The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

By the way, this bit of my post;

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

And Askren bowling into enemy territory and ragging Till around like a dog playing with a toy then cutting a promo on the whole division would be a hell of a debut. 

Wasn’t me saying I think Askren ragdolls Till with ease. I’m just saying that if that’s what happened it would be a great way for Askren to debut. Schooling Till on UK soil then verbally assaulting every meaningful name in his weight range post-fight. And beating a guy who just challenged for the title to boot. 

Yeah it’d suck for Till but what can you do? You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs and fuck protecting Till anyway. When you’ve given it the big one like he has, throw him in there. If he beats Askren it’s a fantastic way to bounce back from the Woodley defeat and silence some critics at the same time by beating a wrestler, Woodley’s teammate. 

Personally I’d rather see Till try 185 but I’d be well up for him vs Askren first. It’s a really interesting matchup IMO. If not this then I’d still like to see that Askren vs Lawler fight I was on about before and here’s one - maybe Till vs Anderson Silva at 185? Tons of possibilities for both. I just like the contrast in fighting styles between Askren and Till and I think the buildup would be a laugh as well judging by Till’s temper and how he's been biting at Askren’s digs already. 

On the Askren vs Lawler idea, I saw this on Twitter earlier...

4475BF11-5C41-4B20-A025-FD470301C6D4.jpeg

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Edit. Totally forgot Till v Wonder Boy was a FN. For some reason I thought it was ppv like Bisping/Hendo 2.

I'm not saying he wasn't a big name then but he was on the up, wasn't he. It was also a return to Liverpool. I'd put the quality of that main event down to an anomaly rather than an indication of what to expect from a card in London. The last 4 cards have been:

Werdum vs. Volkov

Manuwa vs Corey Anderson

Silva vs Bisping (Ok ... another good one there)

Gustafsson vs. Manuwa

And as David says, ticket prices have been sky bloody high every time.

• Paid Members

There was a press conference for UFC 232 after the weigh ins at MSG last night. Dana, Jones, Gustafsson, Cyborg and Nunes were there. 

Haven’t watched it myself yet but I did catch the staredowns at the end. Jones-Gus was good.

EAA82928-AD37-4006-B58B-8EE8F684F26D.gif

• Paid Members

Yeah I still believe that it’s going to have to be a heavyweight who takes Jones’ 0. And even then I think he beats most heavies as well. I can’t see anyone at 205 beating him. For all his faults and scumminess, I genuinely think he’s probably the best fighter MMA has ever seen. Top 2 at least. It’s him or Georges for me. He’s just unbelievably good. 

All that said though, if anyone’s going to beat Jones at 205, I think Gus is probably your man. But he’s had so many injuries since their first fight and I still think Jones took Gus lightly the first time. After the war they had he won’t make that mistake again. 

I just hope it actually happens. Between Gus constantly getting hurt and Jones constantly fucking up, the chances of this fight falling to bits are depressingly high. 

• Paid Members

if you wanna look at MMA as a bit of a soap opera the Jon Jones heel turn has been the brilliant, remember when Jones used to refuse to look an opponent in the eye? all that shits gone out of the window now, hes straight in someones mug, great stuff  

• Paid Members

I still maintain that Gusty should have won the decision in their first fight, though it was obviously extremely close. I do think that the Mauler from then was well capable of beating Jones. However, the time in between, incredibly, has been kinder to Jones than Gustafsson.

If Alex is to beat Jones this time, I feel Jon would probably need to either make a mistake or have been taking him for granted again. Both of which are unlikely. 

Aye.

Helwani

Floyd Mayweather vs. Tenshin Nasukawa. Dec. 31. Saitama Super Arena. Rules: TBD.

Surely Floyd will demand that the fight be contested under straight boxing rules and with suitable gloves? There is now way he'll fight a kickboxer under mixed rules. He's too business savvy for that. 

Mayweather’s just a fucking irritant, now.

Seems to me, though, that he’s likely pissed his money away. That’s the only thing that makes sense. He’s skint, and he’s doing this weird novelty tour to try and recoup some cash and protect his record.

I imagine this fight will be boxing rules, and a work in all but name.

Archived