15/08 RAW Discussion Thread

pizzazz941

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Young Bucks looked ridiculous when they wrestled for TNA. Can you imagine how they'd look in WWE? Christ

Remember how the Hardy Boyz looked when they first debuted? They were weak looking kids also. Besides if the Bucks couldn't cut it they would be removed from the roster quickly.

There's very limited roles available in wrestling, everything you'll see in someway has been done before.

Seriously though, where did you think or want them to go with the Punk narrative...?

I appreciate that there are limit roles in wrestling today, but after starting off doing something a bit different in terms of the tease of Punk effing off and the wrestling to back it it up, to so quickly running out of ides as to revert to what's been done before with pretty much the same cast as per a decade or more ago is utterly galling.

They could have had the balls to keep punk off air for a few months, and not on the weekly show as a wrestler causing problems on run ins and sending in vids or whatever maintaining his legitimacy as champ as opposed to to puppet chump as we have now, as seeing as they are meant to be playing the 'long game'

Instead they blow it all off in the space of about a month and now we are seeing the writing team having a collective brainfart and going back to what has been done before in order to keep the fans attuned by chucking any old shit at it and seeing if it sticks ( its a nice distraction for the Cena Rock buildup falling by the way a lil cos of no rock for WM)

Nash doesnt excite me in any way shape or form either and is 2 years older than Hogan was when came back to the WWF in c 2002

I didnt want alot, just something different. and it seems with safe mode we arent going to get that to a large extent.

They could have had the balls to keep punk off air for a few months, and not on the weekly show as a wrestler causing problems on run ins and sending in vids or whatever maintaining his legitimacy as champ as opposed to to puppet chump as we have now, as seeing as they are meant to be playing the 'long game'

Don't be fucking stupid. If they keep Punk off television/the roster for months, they have to make fans forget about him and concentrate more on whatever storyline they're doing, so he'd mean less by the time he came back. If Raw was centred around "what video is former WWE wrestler CM Punk sending in today?" instead of the active wrestlers, how do they sell the pay-per-views?

I'm impressed with the Nash roadblock from Triple H, this angle has done wonders for renewing enthusiasm for a lot of WWE fans and former fans as I have seen first hand. I think that the 'business exposing' nature of this feud is not a problem as it is not going completely overboard in ridiculous fashion e.g. Hogan reffering to fake belts on TNA Reaction. Punk is a man of pride and didn't want to conform to a character created for him such as Oz or Vinnie Vegas. Punk also positioned Cena as a credible chmpion without criticising his wrestling ability and instead used his media apperances and image as the reason he was the golden boy.

I'm pleased to see Del Rio fnally thriving. I enjoyed his promo at the start of the night, I liked the title match and his reactions with Ricardo at the top of the ramp were great. This beats the hell out of Del Rio talking about his unfulfilled destiny week in week out as well as matches with Evan Bourne, Kofi Kingston etc which were nothing more than filler whilst Del Rio waited for his title opportunity.

Talking of Kingston and Bourne, a tag team pairing for the two is a good thing and will allow them to be involved on the show without being nothing more than someone for a main evente to beat fairly quickly. If they win the tag gold they could also appear on Smackdown where I think they would be greatly appreciated an would obviously be a much better asset as co-brand champions than Otuna and Mcgillicutty. Lawler saying that these guys are 'the bland, leading the bland' was great.

Don't be fucking stupid. If they keep Punk off television/the roster for months, they have to make fans forget about him and concentrate more on whatever storyline they're doing, so he'd mean less by the time he came back. If Raw was centred around "what video is CM Punk sending in today?" instead of the active wrestlers, how do they sell the pay-per-views?

Okay, I wont be 'fucking stupid' as you succinctly put it. Sorry for deigning to have an opinion on something that was drawing me back into the product and has now left me utterly cold

Given past storylines, how long before Punk takes the 'Jericho' role in all of this ?

Considering Punk's penchant for cutting "insider remarks" his exchange with Nash was tamer than it really should have been. Nash has a long and storied history of being a bit of a selfish twat and doing whatever it takes to get paid, there are countless things Punk could have said about Nash but for whatever reason they never went there. Did anyone notice how Nash came out to virtually no reaction? Nash has a reputation for being a bit of a talker but in my opinion he totally died in front of that crowd, I wonder if he expected a bigger pop and lost his nerve when he didn't get it. It was pretty sad to watch.

A lot of people seem to be suspecting Vince of pulling the strings but I wonder if it's actually John "Executive Vice-Chairman of Talent Relations" Laurinaitis in an attempt to wrestle the company back into Vince's hands. Laurinaitis has now spent too much time on TV to have nothing to do with the storyline.

Speaking of sad, how about Miz? He's gone from the main event at Wrestlemania 27 to selling Subway on Raw. Is he injured or something? Please tell me there's a logical explanation for this.

