Deathmatch interest thread

Richie Freebird

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

Yeah Wifebeater broke one of their top workers necks with a chokenstein off the apron onto one of the ridiculously stiff Jap tables.

I think the basics of it were that Zandig bullshitted BJPW telling them that CZW was this big deathmatch promotion with weekly PPVs and sell out crowds etc. when the truth was the complete opposite. BJPW beleived it, brought over a load of the CZW guys and spent months putting them over all of BJPW's biggest stars in some pretty poor quality matches. Then Zandig and BJPW had a big falling out regarding money and Zandig ended up shooting on the company on a live show and the whole CZW crew fucked off for good and even took the BJPW Jnr. Heavyweight title (Trent Acid held it at the time) with them, the cheeky fuckers. So BJPW was left with a roster that for the past 6 or so months had jobbed out all it's biggest stars to CZW guys in crappy matches and business was down the toilet for years because of it.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

That's a mental story, can't believe Zandig worked them like that, surely they could've done a bit of research and seen that CZW wasn't everything he said it was?

How come the matches weren't even good? Thought at least a few interesting bouts would be the legacy of a weird partnership like that.

• Paid Members

The matches weren't that good because all the CZW guys were terrible at that point.

Zandig can have good 'Zandig' match which worked fine when he was a special attraction from 2001 onwards but when he was a regular he was pretty awful most the time. Wifebeater has never really had any good matches. Justice Pain was about 21 years old or something and was the shits (and outside his brawls with Necro & Toby and a couple of matches in 2000 and 2001 always has been the shits). Let's not forget Lobo who is probably the worst of the original CZW roster and that's saying something.

Those were the main guys they took over, sometimes they would bring Ric Blade, Trent Acid, Ruckus or one of those other flippy floppy indy dickheads with them.

It's really no suprise the matches sucked ass.

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing a deathmatch with a roll up really shows how unbelievably clueless these type of people truly are when it comes to professional wrestling and telling a story in the ring. If you could some up this whole entire idiocy in one moment then there you have it.

• Paid Members

Exactly. It's not just the fact they can't actually work, they actually don't understand how to structure a match. But the people watching deathmatches hardly care about this kind of thing.

Edited by Gladstone Small

Exactly. It's not just the fact they can't actually work, they actually don't understand how to structure a match. But the people watching deathmatches hardly care about this kind of thing.

The bit in bold isnt strictly true. A lot of the Japanese deathmatch workers especially know how to structure a match ie they build up to the big spots and bumps. Necro Butcher can as well IMO, maybe not in a deathmatch setting but when you take him out of it he can structure a match which is evident if you watch his matches against the likes of Samoa Joe. Also Terry Funk worked deathmatches......

• Paid Members

A lot of us deathmatch wrestling fans don't really care about story telling, we are mainly interested in seeing the bumps and how far they will go. How far they push the envelope shall we say.

BUT story telling can happen in a deathmatch, just watch the Jun Kasai vs Ryuji Ito razorboard deathmatch from BJPW in 09.

Richie, I know he retired but what's Thumbtack Jack up too?? Just wondering as I was watching TOD 8 earlier and seeing all his bumps with cinder blocks and stunts with syringes it was obvious he was never going to have a long career. However I remember watching a documentary on him a while back and he seemed an intelligent enough bloke to have something to fall back on. So does he or is he just doing nothing with himself now??

• Paid Members

what documentary? any links on that?

actually does anyone now what alot of the original CZW/XPW deathmatch guys are upto these days. Ive said before i was a big mark for all that shit when i was younger and it seems that pretty much all of em have stopped wrestling now (which is understandable). Any word? the only guy ive heard of after the deathmatch stint was Nick Mondo.

actually does anyone now what alot of the original CZW/XPW deathmatch guys are upto these days. Ive said before i was a big mark for all that shit when i was younger and it seems that pretty much all of em have stopped wrestling now (which is understandable). Any word? the only guy ive heard of after the deathmatch stint was Nick Mondo.

I dont have any links sadly. I downloaded it from a wrestling torrent site a few years ago and the site isnt there anymore. If I remember rightly the documentary was called cutting deep though. Had a quick look on youtube but cant see anything there.

What have you heard about Mondo? I was a massive mark for the guy and stopped watching CZW altogether when he quit the business. I know he was into his film making but haven't heard about anything he has done since 'Unscarred'. :sneaky: