15/08 RAW Discussion Thread

pizzazz941

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The streak is near on 20 years of booking work. No matter how well CM Punk gets over if he wins, its not worth having that storyline against the likely sales from DVD sets, t-shirts etc from having a 20 year successful streak. It wont be broken. Simple as :-)

The Undertaker making it 20-0 would be a fitting end for him, so there is NO fucking way he should lose it. The time has been and gone for someone else to take it if you ask me.

What if he makes it 20-0 then loses it on 21 (providing he is retiring)?

Then WWE can still pimp out regular "The Undertaker 20 win streak" DVD every year, and whoever finally beats him with have that massive rub.

In my opinion the win streak is only valuable IF the Taker is wrestling and is defending it at a Mania. Once he's retired, you can still harp on about the impressive win streak all the same whilst also hyping someone as the man who stopped the Taker.

Personally though I believe Taker will retire undefeated at Mania, but I don't believe him losing is as much as a impossibility as some are making out. And if someone is going to beat him, it's going to be Cena. Yes he dosen't "need" it, but in my mind he is the only one who could legitimately do it.

• Paid Members

I think there's about as much value in ending the Streak as there is in keeping it, TBH. It's a bit of booking, designed to get either 'Taker or his opponents over (and any merch related to it). If there is anyone to end it, however, I don't think it's Punk. He's already feuded with 'Taker, hasn't he? Plus, he doesn't really have the "aura" to do it - Orton and Lesnar did at their peaks because they came across as dangerous and physically a threat to 'Taker. Guys like Michaels and Punk, smaller guys who "play the tactical game", come across as not being able to do it on the grand stage.

Right now, there's no-one I could point to who'd be fit to end the Streak. Cena's the closest, but he's had his time as an up-and-comer, and it wouldn't benefit him to take it.

I might have thought Sheamus at some point, but he's had his push rushed and been over-exposed as a result, and his later booking has basically made him a tough bad-ass, but not exceptional enough to beat 'Taker.

• Paid Members

Doesn't 'Taker think Punk's a nob and vice-versa? I doubt Mean Mark will want to lose his streak to someone he doesn't think "respects the business" and all that shite.

The streak should only be beaten if 'Taker has no intentions of ever coming back to work. It's an attraction people care about, so WWE would be daft to end it while 'Taker still wants to work one match a year.

Cena taking the streak isn't a good idea. The fans will only get on his back more and apparently WWE are still hellbent on getting Cena over with the "Cena sucks" crowd.

Cena taking the streak isn't a good idea.

Agreed -- but he is the best possible candidate. That's the thing with the streak. They can't just give it to some rookie who might turn out to be shit or just fuck off to join Strikeforce a year later, and the people they can rely on like Cena and Orton have done fine without it so far. It's not like a world title where you could give it to a Lesnar and Lashley and then do a title change if they're leaving. Ending the streak is very fucking permanent.

I don't think there's any value whatsoever in the Undertaker retiring with the streak intact. Ok, if you're obsessed with rounded numbers and you want to get him to 20 wins, fair enough. Actually, as mentioned above, that would be better in terms of marketing DVDs etc.

But of what benefit to anyone is retiring without giving a bit of a rub to whoever the company is going to rely on to make money in the future? The guy who just retired showing he's better than the ace to lead the company into the future is hardly a good business move or a ringing endorsement for the new generation.

Similarly, I think it's mad to suggest that the streak can in any way be tarnished now. The 18,19,20 wins can't be taken away, and nobody's ever going to repeat it so his legacy is pretty safe to say the least. The important part of the achievement isn't really going to be that he was "undefeated at Wrestlemania"; after all, there's probably dozens who fall into that category with 1,2,3 appearances. What makes the feat so grand is how many consecutive wins he's had at the event.

I'd love it to be Punk next year. I think he's ready, I think if given that ball he would run with it and make the most of it. I also think it's relatively safe, in the sense that he's a proven yet youngish guy, on the verge of superstardom, and who is likely to be with the company for several years. It could also give us one of the greatest Wrestlemania moments of all time as well as benefitting Punk in the longer term.

Regardless though, whether it's Punk, Cena, Orton or even someone we haven't seen yet, whenever Takers retirement match comes, he has to lose the streak imo. It's only of value so long as the Undertaker's active, and everyone should have to pass the torch when it's over.

Doesn't 'Taker think Punk's a nob and vice-versa? I doubt Mean Mark will want to lose his streak to someone he doesn't think "respects the business" and all that shite.

I don't think Punk would have lasted this long if 'Taker hated him, and I think you'd have to be insane to suggest that CM Punk "doesn't respect the business".

But comparing Punk to Angle, who he supposedly wanted to end the streak, you can see the difference in the perception of respect for the business. Angle, like Triple H, is renowned for his insane work ethic and he seems more legitimate than Punk. I think Taker would probably take that legitimacy into account as he's a fan of MMA and it would still make him look strong. Imagine Punk botching a GTS on Taker to end the streak. Even if it were done cleanly (which seems to be done less than botching now), I think it'd still seem flat compared to when he could have lost it to Orton for example.

The only person who works as a streak-ender for me is a returning Brock Lesnar, and he'd only be a sensible choice if it could somehow be guaranteed that he was going to give them 4 or 5 years as a full-time guy.

I don't want to see the streak ended by a smaller guy like Punk. He's the best thing about the show these days and I think he could credibly defeat Undertaker if the match was booked right, but I think anyone ending the streak has to be a monster beating Taker at his own game for it to really work.

Cena ending it would just be redundant at this point. He's as over as he's ever going to be and I actually think he peaked in terms of stardom a while ago now. The perfect time for him to challenge the streak has been and gone, though he's probably the best candidate to give Undertaker his 20th victory.

Have Taker beat Cena to make it 20-0, and then if Undertaker has it in him and the stars align correctly, have Lesnar end the streak the year after.

• Paid Members

Let's have Mark Henry continue to split everybody's wig from now until Mania then put him over Taker. He'd be the most over heel for years.

This is not a completely serious suggestion, but I'd fucking love it to happen. I'm bored of Taker and his Mania streak and Mizark is legit the best thing going right now.

• Paid Members
Let's have Mark Henry continue to split everybody's wig from now until Mania then put him over Taker. He'd be the most over heel for years.

This is not a completely serious suggestion, but I'd fucking love it to happen. I'm bored of Taker and his Mania streak and Mizark is legit the best thing going right now.

No, not at all. Henry's been awesome for a few years now, but he's had so much stop-start booking over this period, and has been around for so long uninspiringly before that, he just doesn't have the credibility any more. Not to mention he's probably not got so much left on his career as to warrant that kind of elevation. He's been an effective JTTS/main event gatekeeper for so long, it just wouldn't make sense to feed the Streak to him.

Archived