Interesting how we never actually saw HHH talk to Cena like he said he was going to, we only saw him going into Cena's dressing room I think. And we never saw Nash talk to HHH either. The theory of a HHH/Cena/Nash conspiricy is logical. But that doesn't exolain why Cena took loosing to Punk so well, and just left the ring.

The theory of a HHH/Cena/Nash conspiricy is logical.

No it's not.

Because if Cena is to be involved, as the active wrestler/stooge of the establishment, then it'd make bugger all sense to screw him out of the title just to put the belt on Punk to get beaten up by Nash. Surely they'd just have Triple H help Cena and Nash join in the beatdown, that way you'd end up with power and the title.

Cena's out of it now, for sure. He's got Rock at the end of his rainbow and it would just over complicate things to wrap him up in an over complicated narrative.

But that doesn't exolain why Cena took loosing to Punk so well, and just left the ring

He's a babyface, it'd have been weird if he'd thrown a shit fit and started throwing people about. As Cena, logically, explained; he got screwed, but Punk was a warrior and, after all, he's due a rematch. It makes sense that after being 'inadvertently' screwed he was able to suppress his emotions as he was sufficiently impressed by Punk's vim (and, indeed, his vigour) but ADR cheapening the whole occasion, and the title, was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I have no idea why i've become the cheerleader-in-chief for this storyline.

Considering Punk's penchant for cutting "insider remarks" his exchange with Nash was tamer than it really should have been. Nash has a long and storied history of being a bit of a selfish twat and doing whatever it takes to get paid, there are countless things Punk could have said about Nash but for whatever reason they never went there. Did anyone notice how Nash came out to virtually no reaction? Nash has a reputation for being a bit of a talker but in my opinion he totally died in front of that crowd, I wonder if he expected a bigger pop and lost his nerve when he didn't get it. It was pretty sad to watch.

That whole thing seemed really disjointed, almost like they were both given free reign and didn't know what to do with it (though it's possible there was a plan, Nash fucked it up and Punk wasn't quite sure how to recover). At one point it was like they just started throwing lame insider non-sequiturs at each other. It was still entertaining because of who they both are, but it was bloody awkward. It was a good advert for why scripting promos isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A lot of people seem to be suspecting Vince of pulling the strings but I wonder if it's actually John "Executive Vice-Chairman of Talent Relations" Laurinaitis in an attempt to wrestle the company back into Vince's hands. Laurinaitis has now spent too much time on TV to have nothing to do with the storyline.

It certainly seems like it was Ace to me. Unless Vince has only been written out for a few weeks, it shouldn't be him. And Johnny Ace is the only other person with a grudge against Punk and Cena (which is necessary for the "stick whoever wins" text).

• Paid Members

Speaking of sad, how about Miz? He's gone from the main event at Wrestlemania 27 to selling Subway on Raw. Is he injured or something? Please tell me there's a logical explanation for this.

It's week one. He doesn't want to 'blow his load' when he's just stuck his dick in. Punk did just enough to hint at things to come, like his first Triple H segment. Punk mentioned Oz, Nash calling Eddie a "vanilla midget" & Nash not being relevant in ages, plenty for week one.

Also The Miz has been demoted because WWE don't see him as a main eventer anymore. As I've said all along, he's good in the 'Jericho position' but anything above that and he seems out of place. He needs to step up his game if he wants the attention he had at the start of the year again, what with Punk looking boss since WWE decided to give him a lot of focus.

Fans doing the "What" stuff to Nash was very annoying. As much as I have come to love R-Truth, I wish he'd not re-ignited that old chestnut (not that it really went away).

I definitely think Nash was a bit thrown off by the fans "what"ing, and I think he would have got a bigger reaction if they'd played his old Diesel music, or even the nWo tune. Guys like Piper still get music when they turn up on a random week.

• Paid Members

The crowd was rubbish all night. They only really reacted to Punk and Cena. Rey Mysterio's hometown reaction was really tame too.

Nash is probably just a bit rusty. It can't be easy going in there against someone of Punks calibre, when you haven't cut a proper promo in years. He did get flustered and went on that mental rant until he reached the "waffle house" line. Looking back, Punk deserves credit for getting it back on track. It was still the best segment on Raw.

It's week one. He doesn't want to 'blow his load' when he's just stuck his dick in. Punk did just enough to hint at things to come, like his first Triple H segment. Punk mentioned Oz, Nash calling Eddie a "vanilla midget" & Nash not being relevant in ages, plenty for week one.

I disagree. Punk has stolen the show each and every time he's been permitted to speak, aside from the Oz remark he got no zingers in at all. For two outspoken guys like Punk and Nash to have that lukewarm a confrontation was poor form.

I think there's definitely more in there in terms of material, last night certainly wasn't the best. Nahs was very disjointed for the most of it, Punk would finish speaking and there'd be this awkward gap where it just felt like Nash was waiting to think of something to say.

Like Vito, I was waiting for a killer line but I thought the segment closed really well.

Archived