Deathmatch interest thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

I'm really not sure what else they can do. I mean, they've used pits of syringes and saws and knives and chairs gimmicked with razor blades. What's the betting that at some point in the next couple of years that some retard agrees to take a proper gunshot?

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not sure what else they can do. I mean, they've used pits of syringes and saws and knives and chairs gimmicked with razor blades. What's the betting that at some point in the next couple of years that some retard agrees to take a proper gunshot?

They haven

Edited by Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
How about people who follow the promotion and want to see the conclusion and continuation of feuds and story lines at one of the promotions most famous annual shows? What’s the point even coming into the thread to post ignorant shit like that? The slating of the deathmatch scene and it’s fans is more boring than the detractors claim the matches themselves are.

The audience they attract don't give a fuck about that shit. Its obvious. And if anyone does, its not a significant amount. Whether its heel or face, they cheer or laugh when a weapon is bashed off someones head. There's no emotional attachment or anything. And at the end, they scrape these wrestlers off the mat and send a bunch of other lowly paid no talent sadists out to scar themselves up for the "LOLs". Whats ignorant is anyone who thinks death match wrestling has any storyline merit at all. The storylines aren't to build to a conclusion. The storylines are there as more or less a waiting game until they get to these daft Tournaments of Death. Its aimed at a small blood thirsty market. That's what they are selling. Blood and guts.

Thats not me slating it. Thats just how it is. If you like it fine. But the market its aimed at. It all looks fake anyway. There looks like more co-operation going on that your average squash match.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

The audience they attract don't give a fuck about that shit. Its obvious. And if anyone does, its not a significant amount. Whether its heel or face, they cheer or laugh when a weapon is bashed off someones head. There's no emotional attachment or anything. And at the end, they scrape these wrestlers off the mat and send a bunch of other lowly paid no talent sadists out to scar themselves up for the "LOLs". Whats ignorant is anyone who thinks death match wrestling has any storyline merit at all. The storylines aren't to build to a conclusion. The storylines are there as more or less a waiting game until they get to these daft Tournaments of Death. Its aimed at a small blood thirsty market. That's what they are selling. Blood and guts.

Thats not me slating it. Thats just how it is. If you like it fine. But the market its aimed at. It all looks fake anyway. There looks like more co-operation going on that your average squash match.

Fair enough, those are reasonable criticisms of the style I suppose. I don

• Paid Members

Is there, though? It just seems like the same old ultra-violent circle-jerk going on year after year. Ropey looking hobos dropping each other head first on concrete blocks, twatting each other with light bulbs, sticking needles through their faces and stapling dollar bills to their knackers.

I mean, clearly I don't pay nearly as much attention to this stuff as you do, Richie, but it does seem as though it must have hit a brick wall. It's not like normal wrestling where, match-wise, the wall was hit many years ago and it's just a case of shuffling the pack effectively and attempting to package in a unique and interesting way. It's a sub-genre that thrives on seeing how much further it can be taken. And that really is it. SURELY it has hit that wall when some mental likes having metal pins smacked into his skull? Or is the wall positioned somewhere around the point where someone actually dies doing this stuff?

You may well say that TOD has matches that are pay-offs to long-standing storylines and feuds but in reality the crowds, such as they are, would not dwindle one iota if said storylines were not bothered with at all and you just stuck a bunch of the usual suspects on the line-up and announced the stipulations. I actually don't think there's all that much wrong with just admitting you're watching it to see some simpletons maul each other, but I would question any attempts to legitimise this stuff by bringing meaningful storylines into it.

• Paid Members
How about people who follow the promotion and want to see the conclusion and continuation of feuds and story lines at one of the promotions most famous annual shows? What

As far as writing off the storylines in a tod, you can make the same arguments re the royal rumble to a degree. It's a spectacle, people enjoy the spots, people will have favourites they cheer and stuff will intwine into it from previous stories, but you can make an argument alot are just there to see the cool stuff happen.

What's the attendances like for czw these days? TOD and other events as well, have they dropped off significantly since a peak a while ago? Or are they still pulling in similar numbers.

I think the biggest ever attendance was when they packed out the former ECW arena for Cage of Death 3, years ago. The arena stopped hosting wrestling of all forms earlier this year, so they are now promoting shows across a few different venues. It depends where they go really, if they venture too far from the Philly / New Jersey area they don