New wrestling figures!

King Pitcos

Managed to get my son his first ever "chase" variant yesterday.

Popped into the local Smyths after picking him up from school to see if they had the elite 99 Lesnar that he wanted and they were just putting them onto the shelf as we did.

He was absolutely buzzing to get it.

I've personally got back into it last couple of years. Think it was seeing the elite with Shawn in the blue tights came with a ladder that got me going. I tend to stick to classic wrestlers and aew figures I'm currently collecting 

I've already pre ordered stunning steve Austin and the new andre. 

20 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

A Hasbro-style Gangrel that I pre-ordered last February arrived today, and it got me wondering what I'd have done if they hadn't lost the WWF licence when they did.

I had a decent if incomplete collection (still do), and starting over with Jakks figures that weren't of a compatible scale didn't appeal. Being around 13 it was the right excuse at the right time to stop buying toys, but a continuing Hasbro line featuring Diesel, Vader, Mankind and a "proper" Owen would've been hard to resist.

Maybe I'd have been stuck buying them into adulthood, sneaking Rikishi and Val Venis into uni halls after a clandestine trip to Woolies. Would I have bought as many N64 and PS2 games if DX, The Rock and Stone Cold were hitting the shelves with spring-loaded signature moves?

Those of you who did keep (or even start) collecting in the post-Hasbro era - have your figure buying days been continuous, or were they interrupted for budgetary/stigma reasons and resumed later on? And if the style changed again completely next year, would you draw a line under your pursuit of new releases, or build a new shelf for its next phase?

I too was a 'Hasbro Kid' - got a fairly nice set (along with the WCW Galoobs) of which I'm missing only about half a dozen. I definitely would have carried on buying them (in fact in the last decade I starting buying the more elusive and expensive ones I missed first time round - eg. Dusty Rhodes).

The Jakks BCA were, as you say, out of scale so never bought those - and they looked like a downgrade on the Hasbros. I remember seeing shelves of them around '99 when they were in full flow and seriously considering starting a collection. I have looked in the last few years of actually starting a collection (their weird cartoonish nature, and the fact there's a number of names that haven't got other figures appeals to me). But what it comes down too (other than can I really justify spending the money) is what I'd with them. I don't have space to display them (my Hasbro collection is in boxes in a cupboard) so I'd just have them in storage. 

Years back when the WWE Classic Superstars line came out I was seriously tempted again - but they were so big in their packaging, I had no idea how I'd store them. 

I did consider an LJN collection - but those are so pricey as most ebay listings are US based, plus they were so badly made that loose versions are usually battered to fuck.

I think maybe it's the thrill of the chase I'm swayed by, like all collectors, to track down the rare pieces. But to be brutally honest to myself, I can think of better things to get excited about. 

Although saying that, having a fondness for all things Hasbro, I have bought all of the new Retros and the similar product by Chella toys.

I did notice those new Superstar Walmart figures (similar to the AWA Remcos) and even bought a couple when I was in the States last year, but so far my willpower is good......

Anyone else started a new collection on a whim? Is there anyone on here who was too young for the Hasbros first time but been lured in by their 5" plastic wonder? 

I started again during the first lockdown as something to do. 
I had most Hasbros, Galoobs, Toybiz WCW, hundreds of Jakks and  Classic Superstars in my loft - dusted them off and realised the only ones I was interested in was the Hasbros. 

I sold all of my Jakks, Galoobs and CS figures (all the CS and most the Jakks were MOC too) which took several months on EBay - and started buying the odd new figure here and there to compliment by Hasbro collection. 

Fast forward 3 years and I have close to 300 MOC Mattel & AEW figures - there is just so many great looks and characters they do, and people I'd never have thought I'd get a figure of - Isaac Yankem, Chainsaw Charlie, The Goon! 

Fully in deep now with their Ultimate and a retro lines, and pick up the odd elite if it's someone from my childhood. 

Edited by Daddymagic

• 1 month later...

Any new pick ups?

I've bagged 4 out of the 6 new #100 Elites. "Stunning"Steve Austin, The Rock, John Cena and managed to get a chase variant Andre all 4 together costing me just under £50. They all look really good aside from no NWA on the television title and the Andre belt being blue strapped but that's minor overall.

