The UKFF's 50 Favourite Films 2012 - The Results!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Who ya gonna call?

Ghostbusters (1984)

Ghostbusters_cover.png

People wot put it in 1st place: 2

IMDB Rating: 7.8

What's it about?

Rick Moranis does his best to fuck up a truly great 1980s comedy. Bill Murray and friends save the day.

What do we say?

"I've watched Ghostbusters quite regularly for most of my life, and I will never tire of doing so."

"Just the greatest."

"Just simply one of the best comedy films of all time, timeless, brilliant and featuring an on fire Bill Murray."

So say Harmonic Generator, Astro Hollywood and Snake Plissken respectively. The latter two had it as their number one, in fact.

It's the first film on the list to grab two number one nominations (hey, there are still three films to go that got no number one nominations - my points system fucking rules) and I don't think that many people would argue that it belongs somewhere on the list. This high? Why the hell not. After all, it's one of THE most iconic films of all time and no doubt if Ian is around, he could do practically a whole thread on 'Did It Have Shit On The Market?'

Indeed, the shit it had on the market (although I don't want to talk about the glow in the dark jumpers as mine was a cheap rip-off from Dickenson Road Market and didn't fucking glow) and the various spin-offs in various media became arguably bigger than the actual film itself and it can perhaps be said that the film itself didn't quite get the attention it deserved at the time for just how bloody good it is. And it really is as funny as anything.

I've often said that good horror comedy is as hard to pull off as anything in films and that for one to really work, it has to find the perfect balance. But Ghostbusters doesn't even try and find an even balance - it's far more of a comedy than a horror, with even the ending peppered with one-liners and absurdity. But, obviously, it works perfectly.

It's probably helped by the cast. In fairness to Moranis, this was probably his best role but he really is an irritating twat. That said, he didn't stand a chance of ruining this with Murray on top sardonic form, Dan Aykroyd also at the top of his game, and ace support by Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson. William Atherton also pops up in a typically unheralded but thoroughly tremendous support role, and the two main ladies Sigourney Weaver and Annie Potts ( :love: ) never get quite the praise they deserve.

Somehow I always manage to miss my favourite bit off the start (the library!) but it's undeniably rewatchable and endlessly enjoyable. I'm not arsed if they make a third one - I can always watch this and always enjoy it as much as when I first saw it.

Some good bits!

• Paid Members

One of my favourites of all time this. Saw it as a kid, watched it at birthday parties in the infants, watched the DVD re-release as a teenager and am still in love with it today. The spin offs this film had were massive. Someone asked the other day, why we need to see another Ghostbusters film, and for me the answer is is that Hollywood must be desperate for it, with all the money it will make off merchandise and the film itself. Bill Murray said on Howard Stern one of the main reasons he isnt keen on the film is because the studio wants a third movie to reboot the franchise, due to the success of the video game and new Mattel figures line they've released in recent years. Imagine all the crap they'd release if there was actually a film to promote. Ironic students, lads in their 20s wishing it was the late 80s/early 90s again (like myself), people who saw it the first time or people who missed the GBs the first time out will be out in force for a third movie. The second film was huge as well, and did incredible business under stiff competition when you think it was released the same weekend as Batman and No Holds Barred.

Its hard to say if this is Bill Murray's greatest performance, because I love the man in so much of what he's done, but he puts in a fucking tremendous showing. The Mayor is one of my favourite characters in this and the second film. Ernie Hudson caused mass confusion for those who watched the cartoon first, when he appeared onscreen with a tash. Egon is not blonde either, but if you've seen him in Stripes, he's forgiven. Dan Aykroid is his brilliant self in this one, too. Its a film, most of the actors in it were born to play. John Candy was going to play Luis from what I understand. It brings me joy that my two nieces (especially my four year old niece) loves this film, and the cartoons. Slimer's her favourite. Who doesn't love Slimer?

Favourite quote is "I love Jesus' style" by Winston. Always cracks me up, for no apparent reason.

