Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I’d like WWE to use more ‘80s music. Gotta love Peter Gabriel’s “Big Time” used for one of the mid–2000s WrestleManias.

Yeah, that was a completely out of left field choice. Vince has got to be a fan.

• Paid Members

Just watched some of Summerslam 93 on the network and noticed what a chunky monkey Shawn Michaels was back in 93. I recall in interviews he's said he put on a lot of weight around that time due to trying to go toe to toe with Nash at the buffet table. Do we think this is the most rotund (and with that mullet to boot least 'sexy boy' HBK) we ever saw or is there evidence of his waistline expanding even further in this time period?

I'm sure a cage match is floating around with him facing Marty Jannetty and he is huge. Might have been on the first "Cage Match" DVD released over here. I remember Monsoon and Johnny Polo were on commentary. Monsoon gets in a few digs.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

He was suspended in September and returned to the WWF to replace Lawler at the Survivor Series when he got arrested.

I think he might have actually quit the company around that time because of it. Which is funny, because he was actually up for grabs around that period and you never think of Michaels being openly available at any point in his WWF career. Surprised WCW didnt really throw the money at him.

Did WCW have any money? This isn't all that long after the psychotic round of cost-cutting, is it? I'm still convinced Bill Watts took away the mats at ringside not because "real men don't need mats" but because they decided it was an unnecessary expense.

How out of place would Shawn have looked in WCW in 1993? Shawn Michaels being good at the time, WCW being shit.

He was suspended in September and returned to the WWF to replace Lawler at the Survivor Series when he got arrested.

I think he might have actually quit the company around that time because of it. Which is funny, because he was actually up for grabs around that period and you never think of Michaels being openly available at any point in his WWF career. Surprised WCW didnt really throw the money at him.

Did WCW have any money? This isn't all that long after the psychotic round of cost-cutting, is it? I'm still convinced Bill Watts took away the mats at ringside not because "real men don't need mats" but because they decided it was an unnecessary expense.

How out of place would Shawn have looked in WCW in 1993? Shawn Michaels being good at the time, WCW being shit.

I can picture the dream match ripping off Wrestlemania 9

Shawn Michaels vs Charlie Norris. Hell they could of ripped his WWF run completely and given him Big Sky as his bodyguard.

• Paid Members

I don't know. It was shit but they still had a pretty strong roster back then. Steamboat was still around and having really good matches. I'd love to have seen Shawn become allies with the Hollywood Blonds myself. Could've stuck them in some cracking six mans with Flair, Arn and Roma or Steamboat, Douglas and Sting or whoever. I think that combination of Michaels, Austin and Pillman would've fit like a glove and I think their cocky personas would've gelled perfectly. Seeing them wreak havoc with Jesse Ventura cheerleading them on commentary would've been fun. They'd have been a killer stable. Which is why it'd have never happened. As soon as they got over, no doubt they'd have been split and Shawn would probably have ended up looking at the lights for fucking Ice Train or someone equally shite.

He would've looked out of place though anyway because he'd been heavily featured in the WWF in 1992. I can't even picture him in those dimly lit arenas of 1993 WCW.

Edited by wandshogun09

Shawn and the Blondes would have been a sensational trio, before the inevitable implosion and feuds of course. How good would Shawn vs Pillman have been in that time period?!

Edited by AshC

Just watched some of Summerslam 93 on the network and noticed what a chunky monkey Shawn Michaels was back in 93. I recall in interviews he's said he put on a lot of weight around that time due to trying to go toe to toe with Nash at the buffet table. Do we think this is the most rotund (and with that mullet to boot least 'sexy boy' HBK) we ever saw or is there evidence of his waistline expanding even further in this time period?

I'm sure a cage match is floating around with him facing Marty Jannetty and he is huge. Might have been on the first "Cage Match" DVD released over here. I remember Monsoon and Johnny Polo were on commentary. Monsoon gets in a few digs.

Yes it is on that DVD. It was quite amusing to hear Monsoon having a dig.