Mainly been picking up loose stuff as of late and got an old Mabel bendem's today and a near complete Warrior create a figure from the early 2010's.

Happy hunting!

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

I don't really do wrestling toys and the like, being a 40-something man, but this pings some long-lost desire in me -

https://creations.mattel.com/en-gb/products/wwe-ultimate-edition-wcw-monday-nitro-entrance-stage-hvf82

Who do you think it's aimed at? It's absolutely 40+ year old men, no kids want a $400 WCW Nitro Stage playset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 4/18/2023 at 4:18 PM, Loki said:

I don't really do wrestling toys and the like, being a 40-something man, but this pings some long-lost desire in me -

https://creations.mattel.com/en-gb/products/wwe-ultimate-edition-wcw-monday-nitro-entrance-stage-hvf82

On 4/18/2023 at 4:21 PM, Hannibal Scorch said:

Who do you think it's aimed at? It's absolutely 40+ year old men, no kids want a $400 WCW Nitro Stage playset.

The crowdfunding for this project isn't looking like it will hit it's target, they are currently less than halfway there with less than a week to go. That's just the baseline offer too, far more backers are needed to get all the extra figures. So I guess that there just aren't enough 40+ men out there looking to spunk £500 on a WCW stage. As you might imagine, Cardona and Myers have been reporting on the progress on their podcast each week. Hardcore collectors like them are the target demographic and even those two didn't seem to be totally sold by what's on offer for the price.

• Paid Members
Just now, Arch Stanton said:

The crowdfunding for this project isn't looking like it will hit it's target, they are currently less than halfway there with less than a week to go. That's just the baseline offer too, far more backers are needed to get all the extra figures. So I guess that there just aren't enough 40+ men out there looking to spunk £500 on a WCW stage. As you might imagine, Cardona and Myers have been reporting on the progress on their podcast each week. Hardcore collectors like them are the target demographic and even those two didn't seem to be totally sold by what's on offer for the price.

Add to that the UK cost, as you stated is £500 (plus £9 shipping) when the US price is $400 (£318 at todays exchange rate). Proper piss take. The irony the stage won’t get backed but the ring to go with it will be at retail shows the blind faith Mattel had of wrestling fans with deep pockets.

Many reasons why this failed- 

* Pricing international customers at a much higher rate than American ones. U.K/Ireland and Canada all have to pay close to double for the set. 

* It's far too big. Very few people will have room to display it. Plus you'd also need to then buy the ring for another £200 in a few months. 

* choices of figures are really underwhelming. You have the history of WCW Nitro to choose from and you go with Red & Yellow Hulk (which is a re paint) another repaint of Rey Mysterio and Ultimate Warrior in jeans. Plus the Steiner they chose is the most boring of its looks. 

• Paid Members

@Daddymagic Not that I would ever have bought it anyway, although I think it looks great as a display piece, but you're absolutely right about the choice of figures. Hardcore collectors have a million Hogans, Warriors and Mysterios already. Warrior isn't even someone you'd ever want to display on a Nitro stage. This needed some rarely seen or first-time-in-the-line names to appeal to that particular type of collector. Of course, the licensing deals WWE have with the talent restrict these things, but it needed a Bagwell, Konnan, Disco or someone like that instead of another Warrior.

The last kickstarter they did nearly failed until they added a popular look of Macho Man. 

For £220 I got 3 Ultimate Edition figures - Diesel, Macho, an announcer table, and Doink the Clown, a ring, various ring skirts and an LED Entrance stage.

For over £500 it's two Ultimates and a stage. 

They must think people are stupid.

Edited by Daddymagic

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

An absolutely huge company like Mattel using Kickstarter seems to completely go against what the platform is even for, fuck them using it as a pre-order thing.

I don't think there's any issue with it. They find out exactly what the market is for it and whether it will be profitable for them to produce it or not. As things stand, they have their answer. If they had just produced it anyway, they'd have lost thousands of dollars on it and, because they're a business, they'd never bother to put similar niche collector items to the market again in the future.