UFC on Fox II

Adam619

• Paid Members

any love for the prelims on this show?

-Evan Dunham (12-2) vs. Nik Lentz (21-4-2)

-Mike Russow (14-1) vs. Jon Olav Einemo (6-2)

-Johnny Bedford (18-9-1) vs. Mitch Gagnon (8-1)

-Cub Swanson (15-5) vs. George Roop (12-8-1)

-Charles Oliveira (14-2) vs. Eric Wisely (19-6)

-Michael Johnson (9-6) vs. Shane Roller (10-5)

-Joey Beltran (13-6) vs. Lavar Johnson (15-5)

-Chris Camozzi (15-5) vs. Dustin Jacoby (6-1)

it's airing on Fuel, and that's a good fight card in itself. Can't wait for Johnson/Beltran, that things gonna be wild.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
There is no Countdown or Primetime show for the Fox show, they only did a Primetime for the Cain-JDS fight because that was the first fight on Fox.

UFC on Fox blog with Jon Jones' prediction at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4FRyLhV0mg...ture=plpp_video

"The Hulk" is an annoying tit is'nt he?

oh yeh, Easton's gonna the kind of guy that people are gonna love to hate. If he keeps winning he's gonna get even more vocal.

Nice little dig at Rashad again from Jones' bringing up the chin thing. I wonder if there's any truth to it? maybe there's been incidents in the gym where Rashad has been laid out? who knows. I know there's been situations where he's been rocked in fights but i wonder if there's more to it, or if it's all mind games from Bones.

I keep forgetting Evans-Davis is happening this Saturday!

• Paid Members

anyone know what time, UK time the prelims will start on UFC.com? i'll be getting in from work at like 10.30 Saturday night, im guessing it starts around 11.30 so it works out pretty good for me :)

any love for the prelims on this show?

-Evan Dunham (12-2) vs. Nik Lentz (21-4-2)

-Mike Russow (14-1) vs. Jon Olav Einemo (6-2)

-Johnny Bedford (18-9-1) vs. Mitch Gagnon (8-1)

-Cub Swanson (15-5) vs. George Roop (12-8-1)

-Charles Oliveira (14-2) vs. Eric Wisely (19-6)

-Michael Johnson (9-6) vs. Shane Roller (10-5)

-Joey Beltran (13-6) vs. Lavar Johnson (15-5)

-Chris Camozzi (15-5) vs. Dustin Jacoby (6-1)

it's airing on Fuel, and that's a good fight card in itself. Can't wait for Johnson/Beltran, that things gonna be wild.

I'm looking forward to seeing Johnny Bedford again. I was impressed by him on TUF, apart from getting knocked out and thinking he was in a different state

Really?! I might take some of that. You honestly believe big Mike's got a chance Ebb?

i do. I think Bisping's in with a great shot. I think most people are assuming Sonnen's gonna lay on Bisping for 3 rounds and do his thing, but ive never seen anything in Bisping's game to think that's it'll be that cut & dry. I know Sonnen's takedown and top game seems on another level these days but even if Sonnen takes Bisping there i quite fancy Bisping to cause problems to Chael from his back. I also think Bisping's footwork standing is going to be key, Bisping's great at peppering guys and moving, i think he's going to outscore Chael over the 3 rounds and win a decision.

I know Bisping's never really been in with grinder like Chael before, but Bisping's had very good success against grappling orientated fighters.

Bisping's going to win, trust me!

As for the Maia/Weidman fight, i just don't see how they make Weidman the favourite, the guys 3-0 in the UFC and has looked great but he's defeated guys who aint known for having much cop on the ground. Now he's going in against probably the best jiu-jitsu player in MMA, i just don't see how they make him the favourite when his strength is Maia's strength also. Unless the bookies know something that we don't know, i just fancy Maia to give Weidman a bit of a schooling on the mat.

Thing is though Maia has not submitted anyone in 3 years that have included 7 fights.

The wins he gets are usually due to his grappling ability, but he has a hard time finishing oppenents it would seem. He has faced some hard guys to submit, but Weidman is no slouch on the ground and has competed at ADCC.

I do not think Maia deserves to be such a heavy underdog though, I think he could grind a dull points win, in face that could be the most likely outcome.

• Paid Members

True that Maia hasn't submitted anyone in a while, but surely thats dowm to the fact that he's one of these guys that has fallen in love with his hands, which in the long run should help him out but he's a guy that needs to get back to his primary strength.

True that Maia hasn't submitted anyone in a while, but surely thats dowm to the fact that he's one of these guys that has fallen in love with his hands, which in the long run should help him out but he's a guy that needs to get back to his primary strength.

See I am not sure that is because he has fallen in love with his hands totally.

He should have subbed Grove and Santigo, they are not crap on the ground but the amount of time Maia had them there for and did not produce a submission was not worthy of a man who has the BJJ credentials of Maia.

Myabe Maia's BJJ game is a bit like Dean Listers and Jeff Monsons and does not translate well to MMA, he took a long time submitting Jason Mcdonald back in the day and the only two times he has looked a BJJ Legend was agaisnt Sonnen and Herman.

Its just a theory, time will tell if its right.

• Paid Members

i think it might be more a case of jiu-jitsu in an MMA setting needing to be speeded up to be effective in the time frame, Maia's submission offensive might not be super aggressive but im pretty certain he can neutralise and stop people from submitting him quite easily and thus gain control in ground fighting situations. I'm picking Maia via sub or decision all day.

• Paid Members

Yeah I'd give Maia the edge in this one and it's worth remembering although Weidman's looked great so far he's only had 7 fights and his biggest wins were Tom Lawlor and Alessio Sakara. Demian Maia is a big step up from them 2.

Weidman training under Serra and having done a lot of grappling will help him but I've got a feeling Maia is gonna break his decision streak here and submit Weidman. I think experience is gonna be a factor, especially given the difference in their level of opposition. I think Maia's crafty enough to catch him at this point as I don't think Weidman's the finished article yet.

Then again, Weidman's a last minute replacement and we know how that often goes in MMA. Could be massive for him if he pulls it off.

Maia not tapping anyone for ages I think is partly down to him focusing a lot on his stand up. Partly that he's been less open to taking risks since Marquardt flattened him. And a big reason for me is that everyone knows how big a threat he is on the ground and his last bunch of opponents have been decent-very good grapplers who could do just enough to survive and lose on points. Guys like Santiago, Grove and Mario Miranda are all at the brown to blackbelt level and they know how to hold on and not leave openings long enough for a stand up or the round to end. I suspect it would be different in straight grappling but in MMA there's ways they can get by as long as they don't open up too much on bottom and leave openings for Maia to exploit.

He'll be tapping people again. I think he's just been going through a transition period of focusing on other areas of MMA and that's coincided with his facing a bunch of good BJJ guys who were able to survive. He's still looked pretty dominant in most of them fights.

Archived