Random thoughts thread v2 *NO NEWS ITEMS*

tiger_rick

Money in the Bank used to be a nice way of cramming a bunch of people on to the Wrestlemania Card that otherwise would have had nothing to do, but since that has evolved into a concept of its own they could do with something to replace it.

There was a rumour going around a month or so ago that there would be a MITB match at 'Mania this year and WWE were going to have Ryback win it. Things have probably changed a number of times since then though.

Wrestlemania needs that price for the guys doing very little to go for again. Last year for example, Kane vs Orton and Big Show vs Cody were both decent matches but would never have been given the time of day if the Money in the Bank ladder match was on the show and the four of them would likely have ended up going after the briefcase. Arguably, it could be said that devoting time to one on one rivalries is a good thing but I just feel that feuds with little energy put into them can be done on a more minor show to better effect than placed between World Championship matches and special attractions such as The Undertaker, Triple H and The Rock etc.

I'd like to see Money in the Bank back at Mania and the MITB pay per view replaced with King of the Ring with added stipulation of awarding the winner with a title shot of their choosing at Summerslam introduced.

On the subject of the King of the Ring and tournament-style matches...

In a TV ad for Wednesday's Ion show, WWE showed Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Damien Sandow, The Miz, Antonio Cesaro, Darren Young and Randy Orton as the eight participants in the first ever Intercontinental Cup tournament for a shot at Wade Barrett's I-C title.
From WrestlingObserver

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Not sure where that leaves Bo Dallas. A short feud with Barrett until the tournament concludes?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

On the subject of the King of the Ring and tournament-style matches...

In a TV ad for Wednesday's Ion show, WWE showed Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Kofi Kingston, Damien Sandow, The Miz, Antonio Cesaro, Darren Young and Randy Orton as the eight participants in the first ever Intercontinental Cup tournament for a shot at Wade Barrett's I-C title.
From WrestlingObserver

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Not sure where that leaves Bo Dallas. A short feud with Barrett until the tournament concludes?

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Why Darren Young and no Titus O Neill? Unless they replace him with Bo or something

• Paid Members

Was debating starting a new thread about this, but decided not to.

During Friday's TNA taping in Manchester, Dixie Carter came out and thanked fans for making IMPACT the no.1 rated Wrestling show in the UK (which is true). But going by anything else but the ratings, you could never tell that.

Search all the NEWZ sites, and it's 75% WWE. Even down to small things like the number of threads on here linked to the weekly Raw episode, when you don't see half as many discussion threads on Impact.

Why is that? I reckon it must be something to do with the audience.

Do the hardcore fans still gravitate to the WWE over anything else (which sounds weird when thinking about it). The people who watch impact must be made up of families who don't have Sky Sports, who like their weekly Wrestling show, but it stops right there.

I'm not sure i'm even making any sense, but i've been writing all day and this is about as articulate as I can be by now.

More people still watch WWE, just by other means (Internet) plus it has better marketing/promotion/brand value and all that. TNA are really shit at that stuff . Plus TNA is a terrible name for a wrestling promotion - is it true that Russo came up with that name cos of its implied edginess (tits and asses)?

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

To be honest, TNA isn't the worst name around. It's meant "tits and asses" in the US for longer than it has done here. Personally, I know very few people in the UK who know that that's what it stands for.

Also, if it wasn't for that sole meaning, it would actually be a good combo of letters - sounds dynamic and rolls off the tongue easily.

They can't decide on their brand. The uk tour poster had TNA in big letters and then further down in small "featuring the stars of impact wrestling". When Hulk and Bischoff came in they knew the name wasn't good started the rebrand then didn't get to follow through because someone was worried about the value of the TNA name value. They should have a clear identity.