Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members

The Kendo article is interesting. Like people have said, it's not exactly a revelation that he's not straight, but it's the first time he's publicly brought it up that I know of.

His book is out next month, and it's one I've been looking forward to since he first declared he was writing it, but I've been dubious about what to expect - how much it will hold back, how much he'll keep kayfabe, how much he'll bullshit, and I'd basically told myself that whether or not he seriously discusses his sexuality would be the benchmark for what to expect. That he's talking about it openly, and doing the media rounds with it (it's popped up in the Mirror and the Mail at least), as well as using recent unmasked photos, seems a good sign to me.

5 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

The first thing I thought when I saw him was that he didn't look half bad for a man of 76, regardless of whether or not the hair is real.

Same here. Total Ken Barlow syndrome. I hope his book's good and he "shoots", for want of a better term, as it has great potential but could just as easily be a bit rub. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud

Never realised Kendo was from Crewe. I know I had plenty of conversations with older wrestlers (and my grandad for that matter) over the years that always spoke about Count Bartelli when I mentioned where I was from (closest big town anyway) and never Kendo was mentioned. Imagine it was part of the mystique that not even workers knew where he was from. 

• Paid Members

I was always impressed how many workers seemed prepared to help him keep up the mystique. I can't imagine all the stories of him not speaking to them, and meditating before shows and so on, could possibly have been true - and, if they were, that they wouldn't make people think he was a wanker and want to catch him out - but likes of Marc Rocco always seemed prepared to put over the gimmick years after retirement.

I didn't know he was from Crewe either - always thought he was from Stoke.

I've not met many wrestlers of that "era", and worked with even fewer, so I'm working from a very small sample size, admittedly. Shane Stevens used to make fun of young wrestlers' promo photos by implying that it made them look like "one of Kendo's boys"...

On 10/14/2018 at 9:41 AM, TildeGuy~! said:

So it looks like they didn’t book an ex WWE Champion at all as theyre not even mentioning them in the results, half the crowd left at the interval. BRITWRES~!

Edit: It was Renee Dupree, who I didn’t even recognise in the photo.

I was at said show (Hereford is less than an hour away from where I live and I had nothing to do so I thought why not?)

Renee got a nice pop and I was sat at the back (you can see me in some photos) and nobody left during the interval, a local lad was going for the belt in the main so there was a lot of local interest.

Been to several Ironfist shows over the years, always good.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, returner82 said:

Better to be one of Kendo's boys than a boy of Shane Stevens/Rufus Ffoulkes/Daddy Darby, I guess.

Indeed...I cut off that post at "..." rather than allude to Stevens' own proclivities.