15/08 RAW Discussion Thread

pizzazz941

My 'scenario' isn't even a scenario. It's just a general point about the way they protect Cena - they would never have put him in the same position as Punk, having to make do with a tainted win then getting battered by an old bloke and losing his title two minutes later. If I really wanted to fantasy book I could certainly work it in easily but I have no intention of doing so.

But, having him in the same position as Punk would have undermined everything they achieved at Summerslam and would have undermined your greater point about Cena being protected above everyone else.

And, you take a pretty reductionist view of what 'protection' actually means. Did they protect Cena in the way Punk won? Maybe (thought, i'll come to why I think that's wrong too) but had Cena been the one to be attacked by Nash, then beaten by ADR, then the spotlight is firmly on John Cena leaving Summerslam. As it is, ADR won the title but the real story coming out of Summerslam was Nash's return and what that meant for Punk/Triple H. In terms of 'protection', Punk did pretty well for himself coming out of SS.

Aside from that, if you read between the lines, I think Steph probably will be revealed as the one that sent the text for Nash to 'stick' Punk but I think once HHH is revealed as complicit, they'll probably make clear that Hunter saw Cena's leg but was there to make sure Punk was around to meet his enforcer thus making the nature of the 'win' important, too. That is speculation, though, granted. That said, I think what i'm most impressed about is that they haven't blown their load with Triple H/Punk too early, and are thinking of adversaries to pad the feud out that keep Punk/Triple H close without them being the whole story. It's better that Triple H has links to the people after Punk, then it would have been if Punk had continued feuding with anybody and everybody, whilst occasionally making reference to HHH.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Id accidentally gone in a time machine.. HHH/Steph powertrip/friction and an 'out there' anti authority wrestler. Wonder where I've seen this before? Chuck in Nash and the the whole thing has gone very sour for me very quickly.

What was potentially new and exciting is just a rehash of what has been done a million times before already with many of the main protagonists filling similar roles that they did before.

Bugger

Enjoyed RAW. Got some good wrestling with Del Rio/Mysterio and Morrison/Truth and I'm so glad they didn't blow their load with the Summerslam ending and explain everything in one night. It's unpredictable episodic television and that is exactly what they should be doing. This whole Punk angle has been brilliant so far and they keep adding new dimensions to keep it interesting. They deserve kudos.

I thought Id accidentally gone in a time machine.. HHH/Steph powertrip/friction and an 'out there' anti authority wrestler. Wonder where I've seen this before? Chuck in Nash and the the whole thing has gone very sour for me very quickly.

What was potentially new and exciting is just a rehash of what has been done a million times before already with many of the main protagonists filling similar roles that they did before.

Bugger

There's very limited roles available in wrestling, everything you'll see in someway has been done before.

Seriously though, where did you think or want them to go with the Punk narrative...?

Thing is though, didn't Nash say the text said to take out whoever won the match between Cena and Punk? As opposed to Punk or Cena specifically.

If HHH was in on it why bother screwing Cena first, if it was Steph looking for revenge on Punk why send that text?

Just looks like whoever sent the text wanted the title on Del Rio. Which suggests Vince.

Thing is though, didn't Nash say the text said to take out whoever won the match between Cena and Punk? As opposed to Punk or Cena specifically.

If HHH was in on it why bother screwing Cena first, if it was Steph looking for revenge on Punk why send that text?

Just looks like whoever sent the text wanted the title on Del Rio. Which suggests Vince.

Steph 'steals' Triple H's phone telling Nash to 'stick' the winner.

Triple H screws Punk, ostensibly inadvertently.

If I was to connect the dots, i'd say Triple H was in on it and his role was to make sure Punk was around to get 'stuck'. What an odd choice of phrase. Anywho, I think we are to believe the text came off Triple H's phone, so I think Vince is a bit of a push at this stage.

The Young Bucks looked ridiculous when they wrestled for TNA. Can you imagine how they'd look in WWE? Christ.

I think it depends entirely on if WWE are serious about a tag division revival.

With a few other established teams and some renewed focus, I think there is a place for a small, high-flying babyface tag team like the Bucks, filling in a Hardy Boyz type role. They are a young, athletically gifted genuine brother tag team. They'd need plenty of time in development to work a WWE style and obviously a serious overhaul of their 'look', but I don't think it's fair to write them off completely.

These days WWE is far less of a Big man promotion than is was a few years ago. The Bucks are not far different in size to Daniel Bryan, Kidd, Sin Cara, Justin Gabriel, Cody etc...

Archived