Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

• Paid Members

That's pretty much it. 10pts needed from a possible 12, and to be honest I'd rather it happen on Tuesday than have Hull's fans say they both kept us down and sent us down inside 5 years.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gary Smith's a good manager. He's one of the few completely foreign guys to go to the US and be very successful, as most foreigners played or coached over there first. If he's left to go and get his players, I think that over the long haul he'll get more good than bad.

He is of course long gone now. Perhaps too prematurely for my liking as he never saw an entire season, but things were getting increasingly tepid and fans weren't turning up any more. Granted we're a small club anyway but when 3,500 were turning up regularly under Graham Westley's "anti-football" and then less than 2,000 were doing so under Gary Smith, you know things weren't all that.

I have a feeling he'll go down a tier or two and do a blinding job, though. I really do.

Another big one against Barnet today. Record vs Barnet not great, but historically, we have the 2000/01 season in which we did the double, including the windiest last-day battle ever that kept us up. Could do with a repeat of those antics!

Will be even tenser on Tuesday night, especially as we definitely can't afford to lose now, and it's not ideal to even draw. Interesting to see that apparently Barnet haven't won an away league game on a Tuesday night for seven years, although the way the second half of this season has gone for us the chances of them ending the record are fairly high. Really could have done without York winning as well.

He is of course long gone now. Perhaps too prematurely for my liking as he never saw an entire season, but things were getting increasingly tepid and fans weren't turning up any more. Granted we're a small club anyway but when 3,500 were turning up regularly under Graham Westley's "anti-football" and then less than 2,000 were doing so under Gary Smith, you know things weren't all that.

I have a feeling he'll go down a tier or two and do a blinding job, though. I really do.

Since Phil Wallace tried to buy Orient in the mid-90's, he's had this "young and hungry" model and I wonder if it has reached its ceiling. 3,500 is barely enough to sustain a League 1 club and I think he'd have been given another year but Westley, who they never wanted to leave in the first place, became available. I wholeheartedly agree with you on all counts.

On another subject, the most fucked up season in recent memory continues. Cardiff earn promotion off the back of a Watford loss. Holloway continues to preside over one of the most dramatic collapses in recent memory, as Palace look like they might not even finish in the top six. Bristol City aside, the whole bottom half is still conceivably in trouble, everybody has made the magic 50 point mark with three or four remaining, though Derby and the teams above them have done enough I think.

Amazingly, The League 1 relegation battle couldn't be more different. Three are confirmed down with two to play, Portsmouth and Hartlepool joined Bury. Scunthorpe need to win both and hope that either Oldham or Colchester slip up to stay in the division. Barring a massive shock, the playoff places look set and three continue to battle for automatic promotion.

Further down the leagues, looks like Aldershot are as good as down after a home loss to Southend last night. In the division below, Mansfield scored a late winner at Hereford and now a win on Saturday will secure automatic promotion. At the other end, Stockport scored an even later equaliser at Gateshead to save their skins and keep the home side in trouble. Now County need to win at Aggborough at the weekend against the only team that can deny Mansfield the title. Exciting stuff.

Even if Stockport do pull off the great escape, you have to wonder how they got into that position in the first place. Twelve years ago they were a small but comfortable old Division One club. If they were ex-Prem dropping 4 divisions in such a short space of time might've garnered more attention.

• Paid Members

I'm still resigned to Wolves fucking up 2 of the last 3 games to go down, I just feel it in my bones.

But I also feel there's maybe a shock relegation of Derby or Blackpool on the cards.

Peterborough's run in really should be commended as a great fighting comeback, I hope they stay up ... just not at Wolves' expense.

Another big one against Barnet today. Record vs Barnet not great, but historically, we have the 2000/01 season in which we did the double, including the windiest last-day battle ever that kept us up. Could do with a repeat of those antics!

Will be even tenser on Tuesday night, especially as we definitely can't afford to lose now, and it's not ideal to even draw. Interesting to see that apparently Barnet haven't won an away league game on a Tuesday night for seven years, although the way the second half of this season has gone for us the chances of them ending the record are fairly high. Really could have done without York winning as well.

Big win, that. It's still unbelievably close down there. Won away at Morecambe last season. Haven't beat the Gasheads at home in just under 10 years. Neither of them have anything to play for so let's hope they're phoning it in a bit. One more win should do it...

• Paid Members

Great to see Cardiff finally make it to the big table. I really hope that they can remain competitive without having to sink another truckload of money into it.

Bluebirds or Red Dragons? Doesn't matter because they are PREMIER LEAGUE.

The derbies will be something very special next year, can't wait!

Even if Stockport do pull off the great escape, you have to wonder how they got into that position in the first place. Twelve years ago they were a small but comfortable old Division One club. If they were ex-Prem dropping 4 divisions in such a short space of time might've garnered more attention.

Didn't we have a Stockport fan on here? I recall the problem being losing the control of the stadium to Sale. Brian Kennedy, who sunk obscene amounts into Sale, bought County and ran both businesses side-by-side. He was willing to subsidise rugby but not football and when the company owning both fell into administration, he blamed Stockport and then flogged them off to chancers, who took them through another administration. No stability, no money and it's told on the field.

• Paid Members
Great to see Cardiff finally make it to the big table. I really hope that they can remain competitive without having to sink another truckload of money into it.

Bluebirds or Red Dragons? Doesn't matter because they are PREMIER LEAGUE.

The derbies will be something very special next year, can't wait!

Delighted for Cardiff - and Kevin Macnaughton inparticular.

Congrats Zebra, look forward to seeing Cardiff in the big time next season

Thanks Steve.

The release of the fixture list cannot come quickly enough. I used to pay no attention to it in the past as when you're in the championship pin pointing big games is hard to do as you never know who will be in the inform team, the premiership is something else though. I cannot wait. I'm no longer living in Cardiff full time now so the away games are even more special to me.

• Paid Members
Congrats Zebra, look forward to seeing Cardiff in the big time next season

Thanks Steve.

The release of the fixture list cannot come quickly enough. I used to pay no attention to it in the past as when you're in the championship pin pointing big games is hard to do as you never know who will be in the inform team, the premiership is something else though. I cannot wait. I'm no longer living in Cardiff full time now so the away games are even more special to me.

Enjoy it man.

That first season is so so special, you're going to love it. I'm actually jealous because even though Swansea are only in their second season, i've already started to shrug off ''we've got Spurs this weekend'' as if it's no big deal. The excitement of going to these grounds as an equal blew my mind. It really is that big a step up - no more shitty Football League Show for a start.

I could wax lyrical for ages about being promoted but i'll keep quiet now so you can enjoy it for yourself.

Congratulations again - see you at The Liberty.

Archived