Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

Looks like Mido's stay in the Championship will be short, reported back for training way overweight, and knackered himself in warm up for a friendly today, is going to be out for at least 6 weeks maybe as long as half the season depending on how things heal, according to a Barnsley Fan on one of our forums.. Ooops

In other news we played a completely toothless and gutless Bristol Rovers team and won 3-0 our fans seem to think that we are World Beaters after tonking a team 2 leagues lower down. Beating Dunfermline, who are said by everyone to be gubbins 2-0 seems to have inflated this view.

In other news, despite not actually requiring a Right Back, as we have something daft like 5 players who can play there (Carey, Skuse, Foster, Wilson, Edwards). I think it's very likely we are going to sign Mark Wilson.

Seems that Del cant get the squad balanced either, but isnt getting any of the stick that Millen and others got for not balancing the squad.. grrr

http://www.fansfc.com/UploadedImages/Playe...81907343750.jpg - please tell me you don't mean this mark wilson? he was at walsall a little while last year i believe. Was officially the first person to get a photo with him there (fan wise) but he had a decent little showing. Didn't get to see much could do with him back here, but yeah i take it you are on about a different one though

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Looks like Mido's stay in the Championship will be short, reported back for training way overweight, and knackered himself in warm up for a friendly today, is going to be out for at least 6 weeks maybe as long as half the season depending on how things heal, according to a Barnsley Fan on one of our forums.. Ooops

In other news we played a completely toothless and gutless Bristol Rovers team and won 3-0 our fans seem to think that we are World Beaters after tonking a team 2 leagues lower down. Beating Dunfermline, who are said by everyone to be gubbins 2-0 seems to have inflated this view.

In other news, despite not actually requiring a Right Back, as we have something daft like 5 players who can play there (Carey, Skuse, Foster, Wilson, Edwards). I think it's very likely we are going to sign Mark Wilson.

Seems that Del cant get the squad balanced either, but isnt getting any of the stick that Millen and others got for not balancing the squad.. grrr

http://www.fansfc.com/UploadedImages/Playe...81907343750.jpg - please tell me you don't mean this mark wilson? he was at walsall a little while last year i believe. Was officially the first person to get a photo with him there (fan wise) but he had a decent little showing. Didn't get to see much could do with him back here, but yeah i take it you are on about a different one though

Pretty sure he's on about ex Celtic right back Mark Wilson

Thought it might have been when i noticed another player in google images haha, anyway final pre-season for Walsall today as we host West Bromwich Albion, not expecting a good result after previously losing to Burton Albion (and 3-0 to Wolves at home) but a bit of good news for Walsall is that we host an England Women's Euro Qualifier in September, its a wednesday and kick off is at 5pm

• Paid Members

In our penultimate friendly before the Gillingham game we take on Southampton at home tonight, attempting our fifth straight victory against the promoted Saints. I've heard they've been pretty poor pre-season but we've not looked a million either. A draw will do I think, as long as we beat Bournemouth on the weekend.

As far as Pompey's imminent reboot goes, The blame game is on.

Dani Ayala on a season loan to Forest. Good signing for them. Looked like a tidy defender for us last year in the few games he played, albeit a little clumsy & lacking in top flight experience.

Looks like forrest want simon cox but it all starts (kinda) on saturday for the capital one cup, Walsall got Brentford hopefully a good game with them at home (and losing 3-1) to west brom (could have been 3-2) if febian brandy scored a penalty, but anyway hoping for a good one.

Pretty sure he's on about ex Celtic right back Mark Wilson

Yup, I was on about Mark Wilson the ex Celtic Player.

Seems that Adomah may be off to Swansea, and Bolasie off to Crystal Palace, according to the local rag, which is never right, mostly.

I was there, the silly fat fuck. To be honest, he was always going to be overweight. He hadn't played competitive football since January. And he's a fat bastard generally. 6 weeks is the rumour around here, then we have to get him fit again. At least we're not paying him much, otherwise it would be a disaster.

