Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

36 minutes ago, AdamTH17 said:

Hogan is back on RAW this coming Monday to "celebrate the life of Mean Gene Okerlund".

In other words, they're going to utilise the death of a much-loved announcer to engineer the television return of an unapologetic racist whilst limiting the negative reactions because it's a tribute, brother.

Or, they were friends for 35 years and it makes sense. Not everything is a war against wwe. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Yakashi said:

Or, they were friends for 35 years and it makes sense. Not everything is a war against wwe. 

They are absolutely using that to reduce any possible negative reaction he may get. No one will boo him if hes fake crying about Mean Gene.

• Paid Members

I think it's fair to say that Gene & Hogan are almost family in wrestling terms, it's not a shock that he wants to say goodbye in front of a live crowd, on TV with a scripted promo. This also happens to be the absolute perfect time to bring the daft racist back. This is exactly the time to do it, if you're going to do it.

I'm torn. It's a pretty shit thing to do timing wise and does feel a little like taking advantage of the situation BUT there's no argument against Hogan's importance in history and in Mean Gene's career. Probably could have just done a taped thing or something though.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I'm torn. It's a pretty shit thing to do timing wise and does feel a little like taking advantage of the situation BUT there's no argument against Hogan's importance in history and in Mean Gene's career. Probably could have just done a taped thing or something though.

Okerlund deserves better than a taped send-off from a Gawker-funded condo.

13 hours ago, FUM said:

Didn't realise wrestling was still attracting new fans. 

You can know exactly what wrestling is and still accept that there might be a bit of legitimacy to man saying goodbye to one if his best friends of 35 years that died. It can be both.