• Paid Members

I seem to recall it was a match that was originally on a Collesieum Video comp rather than being on RAW or anything. It's a fair match from what I recall, not seen it in a long time

I think that one was on Bloopers Bleeps & Bodyslams, which was never released over here but I got a rubbish copy from a trader. It also has Bret vs Crush (Bret loses, WTF) and Yokozuna vs Tatanka among other eminently skippable matches.

I don't know. It was shit but they still had a pretty strong roster back then.

Yeahhhh... but that's the thing, whether it's WCW in 1993, the WWF in 1995, WCW in 2000, WWE in... well, large periods of time between 2001 and today, every time either of the Big 2 were knocking out shite, they almost always had the talent at their disposal to produce something decent. That's why those periods end up looked upon with such disdain. It's having the resources but not using them right that makes the output shit, it's hardly ever not having a strong roster.

I'd love to have seen Shawn become allies with the Hollywood Blonds myself. Could've stuck them in some cracking six mans with Flair, Arn and Roma or Steamboat, Douglas and Sting or whoever. I think that combination of Michaels, Austin and Pillman would've fit like a glove and I think their cocky personas would've gelled perfectly. Seeing them wreak havoc with Jesse Ventura cheerleading them on commentary would've been fun. They'd have been a killer stable. Which is why it'd have never happened. As soon as they got over, no doubt they'd have been split and Shawn would probably have ended up looking at the lights for fucking Ice Train or someone equally shite.

Shawn and the Blondes would have been a sensational trio, before the inevitable implosion and feuds of course. How good would Shawn vs Pillman have been in that time period?!

Far too much credit being given to WCW during the time period which was a horrible mess of misused guys and missed opportunities. They wouldn't have had a fucking clue what to do with a "can't miss" prospect like the Shawn Michaels of 1993, in 1993. It would be the same "We have him... errr..... what do we do now" scenario they had with Hitman in 1998.

Shawn Michaels vs Charlie Norris. Hell they could of ripped his WWF run completely and given him Big Sky as his bodyguard.

Shawn would probably have ended up looking at the lights for fucking Ice Train or someone equally shite.

Much, MUCH more like it. Lethal Lottery with Shawn Michaels & Kent Cole VS The Equalizer & Thunder from Thunder & Lightning, that's the stuff. Shawn Michaels & Frank Anderson vs Tex Slazenger & Shanghai Pierce goes on last on Worldwide, before Gladiators and Blind Date, but - OH NO! - they run out of time before the finish, and they'll show us the end of the match next week.

But they never did, daddy..... THEY NEVER DID....

Edited by air_raid

Just watching WCW Souled Out 98 (purely to see Hart / Flair after nearly 20 years) and noticed some classic WCW nincompoopery at the culmination of the prior match.

Kevin Nash throws "Hot" coffee in the Giants eyes and then powerbombs him in the classic botched spot that looks as though it should have killed the giant.

The entire arena goes in to a hush, Giant doesn't move. Everyone is legitimately concerned, you can see on Nash's face he's worried. The EMT's rush to the ring and as the Giant lays motionless after being dropped on his head and potentially paralyzed they..............wrap kayfabe bandages around Giants eyes like he's Jake Roberts having been hit with the atomiser. 

The announcers try to cover for it and sell the injury instead:-

"It looks like they're trying to stabalize his neck" 

"Nope!" Says Bobby who can already see the opportunity for real life drama has vanished.

"He got hot coffee in his eyes!"

Gotta love WCW

I realised how "over" New Day are at the last WWE show I went to.  Normally before WWE shows start fans chant Woooooo, What? (less in recent years), or Cena Sucks/Let's Go Cena, and pretty much nothing else  (CM Punk/Where's Our Network? maybe the exceptions).  But last time New. Day. Sucks.  had joined the list, and was probably number two after Cena.  Considering it was an accident, it's impressive how they've managed to have such a catchy negative crowd reaction stick.