Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Well, I wrote a list of what I thought were great ring names, because they gave you an idea of what to expect from either character, style or personality of the wrestler/wrestlers, and then to have a look how they did on the list. Admittedly I wrote mine with more WWF/E bias than their finished article has which was a pleasant surprise, and they did remember some good ones that I had forgotten.

The Rock

MVP

Rob Van Dam

CM Punk (21)

Hulk Hogan (26)

Ultimate Warrior (47)

Legion Of Doom

Demolition

The Million Dollar Man

Mr Perfect

Ravishing Rick Rude (20)

Jake The Snake (18)

Honky Tonk Man

Ric Flair (14)

Stone Cold Steve Austin (2)

The Undertaker (39)

Rowdy Roddy Piper (28)

Randy Macho Man Savage (1)

.... I'm at a loss how "Hulk Hogan" isn't up there. You KNOW what you're getting from a "Hulk." It's brilliant.

In terms of ones that I really disagree with compared to who didn't get in, Chris Jericho (43) Michael Hayes (40) Dusty Rhodes (12) tell you nothing about the character and seem only to be in the list because the writers want to tell you the origin stories. Well, just as a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it, I don't think a great ring name has to be explained. It just IS a great name, and I don't think they are, compared to something that instantly creates a picture of what you're going to get like "Million Dollar Man" or "Mr Perfect." I also think that Hitman (31) - mysteriously written as "Hit Man" in contradiction to the last 20 years of how they've written it - is ranked far too highly because the word has connotations that I felt didn't fit the character, even though he obviously made it work tremendously with the crosshairs logo and naming his hold "the Sharpshooter." It's just to me, you say "Hitman" and I expect a man dressed in all black hiding among rooftops with night vision goggles and a silencer on his gun - and that wasn't what you got.

As usual the write-ups are a mixture of "interesting" and "bollocks." - "Legend has it that “Cowboy” Bob Orton’s LJN figure is actually a Bret Hart sculpt based on the persona that never was." - that's a fantastic snippet when you remember Bret's story about the office wanting Bret to be the cowboy character, especially if you're a figure nerd like me.

Conversely this sentence about Bam Bam Bigelow made me cough up my coffee - "responsible for some of wrestling’s most iconic moments in a decade that saw plenty of them" - now, I loved Bam Bam's work in both his WWF runs and he had his moments elsewhere too, but I can't think of anything he ever did that rates as "iconic" to the point that I don't even know which decade they refer to.

Hell, if you didn't make the cut for that Kid Rock video, you definitely didn't contribute something iconic.

Edited by air_raid

• Paid Members

Didn't his feud with LT more or less main event mania that year? That was probably a bigger deal to Americans than it would seem over here. That and him and Taz going through the ring are the things that come to mind for me when thinking of Bam Bam.

• Paid Members
Didn't his feud with LT more or less main event mania that year? That was probably a bigger deal to Americans than it would seem over here.

The shove at the Rumble was a big "Sports Center" moment and they did indeed feature heavily in the Mania build and go on last so it was a pretty big deal in 1995, but it was almost instantly forgotten by the company within a few months again and virtually never mentioned again after Bam's release. Massive at the time but iconic? I think that's pushing it.

As an aside, I mentioned the "Lonely Road Of Faith" video - remarkable to think that two guys like Sid and Jarrett who were not thought of highly, didn't contribute anything massively "big deal" or enduring to the WWF and left on bad terms, both got their mugs in that video. And Bam Bam didn't :(

Just an errant thought. If it does turn out that Kane is goin to be joining the wyatt family does anyone else think he will change his look? Been a while now since he has changed the mask or the horrid attire he is now sporting.

I'd like him to keep the Kane mask but maybe sport some overalls. Or maybe just ditch the kane mask and wrestle in the sheep mask.

• Paid Members

I got round to listening to Steve Austin's podcast with Scott Hall today, and there was a part of it that surprised me and was hoping that someone on here could clarify if it was all true or not.

Scott Hall says one of the main reasons he left WWF for WCW was because WCW were willing to give him an actual contract which guaranteed him money. Austin comments that this was the first time a contract like this would exist for a wrestler, that this was a pretty big landmark moment for wrestlers. But I found it really hard to believe that guys like Hogan and Warrior and whomever were not getting guaranteed money during the height of their runs.

Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

• Paid Members
Did it make Cena look as much of a ponce as all the 'we hate Cena anyway' brigade are making out?

Well his Bella tried to get him to say he was interested in marrying her and Cena managed to deflect it like a boss. He made her feel special while completely fucking the whole idea of marriage off and didn't even have to say the L word.

Did it make Cena look as much of a ponce as all the 'we hate Cena anyway' brigade are making out?

It's not just because he bought her a range rover is it? or that a recently divorced man is shockingly not wanting to get married again for a while

Cena comes across quite well. About 20% of the time, the Bellas seem alright, so you wonder how much they're putting on the other 80% or if they are just plain horrible.

The bit about Brodus getting annoyed with the Funkadactyls for being shit was humorous in a brass neck/lack of self awareness kind of way.

On the whole it was far more interesting than I expected, but then I thought it was going to be hugely horrible. The wife prefers it to Raw already :(

• Paid Members

I really want Vincent to turn up on Raw and smack Brodus about. Anyway, Cena is playing this like the champ he is, no doubt he'll have moved on to another Diva by the end of the year.

I got round to listening to Steve Austin's podcast with Scott Hall today, and there was a part of it that surprised me and was hoping that someone on here could clarify if it was all true or not.

Scott Hall says one of the main reasons he left WWF for WCW was because WCW were willing to give him an actual contract which guaranteed him money. Austin comments that this was the first time a contract like this would exist for a wrestler, that this was a pretty big landmark moment for wrestlers. But I found it really hard to believe that guys like Hogan and Warrior and whomever were not getting guaranteed money during the height of their runs.

Can anyone shed more light on this for me?

Wrestlers were given their money based on their position on the card and what they sold, that was how you got your money up until 1996 - it was just the way things were run, although there are plenty of stories of Warrior and the like moaning about a pay day. Also, Hogan had no real reason to need the guaranteed salary, he was a multi-millionaire the time Hall got his deal (same with Warrior). Hogan is no mug, though, his WCW contract was loaded with potential money, for instance he was guaranteed a healthy cut of any WCW PPV has was on, and at that time Hogan was big money on PPV.

• Paid Members

Just watched Total Divas and thought it was pretty fucking good! Enjoyed it way more than I expected to. The trailer for next week's episode was tremendous too. WWE is the perfect setting for the whole fake reality show thing really. I'm almost surprised it's taken this long for them to do it.

I'm such a sad bastard.