Deathmatch interest thread

Richie Freebird

Richie, I know he retired but what's Thumbtack Jack up too?? Just wondering as I was watching TOD 8 earlier and seeing all his bumps with cinder blocks and stunts with syringes it was obvious he was never going to have a long career. However I remember watching a documentary on him a while back and he seemed an intelligent enough bloke to have something to fall back on. So does he or is he just doing nothing with himself now??

I saw on his Twitter that he's gonna be having surgery and he's looking to do some MMA training.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What i know about the CZW/XPW dm guys

MEXPW has used many XPW Alumni including: Johnny Webb, Messiah, Supreme and Kaos. The company can be found here: http://www.mexpw.com/

The CZW guys is a mixed bag:

Nate Hatred i know was in The Wrestler

Nick Gage is still serving that 5 year sentence he got for armed robbery. He is eligible for parole in 2015.

Justice Pain fell off the radar after joining PWU

Zandig appeared at the last CZW show at the arena (see the deathmatch thread)

Pondo and Necro still work for JCW, alongside 2 Tuff Tony and Corp. Robinson among others

Most of those are known i would think

• Paid Members

I have enjoyed plenty of deathmatches over my time, while at the same time thinking a great amount more are shite. The thing is that the key elements that make a good match are the same in whatever style or type of wrestling you watch. If they aren't there, then it's likely that the match will be a bag of wank.

If you can understand the personalities involved, what they are fighting for and what it means to win, and the match is structured in such a way to tell a story of drama, tension, risk and triumph, then a deathmatch can be just as engaging, rewarding and enjoyable as any other match.

If it is just 2 plain knobheads going around twatting each other with random nasty objects and going from sick spot to sick spot to see how violent and 'hardcore' they can be, then the match is going to be cack. It's the same as two charisma-free spotty guys doing ridiculous flips, flops and flashy moves with no rhyme, reason or structure - it's going to suck.

There was a great quote on here from someone a while ago that perfectly sums up my thoughts on the whole deathmatch scene, which went something like:

"150 people paid to see Nick Gage fall into a pile of barbed wire. 30,000 people paid to see Atsushi Onita try not to fall into a pile of barbed wire."

Richie, I know he retired but what's Thumbtack Jack up too??

I think he still turns up at wXw shows and cuts the odd promo. He was definitely there for the ToD vs Gorefest show they had out in Germany. It appears he

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

got a free night tonight and im lacking funds to go out so im gonna settle in and go all nostalgia on myself, i'm going to watch Tournament of Death 8 (picked 8 because i wanna see what Thumbtack Jack is all about). I the last death match tournament i watch was TOD 3.

had to go for Cage of Death 5 in the end, i haven't got 8! (thought i did).

I love the main event so much. The Cage of Death set-up is crazy. There's also the Cash/Joker ladder match which is alot of fun with a crazy ending.

• Moderators

It's pretty dull when you're there. I've never been to that kind of show and not left at intermission.

If you went to the circus and they just shot a man out of a cannon again and again and again, you'd soon get bored.

Has anyone else watched the most recent Cage of Death show? I thought the Cage of Death match itself was excellent, although not as many big bumps as they've had in previous years it was still a fantastic match. The other decent matches from the show were Jake Crist vs Dave Crist, the 2 out of 3 tables match, Matt Tremont vs Danny Havoc (with a really sick spot where Tremont seemed to impale his heel on one of the beds of nails!!) but the real show stealer had to be AR Fox vs Sami Cailihan. The only real let down from the show was Joker & Sabian vs Homicide & Kingston. I think 5 years ago this match would have been the shows highlight, but unfortunatly these 4 didnt put on a show like they used too. Although saying that Joker vs Kingston at An Excellent Adventure was a good match.

Overall though a brilliant show definitely one of the best Cage of Deaths there has been

• 1 month later...