defying, and therefore satisfying, way possible. I'm particularly of this opinion when I remember the likes of Mathi69/Xtreme69 doing his top-rope moonsault fallaway slam, or Jason Cross' Shooting Star Leg Drop, the SAT's Spanish Fly or Burchill's C4.

• Awards Moderator

Something occurred to me the other day about the spotfest/indy style of wrestling, with all its big moves and general lack of story structure (or, at least, any logical or conventional story structure).

If you look at the specific time period during which this style became popular, mostly via ECW, i.e. the 90s/early 2000s, it could be said to coincide with the rise in popularity of fighting games, particularly the more spectacular 3D ones like Tekken. It strikes me that the spotfest style maybe became popular because it gratifies those who took joy in doing Zangief's spinning piledriver out of the blue, or King's musclebuster, etc. It's basically a videogame style of wrestling - gamers don't really care about storytelling, just beating the opponent in the most spectacular, physics- and biology-defying, and therefore satisfying, way possible. I'm particularly of this opinion when I remember the likes of Mathi69/Xtreme69 doing his top-rope moonsault fallaway slam, or Jason Cross' Shooting Star Leg Drop, the SAT's Spanish Fly or Burchill's C4.

Quiet Storm was one of the worst for this. Fuck me, he was terrible.