Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Is there a good place to watch old ROH, pre-2007 other than DVDs? I know they were always strict about taking unauthorised content down online.

No they're absolutely shit about it. They have a paltry selection of those shows on demand. I owned most of the DVD's anyway but I torrented all the shows from XWT because it was the only easy way to get it all on my PC.

• Paid Members

Supercard Of Honor has some great stuff on it. The Dragon Gate six-man is great fun. Skip the main event though, it draaaaaaaaags.

If you enjoyed the ROH/CZW feud, watch DBD IV for the Cage Of Death blow off.

Didn't Meltzer give that six man tag match five stars?

Everyone jizzed over that Dragon Gate tag at the time. I thought it was a huge pile of wank. I'd be surprised if the people who loved it at the time still got the same enjoyment out of it.

Yeah, I was really into ROH and cruiserweight wrestling at the time and I thought it was an overrated spot fest. Likewise, can't see it standing up 10 years on.

I'm interested to see how the McGuinness, Joe, Punk, Danielson matches stand up as they were built more around telling a story, though they weren't without their excessive spots.

If you get in touch with Rudo Reels, they were doing ROH Complete Year sets on BluRay. Certain they had 2002-2005 and 2006 was split into two different sets (due to an increased number of shows that year)

How much were they going for dude? Wouldn't mind picking some of those up if they are still going. Almost ordered from Rudo Reels a couple of times but being from America the price per Blu Ray with shipping has always put me off slightly. That being said they are fairly reasonable compared to other places. Still, I'm a tightwad.

• Paid Members

Everyone jizzed over that Dragon Gate tag at the time. I thought it was a huge pile of wank. I'd be surprised if the people who loved it at the time still got the same enjoyment out of it.

Yeah, I was really into ROH and cruiserweight wrestling at the time and I thought it was an overrated spot fest. Likewise, can't see it standing up 10 years on.

It was just a Dragon Gate match. A high end one of course, but I was in the building for it and people were losing their minds but it was more because it was so unique. I was shocked it got a full 5 stars, but it did create a big atmosphere. I honestly preferred the Generation Next tag on that show.

Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

along the same lines, does anyone look back at the old IWA Mid-South stuff featuring Punk/Hero etc. and see that stuff holding up? The argument back in the day was always although the IWA featured and was more known for death match wrestling, they also put on some of the best independent wrestling in the States. I'm talking about around 2000/2001 when they introduced the Ted Petty Invitational and all that stuff. The actual setting and production of the shows was horrific though, i could probably see alot of newer fans being turned off right away simply by the look of it all.

I followed promotion around that time but fell out of touch not long after, and i've only really seen bits and pieces of any independent wrestling since then.

If you get in touch with Rudo Reels, they were doing ROH Complete Year sets on BluRay. Certain they had 2002-2005 and 2006 was split into two different sets (due to an increased number of shows that year)

How much were they going for dude? Wouldn't mind picking some of those up if they are still going. Almost ordered from Rudo Reels a couple of times but being from America the price per Blu Ray with shipping has always put me off slightly. That being said they are fairly reasonable compared to other places. Still, I'm a tightwad.

I honestly can't remember, sorry pal. I want to say they were about $25 per set, but don't quote me on that. They don't list them on the normal page, you have to contact either by email or over twitter

along the same lines, does anyone look back at the old IWA Mid-South stuff featuring Punk/Hero etc. and see that stuff holding up? The argument back in the day was always although the IWA featured and was more known for death match wrestling, they also put on some of the best independent wrestling in the States. I'm talking about around 2000/2001 when they introduced the Ted Petty Invitational and all that stuff. The actual setting and production of the shows was horrific though, i could probably see alot of newer fans being turned off right away simply by the look of it all.

I followed promotion around that time but fell out of touch not long after, and i've only really seen bits and pieces of any independent wrestling since then.

I felt that was part of its whole vibe. All the AmDragon, Low Ki stuff on early ROH's as well. Matches that would shine on huge PPV's but being held infront of 50 people in some shitty HS gym.

Real Indy sleeze.

There was a lad here at the time called M2K who put together some awesome comp tapes from the likes of IWA MS and obscure Joshi feds. His write ups were amazing too. Sad loss when he disappeared.