The Why Don't You Get a Job Thread

kendal mint cake

I had an interview a couple of weeks ago with a council. I got a phonecall from the Head of Service the following day explaining that it had been really competitive, that they had narrowed it down to me and another candidate and had been blown away by my interview but for whatever reason they had decided to appoint the other candidate and she had accepted the post. 

She then said that they were in the process of applying for funding for a second post (same job, same pay etc) and that they had been given the thumbs up to do so but nothing official has come through yet, but they would like to offer me that post (they had also mentioned in the interview that they were seeking funding for another post). I accepted and the Head of Service said they would be back in contact in a week or so. Two weeks have now passed, I called her yesterday and left an answerphone message asking if there were any updates but I've still not heard anything. Do I chase it further or do I assume that they didn't get the funding/have changed their minds about offering it to me?

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I had an interview a couple of weeks ago with a council. I got a phonecall from the Head of Service the following day explaining that it had been really competitive, that they had narrowed it down to me and another candidate and had been blown away by my interview but for whatever reason they had decided to appoint the other candidate and she had accepted the post. 

She then said that they were in the process of applying for funding for a second post (same job, same pay etc) and that they had been given the thumbs up to do so but nothing official has come through yet, but they would like to offer me that post (they had also mentioned in the interview that they were seeking funding for another post). I accepted and the Head of Service said they would be back in contact in a week or so. Two weeks have now passed, I called her yesterday and left an answerphone message asking if there were any updates but I've still not heard anything. Do I chase it further or do I assume that they didn't get the funding/have changed their minds about offering it to me?

It wouldn't hurt to follow up. One thing to bear in mind is that councils can be quite inefficient or slow-moving, especially during times of economic downturn like now. You might need to give them a boot up the arse to get any kind of movement. They might have changed their minds, but try to exhaust the possibility that they've just been slow off the mark in getting back to you first.

I know they can be slow which is why I didn't worry too much when I didn't hear anything last week. I don't want to bug them but at the same time, I'm desperate to get out of where I am now and the money is so much better.... I will have a 1 hour commute to work but it'll be better than working here

On 2/26/2019 at 12:53 PM, Loki said:

Often if they don't get back to you, it's because they don't have an answer one way or the other!  So they put off contacting you.

Yeah I get that, it just leaves me in limbo a little and I'm unsure what to do. Do I continue to apply for other jobs? I've got a few issues with my school which the Head and I had a brief discussion about addressing - mostly about training and development which would in his eyes would tie me to the school for the foreseeable future and because I don't know where I stand I've put off speaking to him and I don't want to miss the boat with that opportunity.  It's all making me anxious. An update of 'we are still waiting' would be better than no update at all. 

17 hours ago, deathrey said:

Yeah I get that, it just leaves me in limbo a little and I'm unsure what to do. Do I continue to apply for other jobs? I've got a few issues with my school which the Head and I had a brief discussion about addressing - mostly about training and development which would in his eyes would tie me to the school for the foreseeable future and because I don't know where I stand I've put off speaking to him and I don't want to miss the boat with that opportunity.  It's all making me anxious. An update of 'we are still waiting' would be better than no update at all. 

Personally, I'd proceed as if you've been told you're not getting the job. Better to have to deal with the situation of leaving in a month or so, than risk your current situation.

• Paid Members

Had my references confirmed (which was quite daunting as it meant my boss knew I was planning to leave after the summer but was totally on board with the idea of me going into teaching) and booked my key skills test for the same day I was already in Bristol (timing!) and sent everything off through UCAS. Now we wait, and pray a little, mainly wait though.

• Paid Members

I went into work today and got let go for budget issues. As of Wednesday I will be unemployed. Where do I go from here? 

I haven't signed on for about 12 years and have no idea how to go about it any more, or what options are available to me. A little help would be lovely please!

Sorry to hear that, Lips. It's Universal Credit now which is supposed to be all the previous benefits rolled into one. One of the downsides is that it's paid monthly although at your first appointment you can get an upfront loan of about £300.

I think you apply online first and then you'll be given an appointment from there. From personal experience, it's a better set up now in that you have an online journal to keep in contact with them rather than having to spend an hour on the phone to try and get through to them. 

Housing benefit is sorted through the same process and is paid directly to yourself.

Having said that, I've been in rehab the past few month hence having to claim it so I can appreciate that it may not work well for others. 

I mentioned about eight months ago I was leaving my job for another. In the end, I didn't, because my work promoted me and matched the wage.

Now though, I am leaving. The fallout from an affair, plus a general shitty atmosphere, led to me looking at what else was out there. I found a job at 9pm one night, deadline was midnight. I got the application in, did a group assessment, got called back for an interview, and they offered me the job the next day. This is my last week at my current job, after four years there. Never stayed in an office more than a few months before. Sad to be leaving, but it must be done.

As for the new job, about 90% of what I said in the interview was blagging based on some training I've had and bits and pieces I've heard from other people. I've got a six month probation period, and surely I'll get found out in that time. Maybe I'll pick it up on the job. I don't even know if I'm working nine to five or flexitime or what, but I know that the first three days of a sickness period are unpaid. So that's rubbish. Significantly better money though.