The new MMA general news, events and thoughts thread

The Natural

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A top official is Goddard, who I rate as the best in the game today. I know Herb gets the plaudits, but I've always thought he could be a bit flaky now and then. Goddard is solid and no-nonsense, the type you want officiating and looking after you in the cage.

• Paid Members

Aye. Herb was, at one point, the best about, but "flaky" is the best way to describe some of his decision making over the past couple of years. With Goddard he seems to tackle things with quicker decision making and, importantly, a better level of common sense. Of course, being consistent with those two skills is vital for any ref, but Goddard is usually always on top of things.

• Paid Members

Goddard is class. I’ve said for ages that he’s leagues above Herb Dean and the rest. Him and John McCarthy are the best MMA referees ever by miles. Consistent, fair, firm when they need to be, and often you forget they’re even there which is really the mark of a great referee. I’d put Josh Rosenthal at a distant number 3 but I don’t think I’ve seen him ref for a while. 

The UFC is building a Performance Institute in Shanghai, 3 times bigger than the one in Vegas $13 million but this one will have a gym with actual MMA instructors and non UFC guys coming in on a scholarship from around Asia, they are also joining on a 1,000 seat arena attached to it were promoters can run small shows and contender series stuff, I can see them slowly doing the same in markets like India (Spanish speaking) Latin America, maybe Europe & middle east. Kind of like NXT expanding to UK and I've heard Germany. The current TUF gym is turning into an expanded small arena for the contender series & small arena shows (slightly over 1,000) like the Palms in Vegas, then rent it out to Boxing, Kickboxing, BJJ etc events when not in use.

• Paid Members
On 11/20/2018 at 7:24 AM, theringmaster said:

Ironically my wife was the one in my household who was more interested in the 'battle of the breasts' as she called it.

Rachael Ostovich’s husband has been arrested for attempted murder now, according to MMAJunkie. 

As always when a story like this comes out, most of the comments from MMA fans on this story make me despair in the human race. 

It's such a shame that a guy once considered the best in the game has now become a bit of an afterthought. 

Who would have thought when he stepped into the cage to face Weidman at UFC 162 on a 17 fight win streak that from that day onward he'd amass a 1-4-1 record, with his only victory coming via decision over Derek Brunson?

Saying that, aside from the KO loss to Weidman his losses have come via decision against Bisping (in a fight I felt could be argued he won) and a loss to DC at 205lbs, and due to that leg break.

Still, what the fuck is he doing accepting a fight like this? There's zero upside for him, at all. 

32 minutes ago, Chunk said:

I don't think there's zero upside but it's a bad choice, yeah.

If he handily beats one of the hottest prospects in the UFC; it's a pretty good way to reboot his career.

He's 43 years old, there's no rebooting his career. He can't accomplish anything that he hasn't already done in his career in much better fashion.

I don't see the point of guys like him being around unless they're being used in showcase fights. 

• Paid Members

Sadly, as discussed in another thread, this is a mentality that is all too common amongst former great prizefighters - Ali to BJ Penn. Silva probably reckons he's got another run in him, brother. After all, he's the "greatest fighter of all time" or something. It must be tough having such greatness and resigning yourself to the fact that greatness now stretches far behind you in the distance, particularly when you attach the colossal ego that can come with greatness.

It rarely happens, but it's up to the promoters to protect people like him because Silva is probably just going to bash away until he finally realises he's done, which will be a bit too late.

As much as I've soured on him since all the PED stuff, I do hope he can at least look competitive out there.

Just now, ColinBollocks said:

It rarely happens, but it's up to the promoters to protect people like him because Silva is probably just going to bash away until he finally realises he's done, which will be a bit too late.

If there's money to be made, the promoters will keep him around. It's just sad that in the past they were probably setting up his fights thinking "I wonder what he'll do to amaze everyone and keep the interest going this time around?" and are now thinking "I wonder how awesome Adesanya will look when he decimates a living legend?"

It's the cynical part of the game that I don't really like. To the UFC Anderson Silva was just a commodity, and today it's Adesnya who's the commodity. Hell, once McG starts to see his star wane and the dollars aren't flowing in quite so freely the company will ditch him and move onto the next shiny new toy.

If it can happen to someone who generated them a fortune, what chance to the rest of the fighters have?

I have some sympathy for the UFC.

Its a funny position to be in, as the fighters want to be treated like a commodity, really, and because fans will always listen to fighters and not brass, they take their side. Fighters always want the big fight they aren’t ready for, or are way past, and when they don’t get it they’re given sympathy and the UFC are given shite.

Look at Chuck. He was a prize asset and Dana retired him... UFC are still getting shite about it to this day. Even Oscar piles on.

I can understand the UFC wanting to let fighters decide for themselves, and only cutting them when they lose value. It’s much simpler.

bT9oQHb.jpg

In UK news Will "Carnage" Cairns beat Andrew Haywood in an amateur fight at Full Contact Contender 22 last night. "Who and who?" most of you are probably thinking. Prior to last night Cairns was on a 61 fight losing streak (according to Tapology at least) with a record of 0-30 as a professional and 0-31 as an amateur. Let's hope he finally decides to retire now he's actually won a fight...

37 minutes ago, Tamura said:

bT9oQHb.jpg

In UK news Will "Carnage" Cairns beat Andrew Haywood in an amateur fight at Full Contact Contender 22 last night. "Who and who?" most of you are probably thinking. Prior to last night Cairns was on a 61 fight losing streak (according to Tapology at least) with a record of 0-30 as a professional and 0-31 as an amateur. Let's hope he finally decides to retire now he's actually won a fight...

How bad must he be to lose to that guy ? Granted he could probably kick my arse as well

Archived