Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

Millwall/Palace was a cure for insomnia last night. I think one team could be relegated, the other could miss the playoffs. They're both that bad.

It was a local derby. Plenty of dog shit ones in the prem over the last few years. Perhaps the tension of the occasion didn't translate to the casual fan as I know some Palace lads that were there and said it was unbearable.

If Palace make the playoffs, they'll either a) get slaughtered or b) get promoted. They've been on such a terrible run, you'd hope they play with a bit of freedom.

It was tense but just no quality whatsoever. However, how tense can you be when Millwall couldn't hit a barn door at 5 paces.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Me and the old man are off up to Bramall Lane on Friday for Sheff Utd vs Yeovil. He's refusing to miss it after not seeing
a few years ago.

It was the game that got Cohen and Davies a move to Nottingham Forest, where one of them nailed down a first team spot and has made 200 appearances and the other made 30 in three years and was released. I always remembered Davies as the headline-grabbing part of that move but Cohen was the real player.

Fantasy Football Update

Manager Team Name Goals Assists Pts

1 Rich Leaney Football Genius 69 43 443

2 Carl Stewart Conroy's XI 76 36 414

3 Rich Hopkins Super Buster Team Go! 77 44 408

4 Colin Weston Westons Wanderers 65 22 367

5 Shaun Rankin Inconsequenta 52 42 287

6 Graeme Barrie Tartan Barmy 38 24 270

7 Michael Farrow Shish/Chicken Combo 52 37 256

8 stuart siviter Punk & Styles 46 15 176

Looks like a clear winner unless something amazing happens in the play offs!

• Paid Members
Me and the old man are off up to Bramall Lane on Friday for Sheff Utd vs Yeovil. He's refusing to miss it after not seeing
a few years ago.

It was the game that got Cohen and Davies a move to Nottingham Forest, where one of them nailed down a first team spot and has made 200 appearances and the other made 30 in three years and was released. I always remembered Davies as the headline-grabbing part of that move but Cohen was the real player.

I always thought they'd both go on to big things, but that match was probably Davies' peak. He even came back to Yeovil on loan for a bit, I think. I'm glad Cohen's carved out a career at Forest, hopefully he'll get to make a return to Huish Park next season if things go right over the next couple of weeks!

Phew lets all take a breath

What a fantastic last day, when all is said and done its heartbreak for Peterborough who concede in the final minute and go down, they led twice but just couldn't hold on

Barnsley and Huddersfield seemed to be trading places throughout the day as Barnsley lead twice putting Huddersfield in the bottom 3 only to be pegged back both times putting them back in danger but that last minute goal from Palace has saved them.

Hull concede in the last minute and only draw with Cardiff meaning a Watford goal would send them up instead and were behind time by about 15 mins so it was a nervous wait and there was a goal but it came for Leeds and Hull go up

Drama didn't stop there either, a last minute goal for Leicester against Forest leapfrogged them over Bolton for the final spot in the playoffs

Just an incredible up and down day

Things turned out pretty comfortable for us in the end, we never looked in danger of surrendering our lead and the 2-0 win meant we ended 18th which I would of taken back in August.

Phew survival in our 1st season back and hopefully next year we can push on a bit

• Paid Members

Incredible final day of the season. I'm delighted that Barnsley survived to be honest. I don't really know why, but I seem to have developed some sort of affinity with them over the years. Must have been horrendously tense for their fans today, they were up, then down, then up, then down then eventually saved by a last minute winner at Palace. It was the same for Huddersfield too, each time Barnsley went up it put them in the drop zone.

I was hoping Watford would pull off a late win just to add to the drama of the day. The scenes at the KC Stadium were almost reminiscent of last weekend's drama at Brentford, with the penalty miss, followed by Cardiff going up the other end and scoring with a penalty of their own. Could you imagine if Watford had fucked Hull over after that happened?

Leicester City, who started the day just 11 points clear of the relegation zone, could be playing in the Premier League next year. What a ridiculously tight division. Peterborough have gone down with 15 wins on the board. That's more games than Liverpool have won this season.

Really pleased with my Sheffield Wednesday team finishing 18th and seeing them have a comfortable final day in the end.

Time to sort out a fair few contracts. I hope we don't make massive changes in the summer. I feel we made a few too many last pre-season.

I hope we can really learn from this season and develop. Fingers crossed we won't be involved in a relagation scrap next season.

Leicester City, who started the day just 11 points clear of the relegation zone, could be playing in the Premier League next year. What a ridiculously tight division. Peterborough have gone down with 15 wins on the board. That's more games than Liverpool have won this season.

Getting relegated on 54 points would be like getting relegated from the PL on 45.

There has to be an article out there called "How to get double-relegated like Wolves", they just won't learn! They stumble from blunder to blunder. They should have stuck with McCarthy or Solbakken or even Dean Saunders now. The chairman and upper management have fucked this up royally.

Sad to see Kenny Jackett gone, he's one of the good guys in football. However, he has to feel that he's taken this bunch as far as he can and walked as a result. From the sounds of it, the club wanted him to stay but couldn't change his mind. The way this season so completely fell apart shows the limitations to things at the Den. Berylson underwrites losses but they ultimately cannot bring in enough matchday revenue to compete at the top of the division. They have this transfer policy of getting young or unwanted top division players on loan and while it is keeping them in the division, they can't kick on. The Chris Wood situation summed things up perfectly in that they find a goalscorer, raise his value and ultimately end up doing themselves out of a good player as they get gazumped. Then again, the alternative doesn't necessarily work, as Peterborough have found out.

Archived