Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

Well, the Capital One Cup Fixtures are out so it marks a nice place to start a new seasons thread

Derby County v Scunthorpe United

Rochdale v Barnsley

Port Vale v Burnley

Notts County v Bradford City

Hull City v Rotherham United

Fleetwood Town v Nottingham Forest

Carlisle United v Accrington Stanley

Doncaster Rovers v York City

Crewe Alexandra v Hartlepool United

Bury v Middlesbrough

Chesterfield v Tranmere Rovers

Sheffield United v Burton Albion

Blackpool v Morecambe

Leeds United v Shrewsbury Town

Preston North End v Huddersfield Town

Oldham Athletic v Sheffield Wednesday

Cheltenham Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Ipswich Town v Bristol Rovers

Stevenage v AFC Wimbledon

Exeter City v Crystal Palace

Yeovil Town v Colchester United

Birmingham City v Barnet

Bristol City v Gillingham

Northampton Town v Cardiff City

Plymouth Argyle v Portsmouth

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Aldershot Town

Walsall v Brentford

Millwall v Crawley Town

Torquay United v Leicester City

Dagenham & Redbridge v Coventry City

Peterborough United v Southend United

Swindon Town v Brighton & Hove Albion

Watford v Wycombe Wanderers

Charlton Athletic v Leyton Orient

Oxford United v AFC Bournemouth

Ties will be played during the week commencing 13th August 2012. However, if mutually agreed, The League will consider requests to play on Saturday 11th or Sunday 12th August 2012.

Gillingham at home. Well again that will be a short lived campaign :)

EDIT Fantasy Footie Details

Set up the Fantasy League

http://fantasy.football-league.co.uk

League ID: 1697

You will need to re register more than likely

Good Luck

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you go to North End quite a bit then Pat? I used to go years ago, and usually make a cameo trip or two per season. I might be back to going regularly again next season though: our Liverpool supporters club has been cut (as I believe all of them have) so obtaining tickets to see them is going to be really problematic, which is why I used to semi follow North End about 6 or 7 years ago.

Do you go to North End quite a bit then Pat? I used to go years ago, and usually make a cameo trip or two per season. I might be back to going regularly again next season though: our Liverpool supporters club has been cut (as I believe all of them have) so obtaining tickets to see them is going to be really problematic, which is why I used to semi follow North End about 6 or 7 years ago.

I've not been for a bit myself, the prices are a bit steep for what it is

• Paid Members
Any idea why Wolves are playing in the 1st round and Blackburn and Bolton aren't?

It's normal practice for the club that finished bottom of the Premier League to be involved in the first round but the other 2 relegated clubs get byes to the second round. It didn't happen last season due to Birmingham qualifying for Europe so they had to change it around as clubs playing in Champions League and Europa League enter the Cup in the 3rd round, a preliminary round was held with a match between Crawley and AFC Wimbledon. 2 seasons ago Hull and Burnley received byes to the 2nd round following their relegation from the Premier League.

Not a great draw for Brighton, Swindon under Di Canio will be very tough and it's the kind of game we normally struggle in. It's also being shown live by Sky and we never play well on TV. Should be an interesting game with Poyet having started his coaching career as assistant to Dennis Wise at Swindon and a couple of our players were at Swindon a few seasons ago. Swindon are rumoured to be signing Alan Navarro who we've just released so there is an added element that he will know our style very well. Hopefully we will have enough about us to win the game though.

• Paid Members

Stand out first day fixture in the Championship is probably Burnley vs. Bolton. I'd imagine that and Leeds/Wolves will be televised.

We (Hull) have got Brighton H, Blackburn A & Charlton A to kick off. Pretty tough. Leicester & Leeds at home over Xmas week which will be ace. 8 sets of 2 consecutive away games which seems a bit excessive. Anyone elses fall similar?

• Paid Members

The Football League has rewarded our first victory against Forest away in 50+ years by booking the receipt on the first league day. My american sports adventures are going to cost me three home games (Leeds, Millwall and Hull), we are finally home on Boxing Day against Watford, both the Bolton and Blackburn games are all on Saturdays :) and we round out with a trip to the Valley on May 4th. Millwall Away is on New Year's Day but I fully expect Plod to wave their magic rescheduling hand on it.

We have 6 sets of double-Aways and double-homes. And it's pretty odd to have the League Cup 1st Round be the first actual competitive game in the season.

• Paid Members
We have 6 sets of double-Aways and double-homes. And it's pretty odd to have the League Cup 1st Round be the first actual competitive game in the season.

Yeah, that's because August 18th is a pretty late start. I heard the League Cup games were going to be the previous weekend which would be great.

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's because August 18th is a pretty late start. I heard the League Cup games were going to be the previous weekend which would be great.

Based on Pat's cup post that's not a given, but if enough clubs want that to happen then it shall.

• Paid Members
8 sets of 2 consecutive away games which seems a bit excessive. Anyone elses fall similar?

We've got 7 sets of double away fixtures (and 7 sets of doube home fixtures), the best being trips to Palace and Charlton on consecutive weekends in December, although I am not sure how likely the two games against Palace will remain Saturday 3pm fixtures. We start at Hull then have games against Cardiff and Barnsley. A boxing day home game against Millwall, when there will be less trains running, could be a travel nightmare. Think I'll drive to my Mums for that and the kids and other half can spend the afternoon with her while I go to the football.

I believe clubs can request to play their League Cup games on the weekend of the 11th. We won't be able to as the game against Swindon is already scheduled to be shown on Sky on Tuesday 14th.

So....I guess as a Bolton fan I may be popping up a bit in this thread this season now then.

Burnley away first game of the season. I'm happy with that, as I don't think Burnley are as good as they once were, but they will be well up for it with the return of Coyle (along with Eagles and Mears)

Any blackburn fans on here might be interested by this:

Blackburn's Indian owners Venky's have made former Malaysia defender Shebby Singh their director of football.

One of Singh's tasks will be to act as a go-between for the Venky's and Steve Kean, although the manager's future remains uncertain after relegation from the Barclays Premier League

Singh is unlikely to be short of things to say, having earned a reputation for his forthright views about the Premier League while working as a pundit for Asian TV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...r-football.html

Any blackburn fans on here might be interested by this:

Blackburn's Indian owners Venky's have made former Malaysia defender Shebby Singh their director of football.

One of Singh's tasks will be to act as a go-between for the Venky's and Steve Kean, although the manager's future remains uncertain after relegation from the Barclays Premier League

Singh is unlikely to be short of things to say, having earned a reputation for his forthright views about the Premier League while working as a pundit for Asian TV.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...r-football.html

No more trips to India for the drunkard then. Interesting. Are they distancing themselves from the whole mess I wonder? My Blackburn contact has long since disappeared, so have had nothing in the way of information as to what is going on there for a bit.

Archived