Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Just signed up to icw on demand, I have to say its absolutely fantastic.

For just 5 quid theres loads of good quality shows, shoot interviews, documentary's and they upload there latest shows very very efficient and good value for money

Just signed up to icw on demand, I have to say its absolutely fantastic.

For just 5 quid theres loads of good quality shows, shoot interviews, documentary's and they upload there latest shows very very efficient and good value for money

What's the entrance music situation like these days? The silence when people came to the ring really put me off and I cancelled my subscription. This was about December time so wondering if they've changed anything.

When I interviewed people for a newspaper they would often end up as my suggested facebook friends without me ever typing their name outside a word document. Spooky.

I've recently started having girls I pulled show up in suggested without having any mutual friends. I've figured that if the contacts on your phone is linked to Facebook, it will suggest people who's number you have saved.

I've also noticed that if you accept lots of friend requests at once then Facebook assumes your really cool and adds you to more people's suggested friends, meaning you'll get more random adds than usual.

Can you Chromecast it? I'm thinking of subscribing too. Is there an app?

It's run through Pivotshare. They have an iphone app which you can watch it through or you can just watch through your normal browser. The recent OnDemand service from Progress is run by them too.

I've not got a chrome cast so not sure what apps etc. you need

Yeah, The Authority can do the promo work while Cesaro stands in the background, of course, but we saw with Heyman that such a thing may not help him at all.

That's because Paul Heyman did absolutely fuck all to get heat on Cesaro or get him over. He spent his full time as Cesaro's manager talking about Brock Lesnar beating The Undertaker.

• Paid Members

Was Gangrel given the best entrance and alround package for a bloke who never made it as a star? That entrance and music was one of the best ever, yet Gangrel is as midcard as you can get during that era. Gangrel has the kind of entrance usually reserved for a top, top guy.

• Paid Members

Didn't they also have to pay royalties or image rights to someone else for the Gangrel name, too? It wasn't their own creation. I wonder if they originally had bigger plans for him when he came back in '98? They certainly went to town on his presentation, even the blood bath gimmicks must have been expensive to set up.

Even to this day I think it's surprising that WWE, with the sort of fanbase that they attract, haven't tried harder to get in on the vampire fad since (I'm ignoring Kevin Thorn).

The vampire fad was all tween girl based, though, and wrestling fans for the most part are the sort that get outraged about tween girl fads. A wrestler based on Twilight would've been a bigger flop than Kevin Thorn. And it's hard to translate the vampire thing into wrestling, especially mainstream wrestling. The Brood were never called vampires, were they? It was always "alternative lifestyle" and "mysterious red liquid" (which was a weird thing to stick to once they started doing the "bloodbaths"). You'd have to have a sexy, cheekbony wrestler and just say he's a vampire. And he couldn't fly or turn into a bat, or bite other wrestlers' necks. He'd just do wrestling moves and wear goth clothes, and I don't know if that'd be enough to grab vampire fans.

My Gangrel highlight was when the cast of Highlander 4 came to visit Edge on Smackdown to promote the film, but deffed him off to hang out with Gangrel, who they thought was the most fascinating man ever. He'd been completely irrelevant for a year at this point. I remember him calling Edge and Christian and the Hardys a bunch of poofs after their ladder match at No Mercy '99, and the Highlander film came out in September 2000. I don't remember anything Gangrel did in between, except beat Chris Jericho on Heat, and I only know he did that because Jericho talks about it as an example of how little faith Vince had in him at one point.

When Warrior was still alive and everyone hated him, the knock on him was he was a look and an entrance and nothing else. And that's not really true of Warrior, but it was true of Gangrel. He couldn't talk, he wasn't much cop as a wrestler, but the work WWE put into his overall package has meant that no fan from that era will ever forget him.

• Paid Members

Can't say I agree with that last bit - Gangrel seemed pretty solid as a wrestler, if unspectacular. But yeah - his biggest problem was that he just couldn't talk. In fact, I can't even remember him ever talking at all.

Kevin Thorn certainly was a flop, but it did seem at the time like they were getting ready to put a lot behind him at the start, maybe to make up for him fucking up as Mordecai - that filthy-looking vamp valet, the push, the gimmicks, etc.

• Paid Members

The vampire fad was all tween girl based, though, and wrestling fans for the most part are the sort that get outraged about tween girl fads. A wrestler based on Twilight would've been a bigger flop than Kevin Thorn. And it's hard to translate the vampire thing into wrestling, especially mainstream wrestling. The Brood were never called vampires, were they? It was always "alternative lifestyle" and "mysterious red liquid" (which was a weird thing to stick to once they started doing the "bloodbaths"). You'd have to have a sexy, cheekbony wrestler and just say he's a vampire. And he couldn't fly or turn into a bat, or bite other wrestlers' necks. He'd just do wrestling moves and wear goth clothes, and I don't know if that'd be enough to grab vampire fans.

My Gangrel highlight was when the cast of Highlander 4 came to visit Edge on Smackdown to promote the film, but deffed him off to hang out with Gangrel, who they thought was the most fascinating man ever. He'd been completely irrelevant for a year at this point. I remember him calling Edge and Christian and the Hardys a bunch of poofs after their ladder match at No Mercy '99, and the Highlander film came out in September 2000. I don't remember anything Gangrel did in between, except beat Chris Jericho on Heat, and I only know he did that because Jericho talks about it as an example of how little faith Vince had in him at one point.

When Warrior was still alive and everyone hated him, the knock on him was he was a look and an entrance and nothing else. And that's not really true of Warrior, but it was true of Gangrel. He couldn't talk, he wasn't much cop as a wrestler, but the work WWE put into his overall package has meant that no fan from that era will ever forget him.

Love this post. All of it spot on.

Its weird, everything about Gangrel that wasn't him actually being on TV was great. I remember WWF Magazine doing an article on him that made him seem like the most interesting wrestler on the roster. He was super cool on WWF Attitude. His entrance was class. Even his figures that nobody bought were funny to look at. Yet I cant imagine anyone I had less interest in actually watching wrestle.

Gangrel is the Attitude eras Honky Tonk Man. He'll always find work because he's a pure gimmick. Its fun to see him live if you are a casual.