Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

WWE always uses the rationale that they don't do tournaments on PPV because the audience doesn't know the full card and therefore are reluctant to buy. Fair enough.

So then, in place on a full one night tournament to avoid this, we have an unknown Survivor Series match and a main event where Taker and Kane are wrestling 2 out of 4 blokes, one of whom might end up being Erick Rowan for all we know. Say what you will about the slapdash nature of having to put the card together with the Rollins injury, a lot of this is their own doing.

WWE always uses the rationale that they don't do tournaments on PPV because the audience doesn't know the full card and therefore are reluctant to buy. Fair enough.

Even though they built a WrestleMania around a tournament? Plus although there wasn't a traditional elimination match during this PPV but in my opinion the 1998 Survivor Series was one of the best ones.

It was the decline of King of the Ring that soured them on the concept of one-night PPV tournaments, I think. It's understandable to think that all the unknown stuff in a tournament ruins the concentrated BIG FIGHT FEEL you get promoting a specific match, but they wouldn't have had that tonight anyway. Of the tournament entrants, Roman Reigns is the closest thing they have to a star, and even he needs a Lesnar or Cena opposite him to create that big match. The marbles are all to play for in this rebuilding period. Plus it's on the network anyway. The intrigue of a bigger one-night tournament would surely outweigh the negatives... Or if it was me anyway, I'd either have done the eight-man tournament tonight or done all the rounds in the prior weeks and spent last Monday promoting the final of Reigns vs Ambrose.

• Paid Members

I can see the argument against the KOTR because the concept had died a fucking death. A rare, one night tournament for the World Title is massively different though. They'd have to be unbelievably stupid not to realise the difference.

• Paid Members

Even though they built a WrestleMania around a tournament?

They built a WrestleMania around a tournament where Hulk Hogan vs Andre The Giant was one of the announced matches, the rematch of the most-watched match in television history, there's a huge difference between that and any other tournament on PPV, ever.

Even though they built a WrestleMania around a tournament?

They've done it before, I'm well aware (although that Mania did below the projections of the time, which may play into the thinking), but they have had the idea, dropped it, and only done it on rare occasion and not returned to it. I'm not even saying I agree with them, and as mentioned by Raid, the difference between King of the Ring (an ultimately pointless tournament other than spotlighting somebody on a major show, but history shows it's all in the follow up rather than the tourney win itself) and doing this, a rare vacant World Title Tournament, is night and day to me as well. Given Owens Vs. Ambrose and Roman Vs. Alberto isn't exactly Hogan Vs. Andre, the Survivor Match is unknown, and they for some reason think not announcing the two Wyatts is intriguing, there really is not reason not to have done the final 8 on the PPV and give the whole card purpose by their own line of thinking.

• Paid Members
That's a load of shite. He has The Shield reuniting the night before they wrestle each other in the Main Event of Wrestlemania. You see better booking on here. Edited by Benno

• Paid Members

I have to assume, Rollins getting injured and HHH offering up the lead of the Authority during the tournament, if Rollins came back it'd be a case of "so forget about me then?"

Overall, I can't hate the idea behind it, perhaps because I am enjoying most of Landis' work at present but the idea itself has legs. All 3 Shield members, as faces, face off at WrestleMania. Not about the Authority or Power, but to prove who's the best. Rollins doesn't want to be forgotten, Ambrose wants his chance, Reigns wants to right the wrongs of the past year. Remembering back to the original Shield tease at a split, it was Rollins walking out because he couldn't be bothered waiting for the other 2 to sort their shit out, is it too much to think that could have been a pre-cursor to him getting out, being the brain, before it self imploded and he was left without an identity?

The HHH thing makes sense as well. If he's not in any way involved, it means it can be a straight 3 way before he faces off with his protege, if Rollins loses the Mania match, he can still be built back up by beating one of the best of all time, it doesn't have to be a Shield reunion but some solidarity as they watch each others backs for HHH's numbers games and such.