Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

I can't believe anyone would argue that Punk didn't get pushed to the fucking moon. He was given matches against Rock and Undertaker at the Rumble and 'Mania, pretty much the only two shows that matter. They even killed Ryback who had all the momentum in the world to keep Punk's push going. They didn't push him above Cena because you'd have to be mental to. You'd send Cena out anywhere to bring in the numbers, you wouldn't do that with Punk. But wrestlers should and probably would kill for the push that Punk has had.

I'm not arguing that he wasn't given a good push, I'm saying he hasn't been pushed as a top guy. This is a bloke that was almost an afterthought going into Mania, where they threw together some half arsed feud at the last minute. Punk was so credible at the time I remember people were complaining that it was a waste of a Taker's Mania match, or at least, a huge step down from his previous opponents. I can't see how anyone can disagree with the latter.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

This is a bloke that was almost an afterthought going into Mania, where they threw together some half arsed feud at the last minute.

Damn, you're right, I forgot he only faced The Undertaker at WrestleMania.

The build to that match made it feel like any other match is what I'm saying. Punk had spent a year with the belt, often defending it below the proper main events and had needed a lot of help from his dodgy mates to keep it. Just before Mania he was on the back of four huge losses - one to bloody Kane no less - was out on his arse and completely directionless until a few weeks before the event. This wasn't a star they'd built and protected going up against an established star.This had none of the thought, time or energy put into it that the HHH/Taker and HBK/Taker feuds had. They exploited Paul Bearer's recent death cos they hadn't yet been arsed enough to put together a compelling main event level story.

Kofi Kingston vs Santino Marella on Superstars this week is worth a watch. Fun little story of Santino being a bit shit but trying hard, and Kofi being a nice guy about it but still wanting to win.

I went out of my way to watch this, it was great. Raw could do with the odd match like this now and again - characters wrestling out of their comfort zones as ways to possibly build friendships or rivalries. Not slapping you over the head with angles necessarily, but adding depth to the characters they're supposed to be playing. Babyfaces in particular just do NOTHING as actual human beings if they're not actively involved in storylines. Tito Santana couldn't fart near a meaningful storyline after about 1989, but fuck me if you didn't have a good grasp of the type of bloke he was supposed to be from all the innocuous matches he had. Even as a daftarse bullfighter.

Kofi Kingston vs Santino Marella on Superstars this week is worth a watch. Fun little story of Santino being a bit shit but trying hard, and Kofi being a nice guy about it but still wanting to win.

I went out of my way to watch this, it was great. Raw could do with the odd match like this now and again - characters wrestling out of their comfort zones as ways to possibly build friendships or rivalries. Not slapping you over the head with angles necessarily, but adding depth to the characters they're supposed to be playing. Babyfaces in particular just do NOTHING as actual human beings if they're not actively involved in storylines. Tito Santana couldn't fart near a meaningful storyline after about 1989, but fuck me if you didn't have a good grasp of the type of bloke he was supposed to be from all the innocuous matches he had. Even as a daftarse bullfighter.

Have always said that there should be more face vs face & heel vs heel matches.

Remember really enjoying a Bryan vs Morrison match on Raw a few years back, sadly it was too short + there was no rematch.

Reading an old edition of Meltzer's Observer from 1995, do you know the WWF planned on having Prince Andrew's wife, Sarah Ferguson, put the crown on the head of the winner of the King of the Ring that year? Very odd.

But she was busy so there was fucking Mo, glad of the wage.

Reading an old edition of Meltzer's Observer from 1995, do you know the WWF planned on having Prince Andrew's wife, Sarah Ferguson, put the crown on the head of the winner of the King of the Ring that year? Very odd.

I remember reading that years ago. Makes you wonder who they'd have given the win to if she'd been on board. Can't imagine they'd have forked out the cash to have her stick the crown on Mabel. Would have had to be a babyface win surely?

• Paid Members

Thats got to be a bullshit rumour thrown out by WWF to get some publicity. She was still married to Andrew at the time so would have had her appearances controlled by the Palace, they wouldn't touch WWF with a bargepole

• Paid Members

Santino is surely the best comedy wrestler ever right? I can't think of anyone else so consistently funny but also managing to work comedy into proper matches that whole arenas full of fans get into. He makes pretty much everything work.