• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CZW Tournament of Death XI Final

Masada vs Drake Younger

tod2-4.jpg

tod3-4.jpg

Well, its final time, so it was off with the ropes and up with the barbed wire as the sun began to set in Delaware.

tod1-4.jpg

DJ Hyde came out to the ring and declared Masada unable to compete in the final due to the heavy duty wound he sustained to his arm when forearming the glass sheet through in his bout with Kobayashi. Fair enough - it looked dreadful. Masada and Drake had other ideas though; both wanted the match to go ahead despite numerous people pleading with Masada to walk away. This was brilliant, it had me legitimately wondering just how much was staged. Masada

It was much better than last year's effort, which I expected to be good, but wound up only having one match that I enjoyed. Didn't like the final much, but pretty much everything else entertained me on the show. The non-tourney match was a complete mess though, kept amusing by Slater constantly getting his neck fucked up.

So yeah, enjoyed that.

Downloaded this show and am making my way through it. Im not a regular watcher of these shows, and havent seen a full deathmatch show for years, so was suprised about the atmosphere at TOD XI. The crowd are super harsh and blood-thirsty, and pretty much treat the wrestlers as jesters. Take that Nick Mondo clone, for example. No matter what crazy shit he took during his match, the crowd were essentially laughing AT him throughout. Must take a strange person to take a load of crazy bumps for zero reaction.

Same deal with the first non tourney match. That one guy gets belly to belly suplexed from the ring onto chairs set up on the floor, whacks the back of his head on a metal frame, then gets a thumbtack covered lantern smashed over his head. All of this sequence generated a few 'ohhhs', then you can clearly hear a guy in the crowd say "hit him harder". 30 seconds later he has a thumbtack bat smashed on his back, to zero reaction. The crowd go back to heckling them at this point. Pretty crazy, and Im sure it wasnt this sort of atmosphere during the old TODs I used to watch.

Remember an interview with necro butcher on the difference between iwa and czw fans. Something along the lines of IWA fans liked watching sick stuff but hoped no-one got badly fucked up. Whereas the czw boys bought their ticket desperate to see someone get properly fucked up.

Tough crowd to work, it would appear.

Take that Nick Mondo clone, for example. No matter what crazy shit he took during his match, the crowd were essentially laughing AT him throughout. Must take a strange person to take a load of crazy bumps for zero reaction.

Little Mondo is a bit of a special case with the CZW fans. Apparently he acted like a tit at BJW in Japan and almost cost CZW the working relationship with them. Since then the crowd have really been calling for his head at every show, which seems strange because a lot of the time he

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more from round 1 of the Carnage Cup 2012...

Freakshow vs Travis Locke

The rain had started to pour in Alabama as the Deep South champion and deathmath veteran Freakshow came out to face Locke in this variously weaponed contest. There were noticeable puddles on the ring canvas and amongst the gravel at ringside. I wouldn