The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Paid Members

I saw Miesha Tate has joined ONE now as well, as Vice President. What that will involve, fuck knows? But they must be paying her well because she’s going to be relocating to Singapore and she’s not long had a baby. 

ONE are making moves and splashing the money about. When Eddie Alvarez was on Helwani’s show just after he signed he was saying ONE had some huge plans, then the Mighty Mouse deal happened. Wonder what’s next. 

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

They've received somewhere in the region of $166m in a cash injection from an investor recently. Which for a money losing company is staggering. There seem to be no end to people looking to throw large sums of cash at MMA companies for a slice of the TV rights fee pie that UFC is about to earn, yet there doesn't seem to be anyone with the interest to do the same in wrestling. This is despite WWE's TV deal being a lot better, and small wrestling promotions doing comparative or better ratings with the smaller MMA promotions, as well as wrestling seeming to be a business with lower overheads than MMA. It's quite strange, really. 

One doesn't seem to be trying to get US ratings they have a free app out for the west, they usually run shows on Fridays local time, so basically most of their shows air early Friday mornings US and afternoons here. I think they avoid Saturdays to avoid various European football leagues that sports channels are more likely to show. There plan seems to be get a big Asian audience and then make money through advertising. They are doing Boxing (they have a top 10 p4p guy I think from Thailand) they do grappling and Muai Thai fights as well I think.

They have about 3 VPs of something that I know, Rich Franklin, Matt Hume & now Meisha Tate

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I saw Miesha Tate has joined ONE now as well, as Vice President. What that will involve, fuck knows? But they must be paying her well because she’s going to be relocating to Singapore and she’s not long had a baby. 

ONE are making moves and splashing the money about. When Eddie Alvarez was on Helwani’s show just after he signed he was saying ONE had some huge plans, then the Mighty Mouse deal happened. Wonder what’s next. 

imagine its the same kind of role that Rich Franklin has with them. 

Im loving all this shit One are doing, for a while its a promotion i really want to get into but a few recognisable names and a bit of media coverage from the main sites is whats been missing for me, these new announcements are a move in the right direction. One's youtube channel is great though, i really need to dip in there and watch some stuff.

• Paid Members

I wonder if Bellator will do any cross promotion stuff with ONE. It’d be cool if they did a big co-promoted show once a year or something. Then you could see fighters on ONE shows who were big names in Asia at one point like Fedor, Rampage, Cro Cop, even Manhoef, Wandy could bust out the soccer kicks again and we might finally get Alvarez vs Chandler 3 after all! 

Looks like Mayweather's exhibition bout is back on.

From Sherdog:

Just a week after announcing the fight was no longer happening, Floyd Mayweather appears to have revived the furor about a boxing match against Japanese wunderkind Tenshin Nasukawa at Rizin FF 14 on New Year’s Eve in Japan. Speaking to TMZ, Mayweather said on Wednesday night that the he intends to go ahead with the exhibition bout against Nasukawa at the end of this year. “We’re gonna make it happen. It’s a no-brainer. Just because I’m retired from boxing, I still make appearances worldwide and make a ton of money,” he told TMZ.

The undefeated boxer would not be putting his record on the line, as the bout would be slated as a short exhibition bout under boxing rules. “Rules,” Mayweather said, “It’s gonna be a little boxing exhibition. No kicking. I’m moving around with the guy for 9 minutes…”

For this appearance, Mayweather stands to make a great deal of money, remarking “…and of course, it’s gonna be the highest-paid exhibition ever.” Mayweather is coming off his massive boxing match against Conor McGregor, an event that scored a reported 4.3 million pay-per-view buys, earning him upwards of $200 million. The purse for this bout has not yet been announced. Facing him would be 20-year-old undefeated kickboxing sensation Nasukawa, who holds a kickboxing record of 27-0 with 20 knockouts, and is also 4-0 in MMA -- all in Rizin FF -- with three finishes. Nasukawa recently defeated Rizin Bantamweight Grand-Prix winner and former UFC flyweight title challenger Kyoji Horiguchi in a wild kickboxing match.

Edit: More interestingly:

Breaking: The UFC is close to finalizing Nick Diaz's return to the Octagon, per Dana White. The fight is Jorge Masvidal at UFC 235 on March 2 in Las Vegas. Diaz's first appearance in more than four years. Story coming soon to @ESPN.

• Paid Members

Diaz must be running low on money to be coming back for that fight. He’s been disinterested for years, hasn’t fought since the Anderson fight back in 2015 and has turned down fights left and right in the 4 years since. Bigger fights than Jorge Masvidal too. I can’t remember all the fights he was reportedly offered but I know he was linked to a talked about fight with Bisping which could’ve been awesome, in the cage and the buildup. And I’m sure he was offered fights with Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown - fantastic fights - and Demian Maia - not so much. He either turned them all down or, in most cases, just didn’t even bother to respond to or acknowledge the offer. Everything I’ve seen and read the last few years, I got the impression Nick didn’t give a fuck about fighting again. So him coming back against Jorge Masvidal who is a tough fighter and difficult to look good against, and not a massive name, it’s weird. I know Diaz isn’t exactly in a position to just call the shots but I always thought he was good with not fighting again unless it was something huge which would sort him out money wise for a few years. The GSP and Anderson fights were in line with that. But this Masvidal thing, it just seems very un-Diaz. 

Still, I’m glad he’s back and it’s an interesting fight. Hopefully he sticks around for more than one fight/doesn’t fail the weed test again because throwing him into that mix with Askren, Lawler, Till, Perry etc could be so much fun. Not to mention the potential of him vs Conor McGregor. Another chapter in the Diaz vs McGregor rivalry. 

A very unfortunate incident occurred Sunday night with Rachael Ostovich that ended with her suffering a fractured orbital and other injuries. As a result of these injuries she will not be able to compete in her upcoming bout with Paige VanZant on January 19th. Rachael is now home from the hospital with her family and will be going back for further check ups on her orbital. The family would like to ask for some privacy as they sort through this matter. We would like to thank the UFC for all their support on this matter as well as the fans and media for your concern

Ironically my wife was the one in my household who was more interested in the 'battle of the breasts' as she called it.

Archived