Podcast Recommendations

Joey Joe Joe Jr

• Members
1 minute ago, waters44 said:

they talk about movies I’ve never seen

Every episode I think "I must write these all down and try and watch them" and rarely do, and they never ever list the films they discuss anywhere so its really annoying.

2 minutes ago, waters44 said:

They did a big episode with Tarantino which was really good.

He's been on a number of times, which I think made him want to start his own one.

I do like it when they focus on something or someone in particular rather than just the random 5 picks they do.

The sports film focused one was the inspiration for one of the many shit threads I started on here :)

The Lady Killers has been my film podcast of choice recently, a really good group of girls and one guy going over women that kill in film with each week focusing on a different movie and if the killing can be justified etc. It mostly just ends up with them being horny for someone in the film but I'm not complaining.

• Paid Members

My friend is a qualified dog trainer with lots of letters after her name because of all the qualifications she has, and has started a podcast. It's called Dog Gone Wrong with Sarah Roper, The Multidog Maven. She tells stories about her experience with her dogs, but also interviews her peers about their experiences and how they got to where they are nowadays. It's along the lines of "don't worry if you're struggling with your dog/s, as even we did." it's only about 5 episodes in, but they're a decent listen. 

• 1 month later...

Our very own @BomberPat was a bit too modest to post this in here, but he's started an excellent podcast called Bunkum & Ballyhoo, sharing short bites of real-life stories, with the first episode looking at the grim story of South African wrestler The Masked Marvel. I really enjoyed it, and highly recommend that you check it out. I've posted it here rather than the pro wrestling podcast thread as I have a few other recommendations. 

Who Trolled Amber? - a superb podcast from Tortoise media (I'd recommend any of their investigative podcasts, actually) looking at bot armies, through the lens of the Amber Heard/Johnny Depp case. It's fascinating, grim and takes a few unexpected twists and turns so I don't want to day too much about it. Even if you don't have any interest in the case, it's worth listening to 

Black Box - a podcast from The Guardian about AI, and how it is transforming and will transform the world, for better or worse. It's fascinating and shocking, and well worth your time. The subject - at face value - might sound dry, but I promise you that it's not. 

Noncensored - Comedy is obviously subjective, and this won't be for everyone, but this show is hosted by comedian Rosie Holt as the character Harriet Langley-Swindon - basically a parody of Julia Hartley-Brewer. She's a right wing radio host, with guests being comedians playing the role of famous political figures. Episodes with Sir Keir Starmer are particularly fun. 

The Luke and Pete Show - Featuring Pete Donaldson from Wrestle Me! and Luke Moore formerly of Talksport. The premise of the podcast is that they talk about interesting things - and if you've listened to Wrestle Me and you're familiar with Pete's mind, you'll maybe get an idea as to where this show goes. It makes me laugh out loud frequently, and it's just generally good fun. 

• Members

I have honestly given up with podcasts these days, but Pat if I still listened to them, I'd listen to yours :)

Luke and Pete Show is a great example. Used to listen every episode and now just can't be arsed. And because I'm a bit of a twat, I can't just dive back in, I'd have to go back to where I last listened. And again, I can't be arsed.

2 hours ago, RedTwoster said:

Black Box - a podcast from The Guardian about AI, and how it is transforming and will transform the world, for better or worse. It's fascinating and shocking, and well worth your time. The subject - at face value - might sound dry, but I promise you that it's not. 

I listened to this last week and it is indeed excellent and fascinating.

• Paid Members

I finally cancelled my Wrestle Me Patreon. Being unemployed made it an easier decision, but I have found this year a bit tiresome. They have really heavily focused on just WWE and done multiple episodes of current WWE shows of this year. But the final straw was them moaning for weeks about getting AEW press for All In to getting it and then releasing an All In episode which only spent about 15 minutes or so discussing the show as an after thought. I'll probably dip in after Christmas to see what I have missed and for Wrestle Me-mus, but we'll see.

Anyone have any similar recommendations for shows of that ilk?  

Yeah, Wrestle Me is ans much about the personalities of the two hosts as it is the wrestling. If you don’t enjoy listening to them, fair enough - but I thought the All In episode was a lot of fun. I’m sure they’ll do a full review in the future, much as they did with Wrestlemania (where they typically do an episode about the live experience, then one after they watch the show back)

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nexus said:

To be fair mate that is their general MO even with WWE shows. 

1 hour ago, RedTwoster said:

Yeah, Wrestle Me is ans much about the personalities of the two hosts as it is the wrestling. If you don’t enjoy listening to them, fair enough - but I thought the All In episode was a lot of fun. I’m sure they’ll do a full review in the future, much as they did with Wrestlemania (where they typically do an episode about the live experience, then one after they watch the show back)

I do like them, generally, I think it was all the moaning about getting the free tickets as press and then not talking about it. I know their MO for only doing 1 match usually on the first episode of a PPV, but that came across really entitled.

And just having a look back they did All In 2018 last summer, and nothing with AEW since. And yet they started doing their Clash at the Castle 2024 series the week after. No All In Londons. While they have covered some AEW before, it’s not often, but to not do the Wembley shows feels a bit odd. Anyway, give it six months and I’ll have plenty to catch up on for my £8.

Fucking hell @Hannibal Scorch I'm really sorry to be blunt but Wrestle Me is still absolutely hilarious and brilliant, their quest to get the press tickets I found to be absolutely hilarious in their way. You are taking a break because they don't cover enough AEW? Come on, don't be daft. I don't watch WWE and haven't in years, but if they review a modern show, or some old bollocks like No Way Out of Texas, I'm going to because hearing their opinion is amusing. It's not 'a bit odd' they don't cover AEW at all.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chili said:

Fucking hell @Hannibal Scorch I'm really sorry to be blunt but Wrestle Me is still absolutely hilarious and brilliant, their quest to get the press tickets I found to be absolutely hilarious in their way. You are taking a break because they don't cover enough AEW? Come on, don't be daft. I don't watch WWE and haven't in years, but if they review a modern show, or some old bollocks like No Way Out of Texas, I'm going to because hearing their opinion is amusing. It's not 'a bit odd' they don't cover AEW at all.

Well, no it’s subjective isn’t it. I’ve been a listener for years and a Pat Patreon since almost the beginning of that. I’ve seen them live as well. 

I haven’t enjoyed them as much this year, and not sure why exactly. But I used to look forward to a new episode dropping and would prioritise it. However I just haven’t enjoyed it as much this year and as I said, when I’ve become unemployed it’s easier to make cutbacks on things and that was one of them.

I didn’t complain about them not covering much AEW, but said I found it odd they didn’t cover the Wembley shows, especially doing All in 2018 prior to All In 2023, in the same way they cover the WWE UK PPV’s.

I’m glad it still works for you, not sure why you’ve taken it so personal though. All I did was wonder if it was my taste that had changed or if there was a dip. Obviously not.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Chili said:

Personally they need to almost exclusively cover WCW as that's where the gold comes from in Wrestle Me personally.

I’m happy with the 90’s/00’s WCW/WWF/ECW. Much rather that than covering current shows and we had 7 shows dedicated to Mania 40, on top of the shows they recorded during the trip. And that was directly after 3 weeks of Clash at the Castle. I think that’s why I noticed it. Too much close together.