The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

Got all my paperwork through for the new job recently, (dont start until October 5th), my only thought is this:

I have an anxiety disorder. I'm on medication for it, and its all good, haven't been off in some time etc. And this paper work asks about medical history etc. If I'm to tell them about it.......could they potentially rescind the position or something? 

Got all my paperwork through for the new job recently, (dont start until October 5th), my only thought is this:

I have an anxiety disorder. I'm on medication for it, and its all good, haven't been off in some time etc. And this paper work asks about medical history etc. If I'm to tell them about it.......could they potentially rescind the position or something? 

I don't think so as it could be classed as discrimination. Although it depends of course what the job is and involves.

Its IT support, so its not like high stress or anything, and even then my anxiety issues don't seem to be dependent on any circumstances/stress issues or anything, it appears to be me generally. (I'm sure there is a "trigger" or whatever, but so far we haven't found one). And whilst I'm on the medication, I've had no issues.

I did presume about the "discrimination" stuff, so I think its more for their records rather than "whats wrong with you, we only want 100% healthy people here" hah.

Congratulations Gus, I went to Bath for the first time last week. Lovely place.

I really really hate my job, it's depressing and stressful and I start to get anxious about having to go in on Monday on Saturday's, I think the stress is making my hair fall out too.

I moved to the Midlands in October of 2015, I had a temporary job with Walsall council till Christmas and then moved to a permanent job with Birmingham City Council in January and have been in that jon for 9 moths now, I'm worried that the two changes of jobs in such a short time is going to put employers off. There aren't a lot of jobs in my field and I've applied for 3 recently that I am well qualified for, have all the relevant experience but I've not had any interviews, I've struggled to get feedback, and I'm wondering if maybe my quick changes are putting them off? In my roles previous to moving to the Midlands I was with those employers for 5 years at one place, and 6 at the other.

My other half has done that, and says to watch out for the online courses as they aren't worth anything and most schools don't accept them.

Make sure the qualification she gets is either TESOL (Trinity) or CELTA (Cambridge). Those two are what 99% of schools ask for.

One of my friends did a TEFL course and had work lined up in China. He flew from Glasgow to London, to Dubai, to Bangkok, and when he tried to get on the plane to China found out he only had a visa application, not an actual visa. Rather than stay in the British embassy for a few days while they got things sorted he came home and got his old job back.

It's not particularly relevant experience, but that's my experience with TEFL.

Edited by Juan Manforce

• Paid Members

Congratulations Gus, that is fantastic news.

Although now you work in politics it's mandatory for us all to hate you sadly.

Feel free to pm me calling me a pleb, or just let me claim that you did in paid. Whatever works for you.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

I would love to get this. I miss working in politics a hell of a lot. I can pretty much feel my brain atrophying in local government.

you've just got almody tbe exact job I want and for the exact reason (even down o beain atrophying local government). Please say youre me from he future