--

It's prediction time then. League Cup on Saturday, then first round of matches the week after. Where do you reckon your respective clubs will finish. Here's mine:

Barnsley

Players In

Mido - Unnattached

Lee Collins -

Bellamy has signed for Cardiff

In terms of a preseason preview (transfers from Tiger Rick's thing on P1 of the transfers thread

Bristol City

IN:

Jody Morris (St. Johnstone) Free,

Greg Cunningham (Man Cit) 250k,

Paul Anderson (Forest) Free,

Tom Heaton (Cardiff) Free

RELEASED:

David James,

Jamie McAllister (Yeovil),

David Clarkson (Bristol R),

Jamal Campbell-Ryce (Notts Co),

Christian Ribeiro (Scunthorpe),

Marlon Jackson (Hereford),

Dan Ball,

Henry Muggeridge

After a not so good season last season, where a late rally saw us escape the jaws of relegation, with Donny and Pompey and Coventry being shit and imploding amongst others and the signing of Amougou on loan to help bolster our defence. We go into this season at a bit of a cross roads. Our signings on paper don't look all that. Only Cunningham, if he repeats his late season Forest form and doesnt go into 'McGivern' mode and Anderson really stands out, and that is if he can rekindle his form from when he originally signed for Forest. Jody Morris has been getting rave reviews on some of our forums, because he can pass and tackle. We have an abundance of midfielders that can do either/or, but not both. So clearly people are already lauding him as the next Paul Hartley, who really wasnt as good as every one remembers anyway. Tom Heaton is a meh signing, in so much as we could have gone with Gerken and our youth keeper and used emergency loans if needs be, as seeing as we are trying to fit FFP early, as we have to get down from a wages to turnover of around 132% to 60% by the end of last season.

The jury is still out on the manager. Some think that we now have the squad and the manager to do well. I have no idea what they are basing that on as for most of last season we were dreadful, when Mcinnes was in charge and we go into the new season, with many of the same players including the superstar that is Ricky Foster, who is a complete liability. The tactics were often wrong, our discipline went out of the window and McInnes' training regime saw many of the 1st team crocked with long term injuries. We went on a massive 13 game streak just after xmas where we played some of the most god awful football known to man, and even by the end of the season when we were picking up wins, things were still not great.

Tbh I'm not seeing where all the optimism is coming from. Our defence is so shaky it is unreal, this will be at least the 5th year this has gone unresolved and I fully expect some trouncings, unless a miracle happens and as yet we cannot score regularly in this league. It's been a major concern since we came up and still hasnt been fully sorted. I dont think we have scored more than about 60 goals of a season since we came up either.

The potential signing of Baldock, drags on and on and ariston and it will mean we right off most of the Maynard money to get him as well (we seemingly NEVER learn on transfers)

Best Case Scenario- Mid Table-and some players integrated for the future rather than being shoved out on loan all over the place. More than 1 cup game in each cup would be a bonus as well

Worst Case Scenario- Shit start to the season, Adomah gets sold, with no replacement. Dawdle on for a bit before McInnes resigns or gets sacked and we start all over again, in League 1

Key Man-Albert Adomah

Prediction- 16th-Relegated

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/footbal...-season-preview - League 2 season preview from bloggers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/footbal...-season-preview - League 1 season preview from bloggers

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/footbal...review-bloggers - Championship preview from bloggers

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/new...r-david-1228889 - live for the first time, FA Cup extra preliminary round, news here.

