Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

As for Leigh Griffiths my Hibs supporting pals were under the impression his contract was due to expire but Wolves had an option they could pick up for another 12 months which i believe Saunders took up prior to his sacking? I am not sure if his departure would have any affect on that however. He's a bit of an arse but no denying an exciting player and definitely an asset who can win a match on his own. You could do a lot worse than giving a run in the team and then if it's not working out then he could always go back out on loan untill his contract expires.

Heard this too. But I don't think the option has been taken up yet. I did hear Griffiths went down to Wolves last week to speak to them. But no idea if they can even make a decision without a manager. Would absolutely love him to stay at Hibs though. His goal yesterday just proves how much talent he has. I really can't see him being happy with playing League 1 football tbh. He could stay with us, play in Europe (although just the 2 games, cause we'll most likely get hammered by some unknown side like always) and play for the club he clearly loves.

Not holding out any hope though, but I really hope he wins us the Scottish Cup before he leaves.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope there were a few Man Utd fans watching Zaha's performance tonight. He might take a while to settle in but that boy is magic.

I honestly couldn't see us getting past Brighton. We'd been on such a dreadful run, Brighton were going so well, especially at home, it seemed like a foregone conclusion. But Ollie got his tactics and selection spot on, and the players were tremendous.

Udinese 'B' are going to be hard to beat, though.

• Paid Members

Yeah that was the best I've seen from Zaha in a while. He was all over the place and was constantly trying to skin the defenders. The two goals were great in their own right. Only thing he'll need to work on is his strength and size, kind of like Ronaldo did a few years after he came to United.

The through ball to Williams where he shrugged off a blatant foul was class too. The problem he's had for a while is that he's not getting the ball in the right areas to hurt and challenge the opposition and, as such, he can't hook up with Bolasie on the opposite wing. If they can do that in the playoff final, they will win. I think if they get promoted, there may be another loanback next season.

What about the rest of the squad? Must be a lot of wages to dump there?

There isnt much of a squad left to be fair

Stead, Gerken, Bates, Howard, Mark Wilson and Lewis Carey have all been let go.

Skuse to Ipswich, Heaton to Burnley, Nyatanga possibly to Huddersfield, and Adomah and possibly Cunningham also off,

Leaves us with about 14-16 plus youth.

Del McInnes' claimed he had to cut wages by half, and So'D has come out and said that the retained players account for around 88% of an SCMP affected budget. I expect a few signings from lower, non league etc, but nothing substantial and certainly not what the fans expect.

Unless So'D can get the team to hit the ground running (his record at city thus far is actually abysmal, worse than that of Del McInnes!) I wouldn't bet against us just hovering above the relegation places next season. Many of our fans seem to have delusions of grandieur that we will walk it. However in 6 years a lot has changed in League One and I suspect we will continue our PNE like trajectory.

The positive of course is that we will have no choice but to play our young players, something we should have been doing for ages anyway, but haven't because basically our lot have been paralysed by the fear of relegation to do anything than to try and spend their way out the mess we are in, rather than look to see what is available within first. It's also why we have debts to Steve Lansdown of about 41m!

Fun times ahead!

• Paid Members
What about the rest of the squad? Must be a lot of wages to dump there?

There isnt much of a squad left to be fair

Stead, Gerken, Bates, Howard, Mark Wilson and Lewis Carey have all been let go.

Skuse to Ipswich, Heaton to Burnley, Nyatanga possibly to Huddersfield, and Adomah and possibly Cunningham also off,

Leaves us with about 14-16 plus youth.

Fun times ahead!

Albert is a lock to go, Nyatanga I can live without even with potential, but without Cunningham we. are. fucked.

I thought Baldock and Davies were apparently on obscene sums?

They were! There was a 50% reduction upon relegation, according to the boss/board. Though that may have all changed by next week. Couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery.

Well, he was improving year on year. In 10/11 he scored 12 in 30 in the league and then opened 11/12 with 4 in 4. His movement is good, he's quick, his record isn't terrible. I do think you were sold a pup.

Well, he was improving year on year. In 10/11 he scored 12 in 30 in the league and then opened 11/12 with 4 in 4. His movement is good, he's quick, his record isn't terrible. I do think you were sold a pup.

Might be worth seeing how he works on the side of a modern front 3, but that will never happen properly at our gaff. He ends up Far Right as per Pitman ended far left and unsurprisingly ends up not doing a great deal. If he could get composure in front of goal, then he would be an asset for anyone, he is way off that at present though

Might be worth seeing how he works on the side of a modern front 3, but that will never happen properly at our gaff. He ends up Far Right as per Pitman ended far left and unsurprisingly ends up not doing a great deal. If he could get composure in front of goal, then he would be an asset for anyone, he is way off that at present though

He can't even do that. MK Dons got good use out of him playing off Aaron Wilbraham or playing him up front on his own in a 4-3-3 where he just ran the channels and barely got a touch of it otherwise. When I was doing the journo thing, a lot of other journalists were impressed by his movement and pace. He's eminently coachable but the real issue is that his finishing isn't good enough at that level.

Archived