Edited by The_BarbarIAN

• Paid Members
Ahh, so he did, Keith. I'm being blinded by hunger.

On the subject of Westerns, Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy only managed two nominations in total - one each for A Fistful Of Dollars and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

By way of a quick glance down the complete list, I think I'm right in saying that not a single John Wayne film received a single vote.

If I had found the time to put a list together, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly would have been in my top three, possibly even my No1. Would that have pushed it into the Top 50?

I think I desperately need to re-watch Once Upon A Time In The West. I bought it years ago off the back of my love of Leone's Dollars trilogy, but I don't think I gave it my full attention when I watched it. I only watched it the one time and it just didn't pull me in like the Dollars films, because it was largely Clint's character that I loved so much in those.

This thread is making me want to re-watch loads of old films. I just wish I could find the time for them all.

• Paid Members
Ahh, so he did, Keith. I'm being blinded by hunger.

On the subject of Westerns, Sergio Leone's Dollars trilogy only managed two nominations in total - one each for A Fistful Of Dollars and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

By way of a quick glance down the complete list, I think I'm right in saying that not a single John Wayne film received a single vote.

If I had found the time to put a list together, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly would have been in my top three, possibly even my No1. Would that have pushed it into the Top 50?

Only a number one placing would have squeezed it in.

• Paid Members
One of my favourites of all time this. Saw it as a kid, watched it at birthday parties in the infants, watched the DVD re-release as a teenager and am still in love with it today. The spin offs this film had were massive. Someone asked the other day, why we need to see another Ghostbusters film, and for me the answer is is that Hollywood must be desperate for it, with all the money it will make off merchandise and the film itself. Bill Murray said on Howard Stern one of the main reasons he isnt keen on the film is because the studio wants a third movie to reboot the franchise, due to the success of the video game and new Mattel figures line they've released in recent years. Imagine all the crap they'd release if there was actually a film to promote. Ironic students, lads in their 20s wishing it was the late 80s/early 90s again (like myself), people who saw it the first time or people who missed the GBs the first time out will be out in force for a third movie. The second film was huge as well, and did incredible business under stiff competition when you think it was released the same weekend as Batman and No Holds Barred.

Its hard to say if this is Bill Murray's greatest performance, because I love the man in so much of what he's done, but he puts in a fucking tremendous showing. The Mayor is one of my favourite characters in this and the second film. Ernie Hudson caused mass confusion for those who watched the cartoon first, when he appeared onscreen with a tash. Egon is not blonde either, but if you've seen him in Stripes, he's forgiven. Dan Aykroid is his brilliant self in this one, too. Its a film, most of the actors in it were born to play. John Candy was going to play Luis from what I understand. It brings me joy that my two nieces (especially my four year old niece) loves this film, and the cartoons. Slimer's her favourite. Who doesn't love Slimer?

Favourite quote is "I love Jesus' style" by Winston. Always cracks me up, for no apparent reason.

THIS. I recall reading that Slimer is based on John Belushi. Don't tell me if that's not true, I like to think it is regardless.

Ghostbusters was the first film that I was aware of that had some scenes shot twice, one bring a more family orientated one. Namely, during the argument in the Mayors office (I think), Ray Stantz calls Walter Peck "Dickless" and later, Venkman says "It's true, this man has no dick" or words to that effect. When it was on TV, it was replaced with "Wally Wick" and "It's true, this is a rodent of some description". Blew my mind when I first saw it!

Ah, 1984 was a great year to be ten years old.

• Paid Members
I recall reading that Slimer is based on John Belushi. Don't tell me if that's not true, I like to think it is regardless.

There's debate on whether it was actually based on him, but it was called "The ghost of John Belushi" by the cast and crew.

• Paid Members
I recall reading that Slimer is based on John Belushi. Don't tell me if that's not true, I like to think it is regardless.

'tis true, also the role of Peter Venkman was written for Belushi but he died before it got made.

while we're at it Winston was written for Eddie Murphy.