Okay, inspired by the posts above I'm going to do one about my club, Stevenage. I hope you don't mind and don't get bored! :p

Stevenage

Players In

Lucas Akins (Tranmere Rovers)

Steve Arnold (Wycombe Wanderers)

Matt Ball (Norwich City)

James Dunne (Exeter City)

Anthony Grant (Southend United)

David Gray (Preston North End)

Marcus Haber (St. Johnstone)

Lee Hills (Crystal Palace)

Filipe Morais (Oldham Athletic)

Bondz N'Gala (Yeovil Town)

Greg Tansey (Inverness Caledonian Thistle)

Players Out

Chris Beardsley (Preston North End)

Michael Bostwick (Peterborough United)

Joel Byrom (Preston North End)

Phil Edwards (Rochdale)

Ronnie Henry (Luton Town)

Alan Julian (Newport County)

Scott Laird (Preston North End)

Stacy Long (AFC Wimbledon)

John Mousinho (Preston North End)

Darren Murphy (Port Vale)

Jennison Myrie-Williams (Port Vale)

Craig Reid (Aldershot Town)

Lawrie Wilson (Charlton Athletic)

Peter Winn (Macclesfield Town)

There is a genuine concern that our adventure may be over. After finally exorcising the demons of 1996, when we won the Conference but were denied promotion by the FA, we had shaken the reputation as the non-leagues perennial also-rans and edged out Luton Town and Oxford United to become 2009-10's Conference champions. Mid-table mediocrity was expected in our debut season in the Football League, and this looked to be the case up until mid-February, when a run of form that saw us win nine games out of eleven (including six wins in a row) meant we took the last play-off place on the final day of the season. Victories over Accrington Stanley and Torquay United confirmed consecutive promotions, and we were into League One. Nobody expected anything from the Boro in League One, where we were invariably placed among the bottom four in the predictions of fans and journalists alike. However, by January we had recorded victories over Sheffield's United and Wednesday and ended Charlton Athletic's undefeated streak, and we proudly sat in the play-off places yet again.

Graham Westley's mid-season departure to Preston North End caused problems, and under his replacement Gary Smith we retained our tough defence but seemed to lose our edge in front of goal, and we would draw nine out of eleven games at the business end of the season, dropping out of the promotion race. A tremendous run of form at the end of the season saw us yet again take the final play-off spot in a tense last day, but an unprecedented third promotion was not to be, as a narrow 1-0 aggregate loss to Sheffield United saw our tremendous season end. And as expected, this would signal the end of the most successful period of our history, as the vast majority of the players that brought us this success moved onto pastures new, many to rejoin Westley in Preston. And now, only six of last seasons' squad remain at the Lamex Stadium. A plethora of comings and goings mean that Stevenage's 2012-13 season is impossible to predict.

BEST CASE SCENARIO: That our vastly different squad means we retain the "element of surprise" that has helped us so much in the past few seasons and yet again we shock a few people by finishing closer to the top than the bottom. A second successful season in this division should be enough to solidify our status as a proper League One side, and our reputation and attendances should rise to reflect this.

WORST CASE SCENARIO: The new players fail to gel, leaving our centre-back pairing who were the spine of our recent success, Mark Roberts and Jon Ashton, to grow frustrated and move on in January, following Luke Freeman who moves up to the Championship. The fans, spoilt for success, turn on Gary Smith and we finish the season in complete disarray, with relegation confirmed by April.

KEY MAN: Luke Freeman. I was as shocked as anyone when he signed for us permanently, as it was announced whilst Westley was finalising his move to Preston, and following a loan spell where he already looked too good for League One. His tremendous season has quickly made him a favourite, not just in the club but in the league, and some rumours even claimed that Everton wanted to bring him back to the Premier League.

PREDICTION: As I said before, impossible to say, but I'd be content with a midtable finish and absolutely no involvement in the relegation battle at any point.

• Paid Members

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club

Players In

Bjorn Bergman Sigurdarson - Undisclosed (approx 2mil) - Lillestrom

Frank Nouble - Free - West Ham

Slawomir Peszko - Season Long Loan (View to Permanent Deal) - Cologne

Tongo Doumbia - Season Long Loan (View to Permanent Deal) - Rennes

Jamie Tank - Undisclosed - Walsall

Players Out

Adlene Guedioura -

Archived