Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

One of my favorite mini feuds ever: Stone Cold vs Spike Dudley. I think it last maybe 3 at most shows but it was awesome. Just watched a couple of clips on YouTube and it's brilliant stuff. Austin at his diabolical heel best. "She's a bimbo, ain't ya' heard?" and "I'm not giving you a title shot you little bastard!" are two of my favorite wrestling quotes. Austin's character and comedic timing are on a different level than anyone else in wrestling ever. What a guy.

• Paid Members

I might well be talking shite here but I think that Austin vs Spike stuff only actually lasted for one show. It was a show-long thing on an episode of Smackdown where Austin was going around backstage trying to get people to sign his petition because having him defend the title against both Benoit and Jericho at King Of The Ring was unfair, or something.

It's when he got to Spike and Molly Holly it got good.

Austin: You sign it and then get ya little bimbo girlfriend to sign it...

Spike: What did you just say?

Austin: Molly...she's a bimbo, ain't ya heard?

Classic. That lead to Spike ripping up Austin's petition which lead to Austin running into Commissioner Regal's office, almost in tears holding the remains of his petition, and demanding a match with Spike. The match itself was pretty good as well, as I recall.

Don't really remember them interacting again after that though.

• Paid Members

The best the Big Show has ever looked for me was in 2006, when he was dangerously close to a heart attack. His face was so large, he could barely let out his goofy grin. He was a frightening thing to look at. By far the fattest he's ever been. He was heading towards Andre levels of mobility, but Christ he didnt half look like a giant.
Big+Show+-+ECW+Champion.jpg

• Paid Members

I remember that run. It was when he tried yet again to change up his finisher, this time to that cobra clutch backbreaker. Never understood why he was always trying to move away from the Showstopper, it's an awesome finisher for him. But that ECW run saw him putting in some of his most fearsome performances.

• Paid Members

Oh. Shows how much I know about either of them then!

"You ask Kurt Angle about 125 pound Dan Gable."

Advice from The Iron Shiek in his Hall Of Fame speech. Lunatic.

Edited by Jaffa

• Paid Members

It was a show-long thing on an episode of Smackdown where Austin was going around backstage trying to get people to sign his petition because having him defend the title against both Benoit and Jericho at King Of The Ring was unfair, or something.

Astonishing. Absolutely brilliant. "The Rattlesnake" reacting to something against his favour by starting a petition was so diametrically opposed to the character that the fanbase had originally fallen in love with, it's theoretically brilliant booking of Austin as a heel. In practice, he was never going to work as a heel because the entertainment value was through the roof.

Showstopper

Please tell me that's not what you're calling Big Show's chokeslam just because it was called that in a CAW menu on one of the games about 15 years ago.

Please tell me that's not what you're calling Big Show's chokeslam just because it was called that in a CAW menu on one of the games about 15 years ago.

I'd imagine it's more because in 2001 they used to refer to it that way on commentary. I distinctly remember because it wasn't called that on another game (possibly one before it) and it confused me.

Edited by Daaaaaad!

• Paid Members

I think Judy Grable was even pre-Moolah. If memory is correct she was a fuckign shooter as well, and had some shoot situation after he husband who was also her promoter, dicked about with another lady wrestler. I might be completely wrong but I'm sure a story like that involved Grable. She's apparently held in some high regard for being a pre-Moolah pioneer for women's wrestling. Moolah was also a complete cunt who's reputation is really sullen when you look into her.

You're thinking of Mildred Burke. Judy Grable was trained by Moolah.

I think Moolah was just a wrestler, ultimately, She looked out for herself, first and foremost. Considering wrestling's attitude to women when she broke in, I'm not entirely sure I can blame her. Billy Wolfe, Burke's Husband, who was running things at that point, makes Moolah look like an absurdly generous money-mark by comparison.

• Paid Members

What were WWF playing at with Shot Gun Saturday Night? The shittest Indy in Britain had better lighting than these shows. They looked horrible. Like a down market ECW. It looked so minor league. Its like watching those Incredibly Strange Wrestling shows. Surely they didnt think filming shows from a nightclub with Todd Pettingill in a denim jacket was going to make the company "cool."

What were WWF playing at with Shot Gun Saturday Night? The shittest Indy in Britain had better lighting than these shows. They looked horrible. Like a down market ECW. It looked so minor league. Its like watching those Incredibly Strange Wrestling shows. Surely they didnt think filming shows from a nightclub with Todd Pettingill in a denim jacket was going to make the company "cool."

Especially as the ECW Raw takeover started about the same time.

• Paid Members

Really need to stick those shows on the Network. Early "Shotgun" has always facinated me because we didn't get it over here. Did we even get highlights?

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

I might well be talking shite here but I think that Austin vs Spike stuff only actually lasted for one show. It was a show-long thing on an episode of Smackdown where Austin was going around backstage trying to get people to sign his petition because having him defend the title against both Benoit and Jericho at King Of The Ring was unfair, or something.

It's when he got to Spike and Molly Holly it got good.

Austin: You sign it and then get ya little bimbo girlfriend to sign it...

Spike: What did you just say?

Austin: Molly...she's a bimbo, ain't ya heard?

Classic. That lead to Spike ripping up Austin's petition which lead to Austin running into Commissioner Regal's office, almost in tears holding the remains of his petition, and demanding a match with Spike. The match itself was pretty good as well, as I recall.

Don't really remember them interacting again after that though.

It was definitely at least two shows. Austin tried to belt Molly with a chair on Smackdown leading to Spike calling Austin out on the next Raw. Austin apologised to Spike, shook his hand then Stunnered Molly.

Really need to stick those shows on the Network. Early "Shotgun" has always facinated me because we didn't get it over here. Did we even get highlights?

Yeah, some. Can't remember if the Saturday shows had highlights or if it was just recaps on Raw, but there was definitely footage shown. I remember being gutted that we didn't get it after they were pimping up Marlena getting her tits out on there.

• Paid Members

Anything major happened on these shows? I only recall Savio Vega turning heel by whipping the shit out of Rocky Maivia ( who was still "Blue Chipper" Rocky). He really laid it in.

ADDED: I've never watched the Savio heel turn on Youtube. So I imagine some sort of highlights were shown over here.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Savio Vega joined the Nation on a house show, and highlights of that were shown on Shotgun that night.

There's a Thrasher vs Phineas Godwinn dark match from one of those shows on youtube that has Sunny and Vince trying to get their headsets to work throughout the match. Quite fun to hear.