The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Didn’t Alvarez take the Conor fight on shit money? 

He doesn’t come across as a smart one.

$500,000 to show, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship apparently, not including any other bonuses he may have gotten. Basically, the standard amount for a title defence I think.

• Paid Members

Imagine One has offered him some big money to go fight there. I think we've hammered the Ben Askren thing to death but its probably safe to say that One really looked after him when he fought there. Its a great promotion, it just doesnt get much US or mainstream MMA coverage, it seems a huge deal in Asia, Eddie will probably get treated like a superstar.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Imagine One has offered him some big money to go fight there. I think we've hammered the Ben Askren thing to death but its probably safe to say that One really looked after him when he fought there. Its a great promotion, it just doesnt get much US or mainstream MMA coverage, it seems a huge deal in Asia, Eddie will probably get treated like a superstar.

This is a big factor. Because we're used to Western media and culture being so ubiquitous, it's often easy to forget that we do live in somewhat of a bubble. Asia is in terms of potential numbers a much bigger market than America and Europe - the balancer being that the West has a much higher population with disposable income. But if ONE are developing the Asian market, especially with China and India making huge strides in their economic and industrial development, ignoring them will be to the UFC's peril.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

This is a big factor. Because we're used to Western media and culture being so ubiquitous, it's often easy to forget that we do live in somewhat of a bubble. Asia is in terms of potential numbers a much bigger market than America and Europe - the balancer being that the West has a much higher population with disposable income. But if ONE are developing the Asian market, especially with China and India making huge strides in their economic and industrial development, ignoring them will be to the UFC's peril.

I don't think they run in India, its mainly South East Asia, China they run but I don't think have any stars there, Japan & South Korea are the two most advanced Asian countries when it comes to MMA and One I think are still trying to get in that market but it's hard for a non Japanese company like the WWE or UFC, some assumed they could just take over from Pride because they had no Yakuza links but that obviously didn't happen. They have lost quite a bit of money but have raised a lot in investment recently here's an article that tells you more about their finances https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/17/17976862/one-championship-look-finances-mma-one-fc-losses

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, the_mole said:

I don't think they run in India, its mainly South East Asia, China they run but I don't think have any stars there, Japan & South Korea are the two most advanced Asian countries when it comes to MMA and One I think are still trying to get in that market but it's hard for a non Japanese company like the WWE or UFC, some assumed they could just take over from Pride because they had no Yakuza links but that obviously didn't happen. They have lost quite a bit of money but have raised a lot in investment recently here's an article that tells you more about their finances https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/10/17/17976862/one-championship-look-finances-mma-one-fc-losses

That's very interesting, will certainly take a look. Thanks for that. South East Asia's still a huge market though, even without China - Indonesia has the fourth-highest population in the world at 400 million, Vietnam's roughly around 100 million, Philippines are close to the same, I think. Makes sense that they're not running India - I'd imagine there are still morality issues to factor in.

• Paid Members

I think theres plans for them to expand into China next year too.

Im quite excited by the Alvarez signing, its gonna draw some interest from MMA fans including myself, i know the markets rammed but not a One show goes past where you dont see a bunch of crazy highlights thats make the shows look/sound great. Michael Schiavallo on the call too, i need to get involved.

• Paid Members

301D769C-9297-47F8-BF91-EC1654F496A2.jpeg.c48496fc2434022ee65bc252a3227638.jpeg

Can’t say I’m surprised. He’s tailor made. It always felt like a natural move for him to eventually make. Six months calling Smackdown, then shoot a big angle to get him in the ring. Magic.

I just hope Vince shouting down his ear doesn’t kill his enthusiasm.

• Paid Members

That makes absolute sense if UFC are indeed closing down 125. Wouldn't blame DJ for wanting to jump. Shame Bellator doesn't have a flyweight division.

• Paid Members

Wasn't expecting that one. 

I'll be sad to see DJ go if this ends up happening. Whatever your opinion is on him he's undeniably one of the very best fighters in the game and he belongs in the UFC. I don't really keep up with ONE, not because I don't want to, just haven't had the time to get into them fully. I've caught the odd show or fight obviously. I'll definitely be watching DJ there. 

I'm guess DJ has done all there is to do really in the UFC flyweight division. Aside from the Cejudo rubber match or jumping up in weight to fight Dillashaw, there isn't really a fight that I'd consider a must. So watching him wreck fools outside the UFC might be fun. 

And if it means we finally get Askren in the UFC, I'm all for it. Throwing him straight into that mix with Woodley, Covington, Dos Anjos, Usman...there's nothing but interesting challenges for him there. 

Archived