Paid Members FLips Posted October 30, 2013 Paid Members Posted October 30, 2013 Yeah, I've never heard of it before. Outside of certain instances (like my div mate thinking Matt Hardy attacking Edge from the crowd in 2005 was a shoot), I haven't known of anyone hitting secondary school age and believing any modern pro wrestling was real. I can't understand how it happened in this case. Wasn't it long dead by the time you were 12-13, so you'd have been watching old tapes of ECW featuring a fair few guys you'd also seen in WWE? It was dead and a few of them were in WWE by that point yeah, but my mate had a load of old tapes. I think it was mainly the blood and violence, to be honest. When you're 12/13 and see Terry Funk tangled in barbed wire and people taping glass to their fist, it's not hard to be convinced it's real. I wouldn't say a 12 year old with no internet access who doesn't buy magazines and has only been watching about a year or two is exactly hard to trick either But yeah, a fair few in our school were convinced that ECW was shoot fights or at least the blood and everything was real.
truthofsin Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 Are there many more random moments in WWE history than Diesel, unprovoked, dragging Mad Dog Vachon out of the front row at Good Friends, Better Enemies and then pulling his false leg off to twat HBK with? A tremendously surreal confirmation of a heel turn right there. Wasn't that a rib on Vachon? I'm sure i heard somewhere that they didnt tell him about it before hand.
Paid Members IANdrewDiceClay Posted October 30, 2013 Paid Members Posted October 30, 2013 He was really angry about it actually. I dont know why. They were only pulling his leg.
insert_name_here Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 I heard he tried to sue Vince but was told he didn't have a leg to stand on.
Ant Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 It's crazy to think the lovable King kept his job after the underage rape stuff. I know he wasn't found guilty of that charge (there seemed to be some jiggerypokery) but I'm sure he was still done for intimidating witnesses. Class act.
Doctor Whos Next Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 I heard he tried to sue Vince but was told he didn't have a leg to stand on. As an old pro, he should have known that there are always shennanigans afoot
Whiskey_Jim Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 Might just be me, but Chris Hemsworth looks a bit like Bobby Roode.
Paid Members Nick Soapdish Posted October 30, 2013 Paid Members Posted October 30, 2013 Might just be me, but Chris Hemsworth looks a bit like Bobby Roode. YES!!!!!!! It's just you
Ro_y Disco Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 I've never heard of anyone thinking ECW was real before. Take it for what it's worth, but Paul Heyman said, maybe on The Rise + Fall of ECW documentary, that they had trouble getting on networks because people thought "oh those guys are real".
PSF Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 10 years ago (ish) WWE were doing a story where Bubba Ray Dudley and Trish Stratus were getting a bit flirty. At the time it was so stupid, because someone like Trish would never go with Bubba. 10 years on he's with the almost equally as hot Brooke Tessmacher and your left thinking, yeah thats fair enough.
Paid Members martyngnr Posted October 30, 2013 Paid Members Posted October 30, 2013 Where does Shane Douglas rank in the history of pro wrestling in the UKFF's opinion? In Shane's mind I'm sure he'd place himself first above Hogan, Samartino, Flair & Thez, but I only ever knew him as the wee fat guy in WCW. The Dean Douglas character sucked ass by all accounts, but was he fuckin great in ECW? If so, was it his promo work or his in ring ability? The highlight of Shane Douglas' appearances was hearing Perfect Strangers play as he walked to the ring. It was all downhill after that.
Paid Members garynysmon Posted October 30, 2013 Paid Members Posted October 30, 2013 I've never heard of anyone thinking ECW was real before. Take it for what it's worth, but Paul Heyman said, maybe on The Rise + Fall of ECW documentary, that they had trouble getting on networks because people thought "oh those guys are real". I was a bit old to be fooled by it by the time it appeared on SKY, but I did manage to convince my sister it was 'real wrestling'.
Pinc Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 I remember it being said that ECW was real but the WWF wasn't (admitting that you watched WCW was tantamount to coming out at my school, so nobody dared ponder their legitimacy aloud), but even at the time thinking everybody was indulging in a bit of healthy, voluntary double-think. 'ECW is real' was more a meme that you went along with for the fun of it than a sincerely held belief. Except when Rhino piledrove that woman through a table. You could see that was real on the video.
SteelEdge Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 Just watching Pointless and the girl Lisa says she used to be a wrestler and her ringname was Georgie Shaw. Anyone know anything about her?
Dirty Eddie Posted October 30, 2013 Posted October 30, 2013 Where does Shane Douglas rank in the history of pro wrestling in the UKFF's opinion? In Shane's mind I'm sure he'd place himself first above Hogan, Samartino, Flair & Thez, but I only ever knew him as the wee fat guy in WCW. The Dean Douglas character sucked ass by all accounts, but was he fuckin great in ECW? If so, was it his promo work or his in ring ability? The highlight of Shane Douglas' appearances was hearing Perfect Strangers play as he walked to the ring. It was all downhill after that. I found it interesting to hear on a recent Steve Austin podcast that he rated Douglas quite highly. He said that back when the Blondes were wrestling Steamboat & Douglas in WCW Douglas was a great babyface to work with. Even compared to Steamboat (the king of the sympathetic babyface with a fiery comeback routine) Douglas was great for getting heat on and had a strong comeback. He also rated his promo work in WCW. His conclusion was that if you had the in-ring talent of his early babyface work combined with his ECW era promo ability you'd have had a hell of a wrestler. Unfortunately it never panned out that way. The closest you'll get to Austin's idea was in 1994 when Douglas was still healthy and he started making waves with his rapidly improving promos. Unfortunately his body soon started falling apart and he ended up being a bit of a dickhead backstage anyway so screwed his chances up in the big leagues. It's easy to laugh at Douglas now, as for the past 15 years he's been pretty rubbish and easily mockable. "Injury-prone windbag" was I believe a Powerslam description back in the day and it's pretty much spot on. He's become wrestling's Kenny Powers, but much shitter - with a deluded sense of self importance over the last decade, with no grounding in reality. He was pretty good for about 2 years though once. He's a bit like a lower-rent Matt Hardy. It's easy to instantly think "cross-eyed, beer-gut-having idiot" when someone mentions Hardy, as it's easy to forget he was once super over and in a bunch of great matches over a decade ago.
Recommended Posts