Love me some Ghostbusters movie but the cartoon will always trump it for me, incredibly creative, deep and well written for a cartoon of the time. Best cartoon of all time in my opinion.

• Paid Members

Se7en (1995)

Seven_(movie)_poster.jpg

People wot put it in 1st place: 1

IMDB Rating: 8.7

What's it about?

Take Your Pick eat your heart out.

What do we say?

"This was a massive shot in the arm for the crime genre and that shouldn

• Paid Members

This was my number 1 film, thought it might just sneak into the top 10 but hey ho. I was 12 when this came out, so probably 13 or 14 when it came out on video and I saw it for the first time. 'Sloth' and to a slightly lesser extent 'Gluttony' absolutely freaked me out and got inside my head, the fact that you only ever see the aftermath so a lot is left to imagination obviously only heightens that. I've seen it probably 10-15 times since then and as people have rightly said, it's one of the most re watchable movies ever made, I think this is partly down to the superb set design, where there's so much depth and texture to the filth and squalor that you always pick up on something new. It's described in the special features that all of the books in Doe's apartment (my favourite scene) were written and bound by hand, with something on each page, I really hope at some point they make it into Londons movie museum so I can have a look through it.

But in short, an amazing cast all on top form, great chemistry between Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman, especially in the dialogue-heavy bar scene, and equally excellent between Pitt and Spacey in the equally dialogue-heavy and equally awesome driving sequence out into the desert ("You're no messiah. You're a movie of the week. You're a fucking t-shirt, at best"). Great small roles for R. Lee Ermey as the police captain, and the brilliant Michael Massee as the owner of the brothel in the 'Lust' murder ("some guys...have SUITCASES full of stuff").

Yeah, fucking love it.

I've not seen Seven or Se7en for ages. Last time I watched it I turned it off halfway through as it was boring me. I dont dislike it, but it's not something that has captivated me after the initial couple of watches to the point Ill go 'yeah, that's a great film' or indeed recommend it to others.

I can see why people rate it so highly, because of what it is, how its shot etc, but I dont think its for me. Sorry

It's probably time I watched this again; not seen it since the cinema. Like Memento, I found it draining to watch and so have avoided it since.

It IS awesome though. We were talking about Brad Pitt, and whether he's a good actor or an over-actor; well, I don't think that last scene would work without his gurning, face-writing acting. How the fuck would YOU react to that?

Fincher, along with Bryan Singer, seemed to re-inject the crime drama with new blood at a point when Hollywood was bereft of ideas. You had Tarantino way out on his own limb, and old school directors making increasingly self-referential films, and this and Usual Suspects just opened the doors wide to new directors and new creativity. So it totally deserves the plaudits, and its place on this list.

• Paid Members

You and Thunderplex are nutters. Se7en is brilliant.

The next film on this list will see me reporting ANYONE who disagrees with its inclusion. I want to make this clear before the event.

• Paid Members

I fucking love Se7en and put in my top 3 I think. Just a perfect film. It takes everything you expect from a crime thriller and just turns it on it's head in the most disturbing, terrifying and depressing way. The way the film looks...I mean the city this movie takes place in is Hell. There is no two ways about it. Just the ugliest and most hopeless place in the world.

The scene that freaks me out the most is you spend the whole movie thinking it'll end with John Doe being captured after a chase or killed in a shoot out or something like every other movie so when in what seems a very transitional scene you just hear this soft spoke "Detective?" ... "Detective?" followed by the unholy scream "DETECTIVE!" and the camera cuts to a bald Kevin Spacey with a terrifying cold look on his face and arms drenched in blood. It's one of the very few genuine WHAT THE FUCKING HELL moments in film.

As great as Pitt, Freeman and Spacey are (and they are really amazingly great) it's easy to forget Gweyneth Paltrows beauitful and poignant performance in the movie as the one innocent and good ray of light in the world...which makes the film even more heart wrenching and hard hitting.