Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

One guy I liked was Desmond Wolfe. He had some decent matches with Angle, and he had a unique, entertaining and believable style that managed to adapt the British style for modern audiences. Hated him as Nigel McGuinness, though.

• Paid Members

Listening to the Meltzer/Austin podcast now and even half an hour in, they're still talking about MMA. I was just wondering how much general crossover there is between both of them. As someone who has no interest whatsoever in UFC of any type of non-choreographed combat (excluding Boxing), do the majority of Wrestling fans watch it?

• Paid Members

It's one of those things I've just come to live with. I'll sit listening for 20 minutes of Meltzer and Alvarez on a tangent talking about the latest UFC show and not realise.

The worst for me though is when they or Live Audio Wrestling will combine wrestling and mma when discussing their matches/feuds/tv show of the year. They're really not the same thing.

I don't like The Usos' entrance. Similar to Wade Barrett's, it's got too many parts.

Listening to the Meltzer/Austin podcast now and even half an hour in, they're still talking about MMA. I was just wondering how much general crossover there is between both of them. As someone who has no interest whatsoever in UFC of any type of non-choreographed combat (excluding Boxing), do the majority of Wrestling fans watch it?

The crossover must be big enough for Meltzer to bang on about MMA all the time in his wrestling newsletter. I suspect that a lot of his MMA coverage is down to him being a fan of it himself, but it's been going on long enough now that if the readership couldn't be arsed with it, he'd have sacked it off. It is boring to listen to, though. I'm much the same as Benno, I'll just tune out while Meltzer and Alvarez bore on with MMA chat for ages. I would think that most fans have either stuck with fake gay wrestling, or moved on to real gay mount and pound, but there must be a load that are following both.

Edited by King Pitcos

I don't like The Usos' entrance. Similar to Wade Barrett's, it's got too many parts.

I think the same thing each time they come out. There's the Samoan bit, the call and response bit, and then their song comes on. It's not just that there's too many parts, but that none of the parts really go with eachother as they currently are.

If they came out to a Samoan-themed hip hop song which incorporated 'When I say Us...' into the chorus they'd get the same points across and we could all go home about 45 minutes earlier.

I think the same thing each time they come out. There's the Samoan bit, the call and response bit, and then their song comes on. It's not just that there's too many parts, but that none of the parts really go with eachother as they currently are.

If they came out to a Samoan-themed hip hop song which incorporated 'When I say Us...' into the chorus they'd get the same points across and we could all go home about 45 minutes earlier.

I think they could just put the "we say uce" part before the war dance (possibly before they come out, like Road Dogg's "oh you didn't know?") and it'd come off better. Then do the war dance and start the music without them doing the Michael Jackson/Bo Selecta "hee hee" impression.

• Paid Members

I think they could just put the "we say uce" part before the war dance (possibly before they come out, like Road Dogg's "oh you didn't know?") and it'd come off better. Then do the war dance and start the music without them doing the Michael Jackson/Bo Selecta "hee hee" impression.

I like the idea of the war dance followed by hip hop, but aye it's all too much as is. I always thought tgey should do the call and response bit during the shoulders, knees and toes slapping (rather than chanting), followed by a bang and straight in to the hip hop.

Just idly re-reading old Observers and here's a little bit of good Meltzer craic from October 1995 with the WWF on its arse. There are lots of off-air moments I'd love to have seen over the years, but Vince's tantrum here would be near the top of my list.

Just as the cameras faded to black signifying the end of the In Your House PPV show on 10/22 in Winnipeg, a disgusted Vince McMahon threw down his glasses and his headset and said the words, "horrible" as he started to walk to the back with Jim Ross while a pull-apart brawl with Bret Hart and Diesel was still going on in the ring. Seconds later, as the brawl ended, Diesel, the person McMahon had planned to build his company around one year earlier, was being booed out of the building, yet another in the long line of failed experiments in his quest to find a new Hulk Hogan. The virtually unanimous crowd reaction to Diesel after yet another unimpressive main event match seems to make it only logical that Bret Hart is destined to have a career similar to the man who his being compared with results in outbursts--Ric Flair. Like Flair, Hart is the man picked to pick up the pieces time-after-time when experiments of creating new world champions that will be the next big thing in wrestling end up with declining box office figures.

For McMahon, the crowd reaction was the crowning jewel of a two week period that he'd most likely love to take back. It was a two-week period that saw injuries to two of his key performers, the quitting of his top assistant, his babyface singles and tag champions being heavily booed after post-matches that weren't designed to elicit such responses, poor house show business at every stop, the debut of a character being groomed for the top echelon falling flat, and among the worst matches and worst overall PPV shows in company history.

There will have been a few personal and professional low ebb's Vince in the 94-97 spell, but this has to be a pretty dark time indeed.