Championship and Lower League Thread 2012/13

patiirc

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the Texaco, now Phones 4 U Fantasy League, been running for about 3 seasons. Not a bad little game to be fair.

Anyone fill me in on Sam Baldock, other than him scoring loads for MK Dons and a lacklustre season for WHU last time about I know faff all about him. Worth

I'm in.

Baldock has shown decent stuff for West Ham. Problem was, he got injured and then Nicky Maynard got signed. Strange player, who either needs to get fed as a goalscorer in a 4-5-1 or needs to play off a big man in a 4-4-2,

I'm in.

Baldock has shown decent stuff for West Ham. Problem was, he got injured and then Nicky Maynard got signed. Strange player, who either needs to get fed as a goalscorer in a 4-5-1 or needs to play off a big man in a 4-4-2,

We played 4-5-1 much of last season, so that's a bonus. Cant create for toffee though which is why Maynard went. Big man in a 4-4-2 assume that would be Stead, however us and 4-4-2 dont actually work in the Champs and we get obliterated much of the time we use it.

Interesting nonetheless.

I can't see Baldock being a decent fit for Bristol City. The word coming out of Charlton when he was in negotiations with them is that he wants more money than he's on currently. I can't see this working at all for City.

I can't see Baldock being a decent fit for Bristol City. The word coming out of Charlton when he was in negotiations with them is that he wants more money than he's on currently. I can't see this working at all for City.

Well that's good as I dont particularly want him at the price's quoted anyway, effectively you would be up on the Maynard deal and we would have a player with potential and nothing else, something that we seem to beat out of everyone if they come and play here.

Iam really worried for us this season, we were shit for most of the last campaign, our signings have largely been like for like, or in the case of Morris, shite for like replacements and only Cunningham and Anderson could come good. We didnt really need another winger though and seem to be creating yet another unbalanced and largely shit squad full of journeymen (in general).

In the two friendlies we have had to date, because, we started, late, which again is also a worry, the same old problems at the back remain despite the personnel changes and with the prospect of signing Marc Wilson despite having at least 4 players who can play right back, means that yet again we are pissing money away in the wrong positions.

3 or 4 managers have been through the club and a decent CB, attacking mid have been priorities as well as some defence coaching in holding shape position and sorting out concentration. Heck we cant even work out what to do with Brett Pitman, so god knows what we would be like if we signed yet another striker @/

Millen got completely villified for his first season in charge, McInnes has arguably been worse in terms of on pitch performance, yet the sun shines out of his arse according to many. I worry and think we are good odds to get relegated

I don't think anybody's transfer business is sorted as yet. Eventhough I'm not covering them this season, I still follow a lot of the Palace journalists and the consensus is that they may lose another player before they can start seriously recruiting. It's getting to the point where the Championship is two divisions of 12, where one half can get into the top half but never seriously challenge.

I don't think anybody's transfer business is sorted as yet. Eventhough I'm not covering them this season, I still follow a lot of the Palace journalists and the consensus is that they may lose another player before they can start seriously recruiting. It's getting to the point where the Championship is two divisions of 12, where one half can get into the top half but never seriously challenge.

Have Palace still got Dumbuya on their radar?

The way i see it for Walsall is another lack luster season finishing either just above relegation or even in relegation this season. However i hope they don't. We signed Jimmy Walker back on a player/coach deal. David Grof remains there, lost quite a lot of players including Manny Smith who we could have done with to pair with Andy Butler. Signed Febian Brandy who seems a decent little player, Ashley Hemmings joined us from the Wolves. Got quite a lot of local former youth players signing and our own youth. But what we need is a bit more experience in the side. Kick off the season against Doncaster which i don't see being a good match for us (even though i read through this and it seems they don't have players). Got cup match against Brentford... hope it goes well for us

Kick off the season against Doncaster which i don't see being a good match for us (even though i read through this and it seems they don't have players). Got cup match against Brentford... hope it goes well for us

You are right there and we have lost 2 of our best players with a third set to leave (and no, not the experiment primma donnas either) in the last week. George Friend has gone to Middlesboro, James O'Connor has gone to Derby and I expect Brian Stock to go to Burnley before the season starts. Never before has squeaky bum time come before the season has even kicked off... until now!

Stevenage fan right here, and this could be a difficult season. We've lost most of our first-teamers and have an entirely new squad. It could help us like it did last year in the way of being massive underestimated, which helped us reach the L1 play-offs despite being touted as certainties for relegation, but we'll see. So far we still have important players like Mark Roberts, Jon Ashton, Luke Freeman and Chris Day but who knows what's round the corner?

Due to the fact you wear red and white and kind of hate Newcastle a bit, I've always had a soft spot for Stevenage, and as a result of a Manager Mode FIFA 10 game that goes on to this day, I like to keep an eye on the team. Mark Roberts was always a fucking demon for me at the back, but have you no longer got Bostwick and Mousinho? Those two were fucking amazing on the game, being the best players in a team I managed to take to the Premier League. Were they half as good in real life?

Haha, I assume you're Sunderland?

All three were indeed great players. Mark Roberts is our captain, and due to being our leader through our last few years of success, plus his tremendous work ethic and fan-friendly attitude he's pretty much accepted by fans as our greatest ever player (granted we were only formed in 1976, but we have had players such as Steve Morison, George Boyd, Efe Sodje and Barry Hayles on our books as well). John Mousinho was great in midfield for us but was injured for a large portion of last season and has just gone off on a Bosman to join our old manager Graham Westley at Preston.

Bostwick has indeed left too, but he was every bit as tremendous as he was in your game and had, to be honest, outgrown us. I'm surprised he only went to Peterborough (no disrespect) as a move to West Ham had been on the cards, but we got just short

Looks like Mido's stay in the Championship will be short, reported back for training way overweight, and knackered himself in warm up for a friendly today, is going to be out for at least 6 weeks maybe as long as half the season depending on how things heal, according to a Barnsley Fan on one of our forums.. Ooops

In other news we played a completely toothless and gutless Bristol Rovers team and won 3-0 our fans seem to think that we are World Beaters after tonking a team 2 leagues lower down. Beating Dunfermline, who are said by everyone to be gubbins 2-0 seems to have inflated this view.

In other news, despite not actually requiring a Right Back, as we have something daft like 5 players who can play there (Carey, Skuse, Foster, Wilson, Edwards). I think it's very likely we are going to sign Mark Wilson.

Seems that Del cant get the squad balanced either, but isnt getting any of the stick that Millen and others got for not balancing the squad.. grrr

Archived