Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Its like the summer transfer window in wrestling at the minute. ROH just signed CMLL's RUSH from under Court Bauer's nose. He had him booked as the main event of MLW's WrestleMania weekend show against LA Park, and ROH just went "we'll have that" and signed him to a deal. ROH's really doing the business at the minute. That AEW stuff put them back in the game. They dont want to become number 3.

AEW have signed Joey Janela and MJF but apparently both will still be allowed to carry on working for MLW. Seeing that Impact and MLW already seem to be happy to share talent (with AAA and Lucha Underground also in the mix), I wonder if we're heading for a situation where ROH and New Japan act as one booking block, MLW and AEW (and maybe Impact) forming another and the WWE obviously plodding along as they are.

Interesting times. I don't recall a situation where so many promotions were working together.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

MLW and Impact seem to be using the best of the rest, really. There's no need for ROH or AEW to work with them, since Sinclair and Shad Kahn are in the business of signing and locking up their talent. The best thing Impact has is their crew. They have Keith Mitchell, Don Callis, Scott D'Amore, Kevin Sullivan (not that one) and a good production line up. MLW is similar in that they have a good crew as well, filled with ex-WWF/WCW and ECWers. That's who you're going to be looking at people snapping up if they get TV. Not so much the wrestlers, but the staff. Because AEW used ROH's production crew and some Impact lads for their All In show. They have nobody who can produce a wrestling show on their books at the minute.

Money is going to rule all in the end. Impact's future (as always) is all about if they can get a new TV deal. Because you're not surviving this market on that channel they are on. MLW and Impact are going to be the ones that suffer, because they cant compete with Sinclair and the Khans.

As far as Janela and MJF goes, there is no AEW really. They still need to be booked places, so until this gets a TV deal and gets up and running, they'll of course want to keep working for MLW. Its a payday for them. If they get on TNT or Paramount, I cant see either of them wanting to work dates for Court Bauer on the sides.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

If they get on TNT or Paramount, I cant see either of them wanting to work dates for Court Bauer on the sides.

Yup, would agree with all of that really.

A lot depends on if AEW are going to be doing house shows. You'd imagine they would if its a full time promotion, but it may be a slow burner. AEW are hardly going to be arsed if some of their midcard wrestlers are seen on Bein Sports or Twitch are they?

Meltzer seems to think they won't go live every week and will opt for of tapings, at least to start off with.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I almost wish companies wouldn't work together and share talent. It over-exposes the talent and makes far too many companies similar and pointless with no drive to create their own identities and stars. Too much reliance on the names that travel all over the place.

I don't think its a bad thing always, but there are obvious exceptions 

For instance, AAA/Lucha Underground and Impact share a lot but I don't think there's much crossover in viewership there, so no one is being over exposed (or exposed at all in the States since Impact moved to Pursuit...)

Personally I think that ROH have been way too reliant on their relationship with New Japan and now they've lost the big name Americans to AEW, it seems to have lit a fire underneath them. May not be a bad thing in that case.

Ring of Honor is definitely the one I've struggled with the most lately. It was the company that got me interested in things outside the mainstream bubble and yet recently it has just felt like an extension of NJPW. In this day and age if you want to watch New Japan you just watch New Japan. It's not difficult. Just glad that ROH seem to be in a position now where they're being forced to realise they need to do something to rebuild their own identity.

10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

They have nobody who can produce a wrestling show on their books at the minute

That comment is not going to sit well with world renowned producer - Billy Gunn!

Edited by Bohan

In Regards to Ring Of Honor, they’ve just chucked all of their new signings in 2 separate stables.

Marty Scurll, Brody King and PCO is random as fuck

Juice Robinson, Tracey Williams, Tenille Dashwood, Mark Haskins and Bandido is the other random group. 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

34 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

It's not a minor news item but I read this on Wreddit's Observer Rewind from October 2000:

20190116_194356.jpg.712bef568f5b54edc9e8807534ad65cb.jpg

The little twerp is second gen! No wonder he's bulletproof. 

His dad apparently was driving the Allentown tapes back to the office one time when he crashed. The car was on fire but he still endangered himself to get them out of the back, showing his loyalty and lumbering us with Bucky Beaver forevermore.

3 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Ilja Dragunov has been pulled from Defiant and other promotions. It’s believed he might be signing for NXT UK.

I’m a big fan. Gutted I won’t see him next month, but looking forward to him being on tv if true.

I’d assumed he was signed when ICW announced him on a show, as he’s never been in ecw or tna...

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

This wrestling war for talented isnt very gentlemenly is it? That thing about "always forgive your dates" has went out the window.

More a “always forget your dates” at present. It’s a real shame to be fair.