Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

• Paid Members
They should stop appointing Bald managers who all look the same, its clearly not working well for them

Conversely, former UKFFer NBT looks like all of them, is a Blackburn fan, and announced that he'd got a new job yesterday.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Championship is just ridiculous

anyone from below Leeds in 10th I think is still in some danger and can't rest up yet, and as I mentioned yesterday the form of the teams at the bottom could easily see someone currently in 13th-14th falling into the bottom 3 come May.

2 big games for us after the international break, Barnsley and Bristol City on Saturday and Monday, will make or break the season, win both and I think we'll be safe, lose both and we will be in serious trouble and with Antonio out for the year with lost our top scorer at the wrong time.

4 points at the least is a must.

What is currently the record high number of points to be relegated with? I tried to work it out, I got bored in the early 90's.

Don't know about the Championship, but since League Two/Division Three went back up to 24 teams again, the highest points total someone has been relegated with is 49 points, which was Oxford in 05/06 (Carlisle would have also been relegated with 49 points in 98/99 if the two team relegation system had been in place then).

So 50 points is still the total to aim for in League Two. It looks like it's going to be very tight. A huge win for Torquay last night though, especially as most teams around us won as well. Saturday's going to be a huge game for us against York.

• Paid Members

Leicester went down with 52 or 53 under Holloyway a few years ago didn't they? It is really tight down there at the minute. Hope Davids keeps Barnet up, would like to see him do well and he's got balls taking on a job like that with his reputation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Portsmouth saved, Bury in big trouble, Coventry accept their points deduction.

Danny Wilson is looking for work, and water is wet.

Amazing looking at the bottom of league two and championship tables. Nobody is really cut adrift like usually happens and it could literally be any of about 6 or 7 teams in each league with possibly a record high points tally to be relegated with?

We are absolutely adrift. Never mind the maths we can't get a fucking thing out of away fixtures and we're well past relying on home wins. We need to win out AND for Blackburn and Peterborough to be garbage, something well over half of the fanbase has accepted will not be happening. We live in hope but we're facing the end of our 6-year adventure in the second flight.

What wouldn't be a disaster would be the Blue Few winning the playoffs. What would be a disaster would be no fire sale until January.

Leeds look as though we're in trouble. I'm happy we got rid of Colin, we were going nowhere under him and his attitude was atrocious, he's piled us with OAP's like David Norris, Paddy Kenny, Paul Green, Michael Tonge and Steve Morison. We've transformed from one of the most exciting teams in the division when we were promoted (when we had the likes of Gradel, Snodgrass, Becchio, Howson, Johnson) to probably the worst team in the League. It looks as though McDermott is going to become manager - I don't know why he would accept the poisoned chalice of the Leeds job.

Fingers crossed a good result at Leeds on Saturday will see us (Sheff Wed) well on the way to safety.

The Championship is one crazy league. Before the Easter weekend we were fourth bottom and level on points with the team below us.

A win at Leeds on Saturday and we will sit 9th before the 3 pm kick-off's.

We are absolutely adrift. Never mind the maths we can't get a fucking thing out of away fixtures and we're well past relying on home wins. We need to win out AND for Blackburn and Peterborough to be garbage, something well over half of the fanbase has accepted will not be happening. We live in hope but we're facing the end of our 6-year adventure in the second flight.

What wouldn't be a disaster would be the Blue Few winning the playoffs. What would be a disaster would be no fire sale until January.

Think you're alright on Bristol Rovers, I don't think they'll make the playoffs let alone winning them. For me, this has been coming. Spent money in the summer, a lot of money, but haven't spent it in the right positions. The pretentious board seem to have no idea how to build a squad. Gary Johnson, for his faults, seemed to have some idea but the days of signing quality guys for

Leeds look as though we're in trouble. I'm happy we got rid of Colin, we were going nowhere under him and his attitude was atrocious, he's piled us with OAP's like David Norris, Paddy Kenny, Paul Green, Michael Tonge and Steve Morison. We've transformed from one of the most exciting teams in the division when we were promoted (when we had the likes of Gradel, Snodgrass, Becchio, Howson, Johnson) to probably the worst team in the League. It looks as though McDermott is going to become manager - I don't know why he would accept the poisoned chalice of the Leeds job.

I think they need to give McDermott a year to work his magic and then invest next summer.

Got a ticket for Barnet's last game at Underhill a week tomorrow. Two points above the drop zone with 3 games left. Gonna be tight but I think if they can win their next 2 games (next one definitely winnable, away to fellow relegation candidates Torquay) they will stay up. Would be something special to get the points that guarantee safety at the last game at Underhill. The perfect send-off. Fingers crossed.

What is currently the record high number of points to be relegated with? I tried to work it out, I got bored in the early 90's.

Don't know about the Championship, but since League Two/Division Three went back up to 24 teams again, the highest points total someone has been relegated with is 49 points, which was Oxford in 05/06 (Carlisle would have also been relegated with 49 points in 98/99 if the two team relegation system had been in place then).

So 50 points is still the total to aim for in League Two. It looks like it's going to be very tight. A huge win for Torquay last night though, especially as most teams around us won as well. Saturday's going to be a huge game for us against York.

Another big one against Barnet today. Record vs Barnet not great, but historically, we have the 2000/01 season in which we did the double, including the windiest last-day battle ever that kept us up. Could do with a repeat of those antics!

Archived